MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Whoops, I bought a Martin guitar!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Whoops, I bought a Martin guitar!
MrBiggs
Don't get too excited, it's a Martin 000X1ae, which is the $500 low end of the Martin line. But fuck you for laughing cause it's my first acoustic and it's a Martin. It speaks Mexican, maybe, but whatever. I played a LOT of acoustic guitars over the last week and this one was the only one under $750 that I liked. Guitar Center was having a 15% off sale so it ended up costing me $425, which makes me really happy.

If you're reading this, you probably give a shit about guitars, so answer me this. Sales dude at Guitar Center talked me into a $29.99 thing by Planet Waves called Humidipak, which is supposed to sit in my guitar while I'm not using it and keep it humidified. He said it would last six months before needing to be replaced, but now that I'm reading about it on the internets I'm seeing that most reviews say more like 1 - 2 months, and many say it's unnecessary. So I'm thinking about taking it back before I open it. Any thoughts on this? If it makes a diff, this guitar is partially made of composite HPL, and the neck is Stratabond which is a pretty fancy plywood material. Meaning it's not gonna warp. Any thoughts?

Muff Wiggler
hell yeah!!! SlayerBadger!

congrats.. man you have killer taste in guitars!! I came so close to buying a Martin when I was shopping for an acoustic...ended up with a Guild but man there is just something awesome about Martins.

nice job!
Babaluma
nice first acoustic dude!

good job you tried it in the shop, especially with acoustics i really think this the only way to choose them. brand and price is not so important as how comfortable if feels to play, and how you like the sound.

re: humidity, and how important it is for acoustics, i think it really depends upon where you live, and how long term you are thinking. i was in japan for twelve years, where there is an INSANE difference between the cold dry winters and the hot humid summers, and every guitar shop i ever went in had the expensive acoustics in a special locker with humidity control, that should tell you something. but my father, who has been playing for over 40 years, lives in the UK, and has just had a custom £3500 acoustic built, has NEVER worried about humidity. yes, i'v essen photos of 1932 Martins ruined by humidity with horrible cracks, etc., but are you still gonna be playing that same guitar in eighty years time? smile
MrBiggs
Thanks Muff.
There's a Guild GAD30 on the Craigslist right now with a tweed case for $500, but I couldn't coordinate a meet up with the owner this weekend, and i had the itch. Plus it didn't have the electronics.

I'm going out to Oregon this summer where a friend of mine is having a camp-out for a night. Her husband happens to be the singer in a band called The Decemberists ( hihi ) and I'd like to take this out with me for campfire shenanigans. Alas, it might be better/easier/safer to take the ukulele instead.
JohnLRice
Sweet! thumbs up
shred
congrats on the new guitar! martins are great all over the price spectrum. as babaluma said humidity is the main concern, really dry climates can cause some warping especially in the neck leading to fret buzzing and eventually loss of those notes where the neck has warped severely. had a lowend washburn acoustic i just got rid of that had this issue in the winter but by the summer it corrected itself. no experience with the humidipak, i used this thing that kinda looked like a snake, rubber outside with a sponge on the inside which would hang from the strings in the soundhole when sitting in the case and that seemed to help. but thats when i was living in dorms- almost the equivalent of an arid desert. not sure what the weather in Oregon is like in the summer but I would think it would be ok, provided your not camping out or anything
CursedFrogurt
MrBiggs wrote:

I'm going out to Oregon this summer where a friend of mine is having a camp-out for a night. Her husband happens to be the singer in a band called The Decemberists ( hihi ) and I'd like to take this out with me for campfire shenanigans. Alas, it might be better/easier/safer to take the ukulele instead.

Screw that! Guitars were made for campfire shenanigans! Take that sucker! Also take the uke, the more the merrier! Maybe ask Colin politely if he could write nice little individual songs again instead of rock operas too, I miss those days hihi
Minimoog56
the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.....drrrrrrrroooonnneeeee

i have had 3 Martins over the years. right now I have a 12 fret 1996 OOO-28GE and a Collings D2H that was made March 1998 the same month My twin daughters were born. My older Hanna learned her early Bob Dylan last year on a Baby Taylor. Now I have to share the 68 Plexi Marshall and 1956 telecaster...
MrBiggs
Well I'm currently in Philadelphia which today is humid, but my house has a.c., and I keep this thing in the case rather than on a stand with my electrics (maybe I should put them all away?).

seriously, i just don't get it

Thanks for the thoughts so far.
MrBiggs
CursedFrogurt wrote:
screw that! Guitars were made for campfire shenanigans! Take that sucker! Also take the uke, the more the merrier! Maybe ask Colin politely if he could write nice little individual songs again instead of rock operas too, I miss those days hihi

You've heard The King is Dead, right? I think he listened. I couldn't stand The Hazards of Love. But this one is good in that individual song ways. I also loved The Crane Wife though.

It's funny, Carson told me not to make him sing Decemberists songs, since that's basically work. Neil Young, Robyn Hitchcock, that's all okay. I'm learning some Iggy, some Fleetwood Mac, bluesy things... All music I'd never listen to but is awfully fun to play.
shred
yea today is a bitch here in the mid-atlantic, but high humidity shouldn't have a negative effect, or at least i've never heard of that happening. should be fine staying in the case in a.c. when not in use, i keep my electric out on a stand too with no worries. winter is really the worst time.
CursedFrogurt
MrBiggs wrote:
CursedFrogurt wrote:
screw that! Guitars were made for campfire shenanigans! Take that sucker! Also take the uke, the more the merrier! Maybe ask Colin politely if he could write nice little individual songs again instead of rock operas too, I miss those days hihi

You've heard The King is Dead, right? I think he listened. I couldn't stand The Hazards of Love. But this one is good in that individual song ways. I also loved The Crane Wife though.

It's funny, Carson told me not to make him sing Decemberists songs, since that's basically work. Neil Young, Robyn Hitchcock, that's all okay. I'm learning some Iggy, some Fleetwood Mac, bluesy things... All music I'd never listen to but is awfully fun to play.

I actually haven't heard The King is Dead. I've been in a melodic mood lately, I'l have to give it a go.

I can certainly see why a musician wouldn't want to play their rep in a relaxing setting. I would think that no matter how much you like a song you've written, once you're obligated to play night after night it just becomes another way of punching the clock. You'd probably get a smile if you asked him to sing Morrisey though. I hope you have a good time, I think it'd be pretty rad to jam out with Colin at a campfire!
sduck
Nice martin!

I should get an acoustic. Apparently I'm not really meant to own one though. The guitar store I go into the most is Gruhn guitars in downtown Nashville, which is a block or 2 from my place of employment. Sometimes I'll go in there during lunch and play a few things, and usually hate them. Once in a while I find one I like, and invariably they're the 4-5K collector type things that I can't possible afford.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1