MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A couple of questions (one maybe obvious)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A couple of questions (one maybe obvious)
richardm123uk
Hello All,

I have a couple of questions, probably obvious but as I am pretty new to modulars I thought I would ask.

1. How do sync two oscillators?. I have 2 x RS95 and I cannot figure out how to play both of them at the same time. I have an A-190-1 and obviously the CV1 goes to the CV-In1V\Oct of the RS95 but that only lets me track the single odcillator. I am a bit confused. My kit as it stands is

2 x AS RS95
AS RS310 (Reverb/Chorus)
2 x AS RS180 (VCA)
AS RS40 (Noise S/H)
AS RS500E (Synthi Filter)
AS RS510E (Trapezoid Generator)
AS RS20 (ring mod & multiple)
Plan B M12
Plan B M9
Plan B M24
Plan B M26
Make Noise QMMG
Livewire AFG
Livewire Dalek
Livewire Vulcan
Doepfer A190-1
Doepfer A180
Deopfer A140
Deopfer A-198

This brings me to question 2.

In my sudden craze for modular have I missed out a really important module!.

Cheers,
Richard
Aesoteric
Simple answer: Multiples! They simply split a signal to multiple outputs.

The bottom of your ASys Ring Mod is a multiple - plug the CV1 output of your A190-1 into the multiple, and it is split to all the other outputs, so then you can connect both oscillators.

Hey presto.

I'd say its worth picking up another couple of multiples - they are enormously useful. Aside from that, for a new system - you have some amazing gear! I must admit I'm a little jealous.
richardm123uk
Doh!!!, of course. Thank you!. Yes, I went a little crazy after starting with 5 modules last November. I am completely blown away with my system. The creative process for me using a modlar is perfect.

Cheers,
Richard
ndkent
In a pinch one can use a Y cable if you just need a couple extras. Multiples would be the obvious choice. Though in some conditions trying to drive multiple VCOs from simple multiples gets frustrating if you encounter a voltage droop from a lack of buffering issue. That means several VCOs that on their own track pitch fine now don't track pitch quite right when driven from a single source.

Analogue Systems suggests you use their buffer module with VCOs. Doepfer thinks it's a good idea to do so with more than 2. Your results can vary. If you use a MIDI to CV converter you can probably compensate with scaling if everything is drooping the same amount.

But I'd try and see if everything tracks ok before you buy something you don't need. Also check a module on it's own, because if it never tracked correctly on it's own a buffer sure won't magically fix things, it's for when modules track okay separate but lose voltage when all connected.
Cat-A-Tonic
Another thing to mention is that oscillators often have sync inputs.
Most of these expect a square wave at this input.
Some are pickier than others about how sharp the square is.

The Blacet VCO is super picky about sync, but will work fine with any source (even guitar!)
that is first squared up through a Window Comparator or similar device like an A-189 Bit Crusher.

The TipTop Z3000 has a couple of sync inputs.
I think one of these inputs is much more omnivorous than most, and open to eating any waveform input!
dkcg
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Another thing to mention is that oscillators often have sync inputs.
Most of these expect a square wave at this input.
Some are pickier than others about how sharp the square is.

The Blacet VCO is super picky about sync, but will work fine with any source (even guitar!)
that is first squared up through a Window Comparator or similar device like an A-189 Bit Crusher.

The TipTop Z3000 has a couple of sync inputs.
I think one of these inputs is much more omnivorous than most, and open to eating any waveform input!

The RS-95 has a hard sync input. Basically, every time a rising edge (I think) like in a pulse wave is present, the synced oscilator starts it's cycle over like a reset. Sounds great when the slave (synced) oscillator is higher frequency than the master oscillator, but lower frequencies can give you some interesting stuff sometimes. The 95 syncs extremely tightly (hard sync). The PlanB Model 15 (Rev 2 and up, not sure about before that) has a soft sync, which I think is locking into different harmonics of the master oscillator. A completely different sound than the RS-95 when synced. Almost like a cat in heat sorta sound. Reeeeooooowwwwww
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1