MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adding a polysynth (Sys-ex editor)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Adding a polysynth (Sys-ex editor)
bwandice
I've been looking very closely into getting a Yamaha sk20 and was wondering if anyone has laid their hands one its keys? I love how you can mix in its different strings/polysynth/organ sections, and it seems very comparable (and cheaper) to Roland's rs505.
Also, VSE does say that it has CV/gate controls, but from all the pictures of it I have seen on the internet of it's back panel, it seems to not - which would be a big downer.

thoughts?
Pozor
There's no CV/Gate on my SK20 and there's no mentioning of this facility in the manual either. All sound sources of the SK20 are para/polyphonic anyway. The SK30 and SK50D have solo synth sections. I presume that these have CV/Gate for this section. [just checked the SK30 manual: yep, CV/gate for the solo section, even a proprietary connector for keyboard output]

I love the organ sound of the SK20. Mmm, now you've got me lusting for a SK30. SK50D is too big and heavy, can't lift that one into the attic!

You can check the manuals at the Yamaha website or find it here

(SK30): http://www.retrevo.com/support/Yamaha-SK-30-manual/id/961bh835/t/2/

(SK20): http://www.retrevo.com/s/Yamaha-SK-20-review-manual/id/961bh836/t/1-2/
bwandice
Are there really any string/polysynths that have CV/Gate control? or is that more of a mono synth deal?
Pozor
Yeah, you'd need a cv input for every key (key number) and a gate input to trigger the envelope for each note that you play. I noticed that the SK30 (but not the SK20) has a connector that allows for polyphony or at least paraphony (= no separate envelopes for VCF and/or VCA). Nice stuff if you're into electronics. Check the manual.

I'd advice to get the SK20, prices are stable at the moment.
bwandice
Well I have also been looking at the ARP Solina string ensemble, and VSE also says it has CV/Gate controls (http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/string.php), is it too good to be true?
pulse_divider
The Solina doesn't have CV/Gate either.
No string machine does.
You'd need a gate input for every key.
Some string machines have a gate or trigger output but it's not polyphonic or anything, just there to let you trigger an envelope or whatnot.

I personally think that the Solina is horribly overpriced, the only thing that sounds good on it is the chorus, switch it off and it sounds like ass. These days you can get an Elkorus for "that" chorus sound and that's really the only trick the Solina has up its sleeve.

I love string machines, though, and prefer the brute force approach of the Korgs--- instead of a weedy little single osc through a triple chorus, use 3 detunable oscillators! To me the PE-2000 and Lambda are the best of the stringers.

I have a Yamaha SK-50D and like it as well. I've never used a 20 or 30 but am sure the basic sound is the same and the feature set is different. The strings sound good but aren't terribly flexible, though layering them with the organ and polysynth sections can tend to make up for that.
Even if prices were the same these days I'd pick a Yamaha over a Solina, but the Solina seems to have gone through the roof so that would make it a no brainer for me.
oozitron
I have wanted to have a "real" string machine for years, lusting after an Omni, Solina, etc. A while back I got an SK-30 off CList for very cheap. I am extremely happy with the strings! The organ is quite nice too.

I say go for it It's peanut butter jelly time!

Drew
bwandice
Yeah, I'm just so hesitant because I really want some sort of sequential control. Now I'm Looking at others, right now my fantasy is the Roland JX-3p racked (mks-30). That, and that PG-200 look REAL attractive to me. This flux from wanting a string synth to wanting a a nice polysynth makes me feel so capricious. hihi d'oh!
oozitron
If you're into building things, Jurgen Haible's "Solina" chorus does a remarkable job of turning a simple polysynth into a very reasonable stringer.

I run my Juno-6 thru it and it's very nice.

Drew
bwandice
I am also wondering; what is the difference between the hardware of an oberheim 6r (http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/mat6.php) and an Oberheim Matrix 1000 (http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/mat1000.php)?

With both of those racks, that can only be edited by a software editor/librarian, can that sort of software edit parameters of the synths in real time? I guess what I'm asking is, what exactly is a Sys-ex Editor?
ndkent
You can't really expect CV in when most of the selling point is the paraphonic technology. Now if you have an instrument that triggers a monosynth on top of the organ technology then there is the possibility that it can be modded. If the monosynth portion is triggered by something standard like Hz/V like on other Yamahas it can likely be tapped into. As to the paraphonic organ technology there is the possibility to install a MIDI to keycontacts mod. Essentially a midi controlled switch for every key that can be played polyphonically over MIDI. This is in theory, some instruments are a bit quirky, but MIDI in kits for organ keys exist.

Oddly enough the RS-505, which has a monosynth layered on the paraphonic technology also has a CV out (not in), so you can use it as a master keyboard to stack with a monosynth. Not sure how far that will get anyone but I'm sure someone's made use of it sometime.

The Oberheim 6r and Matrix 1000 question seems another topic but I can answer it. The 6r was earlier and can be edited via a front panel menu interface. The 1000 had lots more ROM preset sounds for people who just flip through sounds to find one. You need a software program or the rarely seen Access hardware editor to send a user patch or edit the sounds.

The MKS-30 has much nicer string type sounds and a greater possibility of obtaining a knob programmer for what it's worth.
bwandice
ndkent wrote:

The MKS-30 has much nicer string type sounds and a greater possibility of obtaining a knob programmer for what it's worth.

I know I'm getting into another topic but;
but it appears that a lot of these racked synths, many like the Matrix 1000, Yamaha tx81z.. etc. all are able to have their parameters edited by Sys-ex software; those parameters then mapped to a controller, and wallah a hands on interface for racked synths....... (right?) hmmm.....
Just me
bwandice wrote:
ndkent wrote:

I know I'm getting into another topic but;
but it appears that a lot of these racked synths, many like the Matrix 1000, Yamaha tx81z.. etc. all are able to have their parameters edited by Sys-ex software; those parameters then mapped to a controller, and wallah a hands on interface for racked synths....... (right?) hmmm.....

MKS-30 (Planet S) does not do Sys-Ex. It has only rudimentary MIDI as it was a 1st gen machine. PG-200 gives you a hands on interface to it. (I know, I have them in the stack. and in B/S/T at the moment)

OMNI has TRIG and GATE outs and CV in for VCF control.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1