Plague Bearer FM?

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, computer controlled, flight

Repeater
Phantom Powers

Plague Bearer FM?

Post by Repeater » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on a couple of barebones bearers. Just wondering how the PB responds to audio rate CV. Can anyone direct me to a sound clip or make one real quick?

Also, wondering what's the highest voltage that the CV ins can take without blowing up. I plan to abuse...

CursedFrogurt
Square Enthusiast

Re: Plague Bearer FM?

Post by CursedFrogurt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Repeater wrote:I'm about to pull the trigger on a couple of barebones bearers. Just wondering how the PB responds to audio rate CV. Can anyone direct me to a sound clip or make one real quick?

Also, wondering what's the highest voltage that the CV ins can take without blowing up. I plan to abuse...
I don't know what the highest voltage CV ins can take, but it tends to spit out some pretty hot signals, and I've fed the PB standalone back into itself out the wazoo and had no ill effects.

I'll wham up something with some FM on the CV's for you in a few minutes.

[edit] Here we go!
http://soundcloud.com/artrythall/pbfm

First I fade in the audio signal being processed by the PB (Anti-Osc), and then the PB modulator (AFG). I then fade in the PB output, without any modulation. I play around with the High knob. Then I plug the AFG into the High input on the PB, and off we go. I start off by changing the modulation depth with channel 2 of the Maths. The I manually tweak the frequency of the AFG. Next, I put some wogglebug stepped voltages into the pitch cv of the Anti, and then the AFG. A little bit later, I invert the pitch CV to the AFG. Finally, I switch the modulation to the low input, and then to the gain input, and back to the high input I think.

infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Post by infradead » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:22 pm

i <3 my PB...

and stuff like this makes me treasure it even more..

i give it audio rate stuff all the time and mine still works.
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo

Repeater
Phantom Powers

Post by Repeater » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:57 pm

thanks! sounds kinda similar to my doepfer 106-1 when i overload the cv inputs. yum.

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:15 pm

@ CursedFrogurt: Thanks for the sample!
@ Repeater: Don't worry, all inputs of the Plague Bearer are guaranteed to be able to handle any signal that is generated from a eurorack synth* without being damaged - so anything within ±12V, at any frequency. I can't guarantee what it'll sound like, but it won't hurt it at all.

*This is assuming that the PB is a module in said eurorack. Always use signals that are within the levels of the power supply that the PB is using. If ±9V (batteries), then only signals within ±9V, and so on. Never use signals from an external system that has higher outputs.
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

Repeater
Phantom Powers

Post by Repeater » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:27 pm

flight wrote:@ CursedFrogurt: Thanks for the sample!
@ Repeater: Don't worry, all inputs of the Plague Bearer are guaranteed to be able to handle any signal that is generated from a eurorack synth* without being damaged - so anything within ±12V, at any frequency. I can't guarantee what it'll sound like, but it won't hurt it at all.

*This is assuming that the PB is a module in said eurorack. Always use signals that are within the levels of the power supply that the PB is using. If ±9V (batteries), then only signals within ±9V, and so on. Never use signals from an external system that has higher outputs.
Good to know. Thanks!

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:38 am

Just got a Dual Plague Bearer recently in a bunch of stuff I got from Muff. Today was the first chance I've had to have a play with it, and all I can say is it really is the ultimate noise module!!

Here's a couple of recordings from my explorations earlier today - this is mostly the Dual Plague Bearer feeding back into itself, but also used a Megaohm Delta filter in the loop, and a bit of Noise Ring for modulation - the output was then processed through a Time Machine. Recordings are a bit long, but I was having too much fun!

http://www.solitary-sound.com/audioflz/ ... earer2.mp3

http://www.solitary-sound.com/audioflz/ ... earer3.mp3

FetidEye
demonic space drone

mad

Post by FetidEye » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:04 pm

WOW nice freak sessions!!!

planning to get a PB barebones kit.. now i'm sure :)
my modular will be the ultimate noise machine

Return to “Flight of Harmony”