MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Electrokraft MV-CBA1 "Music Vision Circuit Board"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Electrokraft MV-CBA1 "Music Vision Circuit Board"
pulse_divider
Has anyone ever used one of these?
I bought one 10+ years ago and just found it sitting in storage. It's a fully populated board with no housing or power supply and I never got around to getting it running so I forgot about it. It's a video synth with stereo audio in and video out.
It looks like it runs on +5V and bipolar 15V so it would probably be easy to put in my Frac modular if I could somehow get a 5V source integrated.
Those of you with experience with this model, is it cool enough to justify the effort or should I just ebay it?
lizlarsen
Very cool! I have never heard about this before.
What chips are on the board? Do you have schematics? It should be possible to get a rough idea of how it works and what to expect out of it.
pulse_divider
It has a manual with a "theory of operation" though I know nothing about video synthesis so the tech stuff is over my head. But what is says is that it converts an audio signal into X and Y components that are 90 phase shifted relative to each other and derives a video signal from it.
"... generates a Lissajous-like pattern on the TV screen when music is applied... audio frequency content of the input signal is used to determine the color of the video pattern being displayed".

Just went through the manual again and looks like it might be kinda cool, you can adjust the freq-color assignment via a jumper board.
There are full schematics in the manual. Does this company still exist? If not I could scan/post them but don't want to infringe on any copyrights.
pulse_divider
Also, the circuit board is dated 1994 and I bought it prob. in the late 90s, so that's the timeframe.
There's a card in the box from audiovisualizers.com so that's where I likely got it from. I looked at their website and couldn't find any info.
daverj
I found some Synthtopia stories about several products from Electrokraft, which seems to be a company that was run by a guy named Tony Amendolare. The Electrokraft site seems dead at this point, so I guess he's not doing it any more. Didn't find any mention of that video device.
lizlarsen
I can't seem to find any mention of it online either, it sounds like a cool device! Certain aspects sound similar to the Atari Video Music, and others (like the phase shifter) sound similar to projects like this one. I would love to see a scan of the manual/schematics if you feel like sharing it.

You should definitely turn it into a module for your Frac system! Have some buffered DC coupled inputs so you can use CV with it, and patch the color selection jumpers to toggle switches.
revmutt
Audiovisualizers did sell a product or two in kit form and for an extra fee assembled. I remember it being later, maybe early 2000's.
snufkin
damn son!

so jelous of this please upload some video and pic/manual

love that kind of stuff

was aware of the old/unavailable Audiovisualizers kit but not that it was Electrokraft made.
fletch
I have one, it's pretty cool. Uses an FPGA chip to produce a basic digital Lissajou type display of stereo audio. Doesn't really have much in the way of user controls, a bit of a one trick pony. I was also thinking of putting it in my FRAC setup, let us know if you do that. I would also be interested in figuring out how to give it +5V where it wants that, maybe a regulator would work, I don't really see why it needs separate supplies.
lizlarsen
A simple regulator circuit from the +15V rail would probably work OK, just use the circuit in the 7805 datasheet. Do you have any videos of it in action? Would be curious to see.
fletch
I'll put something together, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.
pulse_divider
I finally got a chance to scan the manual, i'll attempt to attach it here.
fletch
Here are a couple experiments with the device.

video 1: mono (one channel only) audio

video 2: modular synth oscillators: one on L, one on R
Warning LOUD audio
This video is more compressed than the first one. I'm not sure why that grey bar is there, i think vimeo did it in the encoding.

pulse_divider
Thanks for posting that video.
How does it behave when fed a clean unmodulated saw or pulse wave, would it be usable as a really ghetto oscilloscope?
daverj
pulse_divider wrote:
Thanks for posting that video.
How does it behave when fed a clean unmodulated saw or pulse wave, would it be usable as a really ghetto oscilloscope?

From the description, it will always make circles or Lissajous patterns.

But...... there is a Euro oscilloscope (and audio tools) module coming soon. (it's in final prototype stage now). Two channel scope, level meter, VU meter, and spectrum analyzer all in 8HP. The Jones "O'Tool". Available in September. (price hasn't been set yet)
snufkin
oh cool on both counts (videos and up an coming module)
fletch
whelp, It doesn't look like the board can be used for a frac module, it extends too far back d'oh! . I might put it in an enclosure, but would have to add a little power board to get the +/-15V and +5V from an AC wall wart.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1