MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Harmonia
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Harmonia
Echidna
I dont know if this is the right place, but here we go...

Does anyone know what Harmonia were playing synthwise in the 70s?
Also, any info regarding the use of Modular Synths on Frank Zappa records is greatly appreciated.
rezzn8r
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/09/frank-zappas-e-mu-modular.html

Guinness ftw!
Babaluma
farfisa syntorchestra, been looking for one for years!

my favourite krautrock band bar none!
Echidna
Babaluma wrote:
farfisa syntorchestra, been looking for one for years!

my favourite krautrock band bar none!

Same here. Im listening to Live 1974 right now....

Has some good pics of what they used, but none of it is readily identifiable except for the Farfisa which has its stand brace upside down in the shots. Interesting stand for one of the players too, looks kinda like an Erector set. It has some kind of single manual combo organ, what appears ti be a synth, and some other delays or drum machines maybe.
Babaluma
i think manuel gottsching still has and uses his farfisa syntorchestra.

there are also some very cool studio pics on the russian vinyl reissue of "deluxe".

i think it just mainly boils down to them having immense talent though!
Echidna
Babaluma wrote:
i think manuel gottsching still has and uses his farfisa syntorchestra.

there are also some very cool studio pics on the russian vinyl reissue of "deluxe".

i think it just mainly boils down to them having immense talent though!

True...Not too much stuff with sequences and the like...lots of phenomenal guitar playing though.
bsmith
Anyone have any idea what the drum sounds would have been on musik von Harmonia's Watusi from 1974?
doombient.music
Most likely the ELKA Drummer One (which was also marketed under the Echolette moniker), that huge oblong box (some of them even came with a built-in speaker).

Otherwise, they used a lot of Farfisa gear (VIP organs, Synthorchestra, Sfera Sound), Davolisynth, Dynacord tape delays (as well as Klemt and Echolette units), Schaller Rotorsound. At that time, synthesisers were neither widely available, nor affordable -- but home organs were.

Stephen
rattkane
bsmith wrote:
Anyone have any idea what the drum sounds would have been on musik von Harmonia's Watusi from 1974?

I have often wondered this as well!
theewiper

Just wondering about this myself. Definitely ELKA Drummer in this picture. And Davolisint.
101010oxo
Echidna wrote:

Does anyone know what Harmonia were playing synthwise in the 70s?

Man, you should have asked a few days earlier very frustrating

I was talking to Hans-Joachim Roedelius just a few days ago during an event in Munich [1].

Could have asked him...

[1] http://www.muenchner-kammerspiele.de/spielplan/kraut-und-drastik-3/
theewiper

Hearing some of those sounds, especially about halfway through this video.
GuyaGuy
doombient.music wrote:
Most likely the ELKA Drummer One (which was also marketed under the Echolette moniker), that huge oblong box (some of them even came with a built-in speaker).

Otherwise, they used a lot of Farfisa gear (VIP organs, Synthorchestra, Sfera Sound), Davolisynth, Dynacord tape delays (as well as Klemt and Echolette units), Schaller Rotorsound. At that time, synthesisers were neither widely available, nor affordable -- but home organs were.

Stephen

Thanks for that info! I'd always been curious about their drum sounds. I didn't know if they used a machine or a lo-fi electronic kit like Kraftwerk.

Just out of curiosity: Anyone have an idea as to what the 2 pairs of 2 boxes are left and right? Both Moebius and Roedelius have both a large case full of sliders with a smaller black box with sliders on top. Possibly EQs and mixers?

tim gueguen
The big boxes are Klemt Echolette Panorama mixers.
GuyaGuy
tim gueguen wrote:
The big boxes are Klemt Echolette Panorama mixers.
thumbs up
Moog$FooL$
me too!! fantastic group. thumbs up

still need to hunt down some of the other similar stuff around these guys.

d.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1