MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I'm addicted to Phasers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author I'm addicted to Phasers.
dkcg
Now I have 4 phaser pedals. Slowly making my way to the hard stuff, maybe the 297 later this year once my phase tolerance is a bit higher...

Anyone else have a similar pedal addiction?
Popski
I worked my way through a bunch of delays.. Digitech, DD3, DD7, Carbon Copy, MF104, El Capistan, DM-2..

and now I'm also onto phasers.. although I already know what I'm saving my twoonies for..
dkcg
Popski wrote:
I worked my way through a bunch of delays.. Digitech, DD3, DD7, Carbon Copy, MF104, El Capistan, DM-2..

and now I'm also onto phasers.. although I already know what I'm saving my twoonies for..

I almost went down the delay road. I have 2 now, Malekko bright and a analogman ad-20 or something, had 4 at one point, even more if you count the euro ones I had. Crap, I just realized I was addicted to delays, I didn't just almost go down that road. d'oh! lol

Which phaser do you got your eye on? I got the Moog, Cusack, Empress, and the ModeMachines Krautrock today (bday present to myself). The Cwejman stereo phaser's really nice, I miss it. I think I'm done with pedals and want the buchla phaser next. hopefully in fall, late summer if I behave. I think I like the moog and the krautrock the best, but the empress has the most functional density.
Popski
The krautrock!
Preferably one of Norman phay's builds since they look amazing and sound so heavenly..

I will also have a Mooger shortly for my touring rig..
I actually really like the Moog as well
david walker
The Ams DM2:20 is really worth a listen if you can find one!
Kent
I'm right there with you, DK. When I was semi-pro-am guitarist, phasors were my favorite modulation boxes. I still have a somewhat smaller mountain o' phase boxen in storage. I'm trying to stick to the 297 for now.

Delays are also a sickness of mine although I've been clearing that herd as well. The 296e and a 2nd case have a way of focusing one's money. I'm trying to keep the delays down to the Korg A1 and my K&T DN36. I'm still trying to find someone who will take my MF-104 off of my hands for a decent price.

Before moving to Hamburg, I had over 100 pedals racked up on some Ikea-esque furniture. I think that I've reduced the pedal count down to 60 or so now.
MindMachine
dkcg wrote:
Now I have 4 phaser pedals. Slowly making my way to the hard stuff, maybe the 297 later this year once my phase tolerance is a bit higher...

Well which do you have? hyper
MindMachine
Kent wrote:
Before moving to Hamburg, I had over 100 pedals racked up on some Ikea-esque furniture. I think that I've reduced the pedal count down to 60 or so now.

Uh... Kent, you animal, do you have any pictures of this monster. That may be the biggest pedal collection I have ever heard of. WTF. Tell us more.... show us.... that is epic (my word of the day). Morley's, Ibanez, DOD, Maestro, Rat, MXR, Boss, Ross, ???????

Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
antimatter
dkcg wrote:

okay, the hard stuff:

eventide 'instant phaser' - http://www.modezero.com/instant_phaser.htm

maestro PS1A - http://www.modezero.com/maestro-ps1a.htm

systech phase shifter - http://www.modezero.com/systech-phasers.htm
James Mandible
dkcg wrote:
I got the Moog, Cusack, Empress, and the ModeMachines Krautrock today (bday present to myself).

So I have to ask, do you think the Kraut is worth the money? I've been eyeing it but the videos I've seen of it haven't convinced me that it's so much better than anything else to shell out the couple (several!) extra hundred bux

Of course I say this as someone who's about to buy an EH small stone because I'm too broke for anything fancier
m0n0mania
2 Small Stones, a Maestro stage phaser & A TC Electronics xii over here, plus those lurking around in GP8 & other bits.
RealDudes
Never been into phasers
maybe there's something wrong with me
dkcg
James Mandible wrote:
dkcg wrote:
I got the Moog, Cusack, Empress, and the ModeMachines Krautrock today (bday present to myself).

So I have to ask, do you think the Kraut is worth the money? I've been eyeing it but the videos I've seen of it haven't convinced me that it's so much better than anything else to shell out the couple (several!) extra hundred bux

Of course I say this as someone who's about to buy an EH small stone because I'm too broke for anything fancier

I'm sure some of the high price is shipping and importing from Germany. The build quality, feels like a tank. I haven't looked at it through a scope yet, but it is the only phaser I have that will self oscillate, and certainly sounds different than the others. If you can DIY, I'd do that since I understand this is based on the JH phaser (or is that design), probably be a lot cheaper, but considering it's handbuilt and shipped halfway around the world, it's not that much more expensive than a Moog phaser. I had a chance to play with it before I bought it at BCM, so it suited my ears. Yours may vary, but it is quickly rising up to the top of my phaser list. It sounds fantastic tho. w00t
pulse_divider
I love them too!
My current fav is the Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter... nice and deep and can go reaaalllly slooooowww.
indexofmetals
I love phasers, especially the ones where you can turn the modulation off: Lovetone Doppleganger (with the slow & squarewave upgrade); Prophecysound Infinitphase; univibe clone in my Captain Coconut II; original Phase 90; Blackout Effectors Whetstone; & Frequency Central Sonic Death Ray 14 stage phaser on the way.
Kent
MindMachine wrote:

Uh... Kent, you animal, do you have any pictures of this monster. That may be the biggest pedal collection I have ever heard of. WTF. Tell us more.... show us.... that is epic (my word of the day). Morley's, Ibanez, DOD, Maestro, Rat, MXR, Boss, Ross, ???????

Ha-ha!!! Well, it could well be possible that I have some photos laying about the hard-drive. If I stumble upon them, I'll post 'em.

Almost all of them are packed away for now. I'm really trying to limit my options at the moment. Stashed somewhere is a Morley Rotating Wah, an EHX Bad Stone, an EHX Small Stone, a Maestro Mini-Phase, an Option 5 Destination Rotation (older big box unit), a JEN phaser and who knows what else...
Dirk95100
Just sold my Small Stone Phaser.
This one is the best I´ve ever heard:

The Small Stone is good, but a 1 trick pony: Warm, lush, creamy but also a bit muffled and lacking air. Instant Jarre strings.
The RH Dual Phaser has it all: Warm creamy lows, liquid highs, airy 3d sound, rings nicely when exited by a transient, great at audio rate modulation and has a filter mode to. I just can´t go back anymore.
James Mandible
dkcg wrote:

I'm sure some of the high price is shipping and importing from Germany. The build quality, feels like a tank. I haven't looked at it through a scope yet, but it is the only phaser I have that will self oscillate, and certainly sounds different than the others. If you can DIY, I'd do that since I understand this is based on the JH phaser (or is that design), probably be a lot cheaper, but considering it's handbuilt and shipped halfway around the world, it's not that much more expensive than a Moog phaser. I had a chance to play with it before I bought it at BCM, so it suited my ears. Yours may vary, but it is quickly rising up to the top of my phaser list. It sounds fantastic tho. w00t

ah cool, thanks for the info! Yr probably right about the higher price being at least partially due to importing. For some reason I was thinking the Fooger phaser self-oscillates, but maybe I'm thinking of a different 'fooger or just misremembering completely. Nice to know the build quality is solid, maybe I'll splurge and get one in a couple of months.
Delta T
Long ago (1970's) I used to have a Small Stone - really liked it. It was my first effect pedal. Eventually got a Musitronics phase shifter (unfortunately couldn't afford the Bi-Phase at the time) and had that for a number of years. It eventually died and I took it to store to get it repaired and it 'disappeared' never to be seen again. Ended up getting a MXR Phase 100 which was ok for while. Eventually got off the phaser habit though I've started thinking about them again. For a while I was really hooked on chorus pedals but not so much any more.
smetak
I have an Earthquaker Grand Orbiter, reasonably priced and decent enough. No doubt, a very honest effect. Also bought a Whetstone phaser, which is very well built; took a peek inside and found an excellently mounted PCB board and not the crap you usually find inside boutique pedals. But the sound is a bit wanting, especially if you want something a bit more, eh?, "out there". Between both of these, I would found the Grand Orbiter better and a tad cheaper.

Yet, still, went out to pester a good friend of mine who has built the phaser here pictured, which flawless and perfect - and even comes with a "stepped/sequencer" effect - by far, the best of the bunch - I have pestered him a bit more to also assemble an eurorack version of the thing, which has just come out of the oven.[img][/img]
pulse_divider
Looks very cool!
The Earthquaker stuff is built down the street from me by a friend... I've been bugging him to add CV inputs and repackage as euro/frac modules. No luck so far but every time I show him a patch on my frac system I think I get a little closer.
dkcg
So many phasers... cry

I think I have enough for now, the next one will be the Buchla 297.

I ran a buchla oscillator (261e) through the krautrock phaser (no vcas, straight in), took that stereo out and put it through the T-Resonator. I know this is the simplest thing I've patched in years. 1, maybe 2 bananas to get a LFO to the timbre, the rest is krautrock and t-resonator.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/ibdk/261e-vs-krp-1-vs-t-resonator[/s]
MindMachine
dkcg - that sounds amazing! Sounds like LULL Journey Through Underworlds sped up a little. Very cool.

My 'current' phaser pedal list is a Boss PH-3 (which has a few cool settings) and an old Castle Phaser III. I hope to get an A/DA Final Phase re-issue. They are great. I had an old Oberhiem Phaser and it was pretty boring (case rocked though!). Final Phase looks good... w00t

edit: Christ - just realized I have an EH Worm too (which does phase shift). But I really need that Fianl Phase reissue. I mean it's obvious.

update edit: forgot I have an Alesis Faze (sounds like a Leslie on electric bass) AND scored the Final Phase that was delivered today. zombie
dkcg
Is there anything like a T-Phaser equivalent of a T-Resonator? twin analog phasers with a true stereo DSP effect mixable in 2 cross modulatable channels?

Phasers remind me of a distant rebellious to be different cousin of bandpass filters, and a T-Phaser came to mind.
Kayzer
I know your pain and you are not alone.

I am proud to own an Infinitphase, Halophaze, Empress Phaser and I am still GASing for a Quasar DLX from Subdecay…
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7