MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Video Sampler (seen on Matrixsynth)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Video Sampler (seen on Matrixsynth)
ersatzplanet
Just saw this post of a Arduino based video sampler posted on Matrixsynth:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2011/07/arduino-video-sampler.html

It looks pretty cool in the video but it would be perfect if it could plug into the LZX system or had some voltage control. Modularizing this thing would be a great product. Think of a few of them being colorized and having all the typical parameters of a sampler being voltage controlled (start time, end time, direction, polarity etc.)

-James
dude
wow and the audio was super cool too! thanks for sharing.
ersatzplanet
Another video of this thing in action:

I can see all those functions he is doing with the buttons being voltage controlled or as gate inputs at a minimum.
-James
RealDudes
I <3 Gijs!
snufkin
saw this earlier today absolutely fantastic stuff!!!
ocd synthnerd
Awesome, that would be useful.
daverj
Pretty crude images, but still very cool. Especially for how it was done.
lizlarsen
I agree, this is a really cool project for the minimal hardware involved. It's basically a (very) low resolution frame buffer.

We'll be releasing similar live sampling/playback capabilities for one of the LZX frame buffer modules with realtime controls and full trigger/CV control (it's high on the development priority list).

The real advantage of such a minimal project like this is the obviously low cost, though! A module like this would be very inexpensive and still fun to play with.
snufkin
yeah you could probably fit three behind a front panel and fade betwixt them for more complex imagery !
lizlarsen
Quote:
yeah you could probably fit three behind a front panel and fade betwixt them for more complex imagery !

Well the problem there is that they'd all still need Time Base Correctors (or receive inputs from genlocked cameras and all be able to sync to each other) which is probably beyond the scope of this hardware. Not to say that a minimal solution for something like this isn't possible though.
gijs
they actually depend on the video signal that is connected to it for sync, so you could probably connect quiet a few of them in series, and they would run exactly in sync.
i connected the 2 of them to one camera using this: http://fl1.shopmania.org/files/photo-images/11417/phono-splitter-joine r-adapter-2-rca-sockets-to-1-rca-phono-plug-gold~11416183.jpg for the first video.. (and mixed with GVM1).

the music was made with this modified gameboy: http://gieskes.nl/undefined/prepared-gameboy/?f=envelope
gijs
thanks for the thumbs up b.t.w. (-:

it also has a audio input, that can be connected to any of the buttons using a dip switch. the audio signal is filtered using a high-pass filter. so it reacts to snares and such. like a audio trigger..
lizlarsen
Awesome! Yeah, my statement was misleading -- I didn't mean to say that syncing to each other in series wasn't possible with the hardware -- only that having three with nonsynchronous inputs, with the playback outputs synchronized to each other (ie, as genlocked time-base correctors) would probably be difficult to do, and require passing data to a second microcontroller for the playback portion.

This is great work! How are you reading the data in? I didn't know the Arduino code could run fast enough to even get this kind of resolution. And what is meant by one and a half bit?
gijs
thanks!

i am using this lib for capturing video: http://nootropicdesign.com/projectlab/2011/03/20/video-frame-capture/

i was also surprised that it worked.. and that fast (-:

i made 2 devices, one is 1 bit, and the other is "1.5 bit".

there are two ram chips, both store the 1 bit video data, but the two bits are not encoded, so when the video is outputted it just gives 3 colors gray-scale instead of 4.
ocd synthnerd
daverj wrote:

I can think of two guys(hint,hint) that could probably make something with a similar concept but good video quality. Like a video phonogene.
But please more than 30 seconds of record time.
ocd synthnerd
creatorlars wrote:
I agree, this is a really cool project for the minimal hardware involved. It's basically a (very) low resolution frame buffer.

We'll be releasing similar live sampling/playback capabilities for one of the LZX frame buffer modules with realtime controls and full trigger/CV control (it's high on the development priority list).

The real advantage of such a minimal project like this is the obviously low cost, though! A module like this would be very inexpensive and still fun to play with.

Didn't see this. Yes! Go Lars. I want this module yesterday.
Veqtor
I quite like the lofi quality, would really like this as a euro-module!
ocd synthnerd
It kind of looks like pixelvision footage.
daverj
ocd synthnerd wrote:
daverj wrote:

I can think of two guys(hint,hint) that could probably make something with a similar concept but good video quality. Like a video phonogene.
But please more than 30 seconds of record time.

I've been making multi-frame frame buffers since the 70s, and there is one on the list of future Jones video synth modules. But it's down the list after a bunch of analog modules. So probably next year.
bitSmasher
Definitely interested in a kit or two - couldn't build one from scratch but can throw kits together with no drama.
RealDudes
bitSmasher wrote:
Definitely interested in a kit or two - couldn't build one from scratch but can throw kits together with no drama.

visit Gieskes.nl
his website seems to be down at the moment but he has tons of cool stuff for sale and how to's and fodder for DIY ideas
gijs
i have some kits now: http://gieskes.nl/shop/#GVS1a
nickciontea
i will buy one of these very soon.

will it power fine off of 12v? or do i need to use a regulator to power off my modular?
gijs
it will work on 12V DC + in the center.
bitSmasher
gijs wrote:
i have some kits now: http://gieskes.nl/shop/#GVS1a
argh. quit work just as a new wave of video toys hits the market...
Should refer to my work as "new media art" and push for a grant lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2