Knob Jobs AKA Vibrato Bar

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, anthonybisset

anthonybisset
a point to make

Knob Jobs AKA Vibrato Bar

Post by anthonybisset » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:30 am

Many of my Serge Davies knobs and other random knobs I've collected over the years have dual set screw holes. This opened up the obvious possibility of screwing a flat paddle or bar into the second of the set holes and using it as a vibrato control, (+modding knobs by drilling a hole and tapping it is an easy hack).

I haven't found the right paddle/flat/bar so here's a quick demo of some imperfect "Knob Jobs":

Does anybody know of a properly shaped flat/paddle/stick with threads of 6-32 or 4-40 that we could use as a general purpose vibrato bar for applicable knobs (oscillators, freqshift, delay/flange, some filters, etc.)

I was thinking something like:

Flat Oval Nylon Thumb Screws

But it seems there might be a more ergonomic plastic widget out there +I haven't found those in the proper thread sizes.

I was chatting with EPK about this and he suggested we extend knobs to be pressure sensitive by using resistant foam with contact plates on the knob. Perhaps someone will be inspired to implement a pressure sensitive soft-knob.

Anywaze there are a couple of UI benefits to having a finger sweep-able bat besides vibrato.. For instance, if you have a momentary-pushbutton triggered s/h on the module combined with the bat and some surface markings you could naturally play selections without sweeping through all possible values. Simply press the momentary hold, sweep to the new value, release, repeat. Not a piano, but who wants one of those??? For keying in specific pitches or types of sweeps/movements this combo feels pretty good.

namaste,
Anthony Bisset
Last edited by anthonybisset on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:49 am

Heya Anthony,

Have you considered getting something custom fabricated?
I did similar for some metal joystick shafts. Worked out pretty cheaply once 50+ were ordered.
I got a UK based metal shop to do them (PEM Ltd) having done a design in Solidworks software.

anthonybisset
a point to make

Post by anthonybisset » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:04 am

Heya Bugs,
On that tip the knob and bat could be one object.. that'd be really slick... Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't used solidworks but that angle looks promising. I always liked the latronic notron knobs. Doing custom knobs has been a desire for a few years but I didn't think to combine the two.

In the meantime It'd be good to find some bats just to figure out which controls deserve a momentary S&H structure, which can use a bat, and which are best just left a knob.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”