Octave Module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

smitty
Wiggling with Experience

Octave Module

Post by smitty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:45 am

Looking for a module that takes a midi-> CV in and allows for multiple selectable stepped octave outputs. Thought of multiple Tiptop Z3000s chained, but instead of buying 3 or 4 Z3000s, were looking for a 1 in 4 out kind of thing. Any ideas?

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:10 am

A divider could get you octave down in several steps...
Is that what you mean? or do you need an octave up?

There are lots of different divider modules.
Most of them are pulse based (designed for rhythm).

Doepfer makes a Trautonium style one with saws.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:15 am

good thing is that this will be done in cv - before it hits the module, correct?

yes: Basically like the octave switches on a synth, right?
If so then it's easy - since the system is 1v/oct... you just add 1v per octave you want to jump up.
If you want it cv-controlled then you could use an envelope generator, fire that into a mixer and tune it to get 1volt out, mix it with the original cv and then you can trigger the 1v jumps by sustaining the ADSR

No: I want it after the fact - post-oscillator A lot trickier; what cat-a-tonic said: A divider/ sub-oscillator module, and then you play the highest octave and divide down from there.

Doepfer makes a vc divider that would be fun for this, I reckon?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:55 am

Wouldn't injecting a DC Voltage offset work here? Perhaps using a DC mixer would help?

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:37 am

The ASys RS420 seems to be exactly what you are looking for (CV +- 1v steps). Originally included on their Sorcerer keyboard I think.

fwiw:
From what I understand frequency dividers (working on audio) look at zero crossings and "square" up the input wave. Doepfer's Trautonium one is digital, wants to see squares but shapes the outut to saws. If you wanted to you could further shape the raw wave externally on output. Though you will never get the same wave back unless your wave is square to begin with :-)

The division factor is made by counting and skipping x number of the zero crossings. So /1 would just square the wave. /2 would be an octave down. /4 would be 2 octaves, etc. You can in theory do /1.5 and the steps like /3 are subharmonics rather than even tempered notes, some will be near sale steps and the octaves will match since even tempered scales have "true" octaves. But you will get subharmonics that fall in varying degrees of standard scale steps

P.S. Doepfer's VC divider reminds me in a good way of chipsound video games because you get steppy square waves running down or back in pitch.

noisesource

Post by noisesource » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:52 pm

The Doepfer A-185-2 is what you want.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a185-2/

8 octaves.

noisesource

Post by noisesource » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:54 pm

oh wait, i wrong. nevermind. thats just for a single octave steps. :doh:

smitty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smitty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:57 pm

ndkent wrote:The ASys RS420 seems to be exactly what you are looking for (CV +- 1v steps). Originally included on their Sorcerer keyboard I think.
This is exactly what I was trying to describe, now let's see if it's exactly what we need.

Thanks for the help everyone. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Veqtor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:07 pm

They should make one which turns any gate into a voltage corresponding to like... 1 semitone, a second, a small third etc which can be selected using a rotary switch...

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Veqtor wrote:They should make one which turns any gate into a voltage corresponding to like... 1 semitone, a second, a small third etc which can be selected using a rotary switch...
That's the main thing I use my mixer for.

Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Veqtor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm

yeah but like, having a rotary switch would make things so much easier... but... of course.. you can use the quantizer module... but I want a quantizer with more scales... and like... to be able to make a sequence of scales...

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Veqtor wrote:yeah but like, having a rotary switch would make things so much easier... but... of course.. you can use the quantizer module... but I want a quantizer with more scales... and like... to be able to make a sequence of scales...
A quantitizer compared to something that adds voltage to transpose are whole different concepts.

The rotary switch idea would be easy enough to do. Precisely trim down some available bus voltage to the amounts you want and mix it with the original in a voltage mixer. It won't correct pitch at all but will raise or lower it an exact amount, what I mean is if your note is a 20 cents sharp or something you'll still be a the same 20 cents sharp, only transposed to a different step in the scale

As for programmable quantitizing, that really calls for digital programming. A still digital but low tech method would be to have CV control of a user made custom wavetable can achieve this though resolution of the wavetable may not be enough depending on resolution. You'd write a stepped table with flat steps for the correct voltage values you want to quantitize to.

Reptil
In space no one can hear you wiggle

Post by Reptil » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Veqtor wrote:yeah but like, having a rotary switch would make things so much easier... but... of course.. you can use the quantizer module... but I want a quantizer with more scales... and like... to be able to make a sequence of scales...
+1
I use a mixer plus a quantiser now.

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Veqtor wrote:but I want a quantizer with more scales... and like... to be able to make a sequence of scales...

smitty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smitty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:54 pm

Volta and Live 8 with MAX/MSP is going to be Nirvana for CV control. I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!! :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

Phoeps figured out an Octave solution in Live that works for now.

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:58 pm

I just want to jump in here and say that I hope that someone like Malekko jumps in and produces a euro module that will be comparable to an EHX Multiplexor, MXR Blue Box, or something that provides octave up, octave down, dry signal, square wave out, and all mixable with cv's.

Man do I love how octave pedals fuck up when they can't track the incoming signal.
Heavy Lids

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:10 am

smitty wrote:Volta and Live 8 with MAX/MSP is going to be Nirvana for CV control. I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!! :guinness:
Volta AND maxMSP is sooo redundant - you can do the Volta things with MaxMSP already!

I hope to make my modular properly polyphonic this weekend with Max! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:19 am

wetterberg wrote:
smitty wrote:Volta and Live 8 with MAX/MSP is going to be Nirvana for CV control. I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!! :guinness:
Volta AND maxMSP is sooo redundant - you can do the Volta things with MaxMSP already!

I hope to make my modular properly polyphonic this weekend with Max! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
Are you going to add tuning calibration within max? Or tune the oscillators manually?

You should name it the Wetta patch. :) :guinness:

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:26 am

dkcg wrote:Are you going to add tuning calibration within max? Or tune the oscillators manually?
I've never found it difficult to tune an oscillator, tbh - I get that an automatically calibrating system can be convenient, but I prefer the open-ended approach with Max - especially because I'll be piping out auxillary oscillators from max - and samples. For instance I've replicated the CGS Master Divider in Max - took an hour or so, with a nice logic section strapped to it.

- so I reckon that instead of being pitch calibration and LFOs and such it's more like actual modules that can be cross-modulated and so on with Max.

smitty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smitty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:04 am

wetterberg wrote:

I'm only looking forward to Volta for the CV out via an inexpensive interface.

smitty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smitty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:07 am

Max/MSP however, that's another story. Boman is the Man!

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:13 am

smitty wrote:I'm only looking forward to Volta for the CV out via an inexpensive interface.
well, MaxMSP will do that already, and has done it for a while. ;)

smitty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smitty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:21 am

wetterberg wrote:
smitty wrote:I'm only looking forward to Volta for the CV out via an inexpensive interface.
well, MaxMSP will do that already, and has done it for a while. ;)
Indeed. But it hasn't been built in to Live. I was ready to get the M/M, but now waiting for Live 8. :bang: :bang:

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:26 am

yeah mate, trust me: Live 8 and Max-for-Live is going to be so rad, especially for us modular users.... shit, I just realized:

Max for Live generating CV to control oscillators -> BEAT REPEAT!!!!
or through a lowpass for slewing? or a delay plugin for... uhm, I don't even know! haha

Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Veqtor » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:32 am

or... the little circuit-bendable buffer effect i pre'd on some CV voltages:
http://soundcloud.com/veqtor/glitchfreak-teaser

god dammit I have to get a motu interface!
I'm also eyeing this to get some gates:
http://www.elby-designs.com/panther/ed1 ... /ed103.htm

too bad the inputs aren't dc-coupled as well... I was hoping I'd be able to record cv's from my modular and such...

One more thing, this guy has made a multi-touch API for Max, which means it will be possible to control Live8 via multitouch...
Imagine the possibilities!!!
:party:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/03/2 ... work-pymt/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”