MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silly question perhaps, but...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Silly question perhaps, but...
LDT
...do you really all know all module numbers by all manufacturers by heart?
Like, when reading every other post in here, I have to go to various manufacturers websites to find out what you are talking about. Like: "Best use of A-137?". I might be the only one feeling like this, but a topic reading: "Best use of Doepfer Wave Multiplier" probably takes 3 seconds longer to write, but for shortterm-memory-challenged persons like me, it is hugely more inviting.
It is probably mostly when people are talking Plan-b, Doepfer and Asys the problem arises. I love the posts about Livewire modules because they have nice names you can remember 8) .
Robba
Not silly at all...
I think I miss out on a lot of posts because of this.
felix
I know many of the Doepfer ones by now. I agree though, using their name would be helpful, at least in the title, but it's good to have the module number for clarity. (for example, there's the wave multiplier and wave multipler II, and some folks refer to it as a waveshaper...which it is, but the name is wave multipler)
Muff Wiggler
Drives me a little crazy as well. I'm too busy/lazy to ever look them up, so for the most part I stay out of discussions (and used module sales) regarding mostly Doepfer and DotCom (which seem to be the main manufacturers that people tend to refer to only by model number), and Plan B as well, but I've sort of stopped paying attention there anyway.
astroschnautzer
I thought of this also at first but you pretty quickly start to learn them by number...
wetterberg
I'm with Lars on this; you fall into that trap once you get too familiar with the modules - I remember it pissing me off something richeous just a few months ago.
Muff Wiggler
but....if you never get familiar with the modules, because they are only refered to by number.....then you never figure it out and it tends to keep you from getting familiar with the modules. vicious circle?

it's not a planned thing, but I have no Doepfer modules at all in my setup. I suspect this has played a part of whatever has kept my interest elsewhere.
deastman
It constantly drives me crazy. I always make point of describing a module I'm talking about at least once. I just don't get along well with numbers, and can never remember what's what.

Like last night, someone was talking about an A-160/161, and I had to go look it up to see what they hell they were talking about... oh yeah, I've had one of those in my rack for 13 years! meh
wetterberg
Muff Wiggler wrote:
but....if you never get familiar with the modules, because they are only refered to by number.....then you never figure it out and it tends to keep you from getting familiar with the modules. vicious circle
I don't think so; there's a learning curve when getting into esp. Doepfer, I would say, what with the hundred(s?) of modules they make! eek! - but I still feel that I got at least the bases covered when starting out, even before buying any of the modules.

Case in point: The wave multiplier... 137... turns out "just" writing "Wave multiplier" isn't enough, because they... actually make two of those! Correct thread description is "about the 137-1" or whatever. Doepfer makes about 10 products that can be classed as a "VCA", and even the names would get mixed up; "dual low cost linear VCA" versus "dual lin/exp VCA" - I think Doepfer "has a problem" in general, since their product line has grown so big now.

I propose writing the WHOLE thing; product number AND product "title" - that way there's the biggest chance of us actually knowing EXACTLY which unit we're dealing with. And then we have to remember that they sometimes get the suffixes "-1" "-2" etc later on, when more lovely modules arrive.
felix
I guess I could be a good moderator and clarify these thread names when the come up, using both the name and the model number.

I don't know how people would feel about that though, the thread creator/starter in particular.

?
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
I propose writing the WHOLE thing; product number AND product "title" - that way there's the biggest chance of us actually knowing EXACTLY which unit we're dealing with. And then we have to remember that they sometimes get the suffixes "-1" "-2" etc later on, when more lovely modules arrive.

I agree!
Quote:
I guess I could be a good moderator and clarify these thread names when the come up, using both the name and the model number.

I don't know how people would feel about that though, the thread creator/starter in particular.
?

I don't see any problem with this.
Editing to add more clarification/information is a good thing.
felix
Edited the thread in question. If I come across any more that seem necessary, I'll check those too. In the forums where I have the ability to do so of course wink
goiks
this is precisely why the doepfer page at analogue haven is my most-used bookmark. (other than muff's classifieds, of course)

wetterberg wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:
but....if you never get familiar with the modules, because they are only refered to by number.....then you never figure it out and it tends to keep you from getting familiar with the modules. vicious circle
I don't think so; there's a learning curve when getting into esp. Doepfer, I would say, what with the hundred(s?) of modules they make! eek! - but I still feel that I got at least the bases covered when starting out, even before buying any of the modules.

Case in point: The wave multiplier... 137... turns out "just" writing "Wave multiplier" isn't enough, because they... actually make two of those! Correct thread description is "about the 137-1" or whatever. Doepfer makes about 10 products that can be classed as a "VCA", and even the names would get mixed up; "dual low cost linear VCA" versus "dual lin/exp VCA" - I think Doepfer "has a problem" in general, since their product line has grown so big now.

wetterberg
I prefer
http://www.doepfer.de/a100.htm
modularplanner
Isnt there some kind of plugin for these message boards that can enable a kind of inline glossary?

Of course it would take a little while to populate but it could work something like this; when you hover over A-137 text a box pops up telling you what it is. Similar to say Google translated pages that pop up a box to allow you to revise a translated sentence whe you hover over it. Hell you could even have a picture in it, that would be quite nice razz
Kent
The Pro Audio world is filled with model numbers. It has always been kind of an elitist, and somewhat lazy, engineer nerd's thing.

Which is easier to envision?:

a) EL8

b) Distressor

They are both the same product.

Neve modules: 1064, 1073, 1081, 1084. Amazingly, I know what these are. True, they were designed as parts to an integrated system, I'll give them that.

Names are much better, but can stigmatize a product as well. It is safe to give it a neutral term like a number.
Case in point: SSL's AWSomation... that's just silly.
VanEck
The model numbers threw me off a couple months ago, but I've picked up on the lingo pretty fast and can recognize most of the Doepfer, Plan B, and Cwjeman modules now by their models.

Every subculture/tribe uses its own slang and lingo man... and the Modular underground is no exception! Just start looking up the models you don't recognize and they will start sticking in your brain... then you will be 31337 razz
Kent
Damn, I was gonna type "l337" here and then found out that "31337" was the new "1337".

You totally pwnzriated me, dude!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1