MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

my current 'planner' mock up (new design)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author my current 'planner' mock up (new design)
Johnisfaster
new design up

I'll be floating the mults outside the case. the EG's weren't my first choice but there currently is a huge lack of in stock EG's on AH so I picked those 2 at noisebug.

I've got about 3/4 of these modules bought already, still lacking the tyme sefari/sound of thunder, the bit crusher, the polarizing mixer and the trigger delay

any word of advice before I buy the final modules? maybe some fancy tricks on coming up with the needed money? smile
wetterberg
looking quite full, actually smile
What I'd consider is instead of the kenton pro 2000 to get the new, cheap Doepfer midi unit, the a-190-2
dkcg
I would get some kind of dual LFO with sync and maybe some sort of cross modulation than the two 145's I'm not positive, but you may outgrow/getbored of them fairly quickly. No CV ins and no sync... At least replace them with two PlanB Elf LFOs, half the space, 3 times the functionality. Or a Vulcan Modulator, or a MFB dual LFO i hear is nice.
Even if you're trying to keep a tight budget, at least spend a sawbuck more for some CV control in the LFOs...like a 146 or 147? I'm not sure about model number's on the VCLFO
dougcl
Yep the first thing that comes to mind is replacing the two A-145's with an A-143-3. Assuming you want to keep what you have for now though, since you are looking at a S&H, I would recommend the A-160/1 and some kind of attenuation/offset capability. Also consider, PlanB M10, M31, A-132-3, and Harvestman stuff.
dkcg
Oh, i didn't see the VCLFO in there, definately get a dual instead of the 3 single LFOs or the 143 like doug reccomended. But you know best what you want to accomplish and do with the synth. smile
felix
My 2c:
1) chuck the quad VCA. saves you 8 spaces
-It's not actually 4 independent VCAs, they open/close together, which makes it not that useful, IMO, especially since you have 2 mixers.

2) chuck the dynamic mult. saves you another 8 spaces
-I have one of these and it nearly always gets used as a regular mult. That's generally because most of the modules that I have have attenuators for the CV ins, so I rarely end up needing to attenuate at the mult.

Since the A-180 multiples require no power you can "float" them outside of the rack/case. and that can save you another 8HP.
Johnisfaster
dkcg wrote:
I would get some kind of dual LFO with sync and maybe some sort of cross modulation than the two 145's

I don't really need sync, they have reset inputs which serves my needs nicely. would a lfo with cross modulation offer much that I couldn't get by running these 2 lfo's into the polarizing mixer?
Johnisfaster
felix wrote:

2) chuck the dynamic mult. saves you another 8 spaces

the dynamic mult was actually chosen primarily to attenuate the lfo's when I want to use them for the mc-202 filter cv input which has no attenuation. so I figured I'd send the lfo to the dynamic mult, attenuate it there before it hits the 202 and yet I still have the signal available to go elsewhere.
Johnisfaster
dougcl wrote:
replacing the two A-145's with an A-143-3.

reset inputs are important to me.
Johnisfaster
sorry all if I'm keeping my replies really short I'm about to run out the door. keep the input coming though

I'd like to know more about lfo's with cross modulation, and how would that compare to running my current lfo's through the polarizing mixer? I got the mixer for just that purpose as well as the ability to invert signals. pairing the lfo's with the dual trigger delay (to adjust the gate the triggers the reset) would give me the ability to adjust the phase of the lfo.

so yeah, I've given this stuff a lot of thought but that doesn't mean there aren't easier ways to get the job done and by using less space.

holy crap, just came to me that I could build a tiny box for all my mults. that'll save space.
felix
Johnisfaster wrote:
I'd like to know more about lfo's with cross modulation, and how would that compare to running my current lfo's through the polarizing mixer? I got the mixer for just that purpose as well as the ability to invert signals. pairing the lfo's with the dual trigger delay (to adjust the gate the triggers the reset) would give me the ability to adjust the phase of the lfo.

Cross-modulation of slower LFOs leads to very cool repeating "patterns" of the two LFOs and it adds a lot of constant "motion" to things. Typically that's a little hard to tame into a steady tempo-synced situation, but since you've also got LFOs with resets, that will help a lot.

Mixing LFOs is awesome as well (especially if you use that mix for some cross-mod of one of the source LFOs), but since the LFO is a bipolar signal, you won't notice mixing phase inverted LFOs in with non-inverted LFOs terribly different than just mixing them. However, the polarizing mixer is incredibly useful. Send some random triggers into the inputs, adjust the attenuators, instant random sequence.
Johnisfaster
I think I decided to go for basic standard mono synth type stuff with this case. although the addition of the ring mod and bit crusher is certainly a bit less than standard. Eventually I'll buy another case and probably load it up with a bunch of livewire modulation stuff among others
Johnisfaster
new design up.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1