MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buzzing speaker cloth fix?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Buzzing speaker cloth fix?
CursedFrogurt
Any tips on getting speaker cloth to stop buzzing? I have an Ampeg B15N, and the cloth just buzzes like crazy when I play up the neck. The cloth is in really nice shape, so I don't want to replace it, and it's fairly tight on its frame. I just want to do something non-destructive to make it stop. I was thinking of squeezing a few shims in to elevate it off of the frame and tighten it up, or just working some glue in to really make sure it doesn't move. I figure I could probably suss this out on my own, but I'm sure ya'll have some good fixes before I go off on my own.
Just me
How is the frame attached? On my Peavey, they used these plastic medusa head things and if you don't really press them down hard, they buzz. If the frames come off easily, you can remove them and spritz them with water and dry them with a blow dryer or iron on low. This shrinks the material to tighten.
CursedFrogurt
Just me wrote:
How is the frame attached? On my Peavey, they used these plastic medusa head things and if you don't really press them down hard, they buzz. If the frames come off easily, you can remove them and spritz them with water and dry them with a blow dryer or iron on low. This shrinks the material to tighten.

Yeah, frame comes off pretty easy, I've been playing it with it off this afternoon and it has been wonderful. I'm glad I asked, because I hadn't thought of shrinking the cloth like that. One reason I didn't want to just go ahead and do the shims is that I knew I'd just stretch the cloth out more, and have the same problem a little later. That'll be my first try. It's def. just the cloth buzzing, the frame was bolted in really tightly and the buzz goes away if I press the cloth to the frame while a note is sustaining. Thanks!
CursedFrogurt
Shrinking the fabric worked like a charm! Awesome, thanks again..
MindMachine
Nice to hear that the water solution worked. On vintage applications you might want to use deionized water or test for any residual effects first. Water varies so much from district to district in the US it can sometimes cause fading/crystal salt type build-up, etc. Chloramines/chlorine and minerals can all leave stains or fatigue the fabric of small weaves. I don't mean to be alarmist, but on older materials (especially pricey rare amps) this could be an issue.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1