MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

archangel sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author archangel sequencer
DonaldCrunk
i'm relieved to see them shipping so i can finally trump about how cool this sequencer is. it's really, really cool. during my archangel sessions (i haven't bought one, but i've been around a few) i've always approached it more as an alternative interface than as a traditional step sequencer. the 'position' outputs and the ability to 'hold' the last position touched on the plates is really really killer, and to me it is much more expressive than the pressure outputs that we're all used to.

i can't wait to hear some more people really dig into the angel and make it sing. Jon and Wyretti - cool vids! we want more!
Count Edlington
This looks like it could be the sequencer for me! Great functionality plus rackmountable hyper
tilted
Completely mad.
I love it.
First, I really need to get some projects of my priority pile, but hopefully this will still be around when I'm done.
playrecords
Any info on a European distributor? I asked Schneiders beuro and they said there keen but haven't been approached....

Cheers.
det3
With the stops and starts of the first production run, I haven't wanted to solicit any further sales of Archangel until I fill all current orders. Once I get this done and finish relocating my family from Utah to Louisiana, I'll definitely be getting into the second run which will include european distribution.
playrecords
Thanks for response det3

Seems the perfect front end for my system and will hopefully be my first analog sequencer. thumbs up
playrecords
Good luck with your move!!
opsysbug
Can someone chime in a little more about using this thing with Buchla and the
1.2v issue? Should I stick with a Buchla sequencer?
suitandtieguy
you could build a voltage scaler?

i'm kind of surprised there isn't a module specifically for that.
ear ear
opsysbug wrote:
Can someone chime in a little more about using this thing with Buchla and the
1.2v issue? Should I stick with a Buchla sequencer?

You're after this kind of thing, no?
opsysbug
I can't build shit seriously, i just don't get it
But that trimmer looks cool....

Thanks guys. Still thinking on it.
wyrtti
Why not just get a couple of those Synovatron euro-buchla conversion modules? Or Eardrill's Source Selector modulemodules? They both handle 1V-1,2V stuff.

btw, I'm in the same boat. I want to use the Archangel with my Buchla. smile At least I have midi clock fun now. smile
ATOM
One of the Archangel sequencers has made it to Norway. It's peanut butter jelly time!

I´m in the process of rearranging my main modular and work is taking a lot of time these days, so I haven't spent so much time with it. Dead Banana

What a great machine, I really dig it.
The touchplate keyboard´s pressure and position sensitivity is just so expressive.
Can´t wait to spend some more time with it.

Many thanks to Joe Grisso and all others that have helped to make it we're not worthy

ATOM
Ekofisk
A second one has made it to Norway as well, actually. But is still sitting in customs waiting for me to pick it up.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Ekofisk
So I just picked it up from customs.

It looks great! However, I haven't had a chance to actually turn it on yet. The main reason for this is that, along with MIDI, DIN and up-link connections, the power inlet is on the back of the machine. This means I have to rack-mount it in order to even turn the thing on. I really hate to be negative, but this is, to me at least, completely incomprehensible for a sequencer with touchplates. Maybe it's just me but I would prefer to play the the 16 beautiful touchplates with the sequencer laying on my desk. Given that it is also advertised as either rackmount or tabletop, I would at least like to have been given a choice.

I guess I'd better start looking for a rack I don't really want in my studio, or put the sequencer in a rack where I really don't want it in order to check it out.
playrecords
^ surely there is a way if its advertised as such? A way to move the power to the rear rather than bottom (I think that's what you mean) .... Maybe theres optional side plates/feet as a thought.

but as a work around (to at least fire it up) sit it on some catalogues (or something) to raise it off your desk.

Hope you get it running soon.

L
Ekofisk
I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to relocate the power etc. if there is, I would certainly like to know. I will probably make a couple of makeshift desktop stands to be able to position it on the desk, but if this turns out to be the only way for desktop use, I am more than a bit annoyed.
det3
Archangel is designed to be primarily rack mounted, but I am working with a wood shop to get some nice end caps for tabletop mounting. I was hoping to make them available when I started shipping, but my vendor has been slow in getting back with me.
Ekofisk
Thanks for responding, Joe. It is my opinion that you might want to ask Analogue Haven to un-check the "tabletop" box in their description of the sequencer. I also think that it should positively be made clear that it is impossible to use as a desktp box, as I think it's pretty safe to assume that some people might want their touch-plate sequencer flat on their desk.

Another question, is the position output stepped or in any way quantized? When testing it, I certainly heard stepping. I couldn't find any info about this.
Dave Peck
det3 wrote:
Archangel is designed to be primarily rack mounted, but I am working with a wood shop to get some nice end caps for tabletop mounting. I was hoping to make them available when I started shipping, but my vendor has been slow in getting back with me.

I am assuming the Archangel uses a wall-wart style external power supply that attaches to the unit with a small circular connector, rather than an internal power supply with a large detachable IEC power cord?

Then if I could make a suggestion, you could include four rubber feet (adhesive-backed "3M Bumpon" feet work well) and use an external power supply that has a molded right-angle DC connector to connect to the Archangel. The rubber feet will give just enough clearance for the right angle DC power connector and allow the unit to sit flat on a tabletop.
Ekofisk
Provided the rubber feet are big enough, that is a good idea.
Nelson Baboon
det3 wrote:

I wonder if there is any progress on this?

I picked up an Archangel used about a month ago, and I must say that it is one of my favorite sequencers ever. I've tried a few.

The touch plates are really very responsive, so I actually haven't minded too much having them in a rack, but depending on the details, it might be really nice to set this up as a desktop model. But I think I'd like it on a tilt - might even be better in a rack...
EMwhite
Nelson Baboon wrote:
The touch plates are really very responsive, so I actually haven't minded too much having them in a rack, but depending on the details, it might be really nice to set this up as a desktop model. But I think I'd like it on a tilt - might even be better in a rack...

If Det3/STG sold a Touchplate only product (maybe with quantizer section added in), I think they would sell dozens.

From what I have seen the touchplates are very responsive and generously spaced. Between it and the quantizer/scaling pot controlled functions, there can't be more behind it than a piece of very well written code and some basic electronics to drive; Leave off the 64 pots, switches, most of the jacks, heck, even the display and it will leave behind a product which is very appealing not available elsewhere.

I've considered many times purchasing some of the Euro 'playing surface' type products they all seem so small and low-end.
Nelson Baboon
Just one comment about something that quite pleased me about the archangel....

From looking at the docs, and what he had online, I thought that the tempo would be constrained by midi. I don't remember what the range is - something like 30 to 300.

Of course, that is well below 'audio rate'.

But this thing can go VERY fast when you clock it with an analog signal. Combining that with the touchplates, etc, can be amusing. Plus (like the tkb) you can sequence vertically and horizontally at totally different tempos.

I'm tempted at some point to see if I can get a banana version. I recall (?) that initially he made a few in that format, but I might not be remembering correctly.
Kent
A banana version certainly intrigues me as well. I'd consider springing for something like that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 9 of 11