Korg Monotribe modifications thread

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

JayEm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JayEm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:06 am

phono1337 wrote:
JayEm wrote:I also tried DinSyncs direct mod, and undid it quickly afterwords.
nothing wrong with them :despair:
not suggesting there is, but considering how shaky I am with making a cable, I'm sure you can understand I have little faith in my abilities not to short out something and wreck my monotribe. :p

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Ok, I will be selling breakout boxes for £15 plus post - to be honest it probably only makes sense for UK guys to get from me, as postage overseas is getting ridiculous expensive (about £9 for tracked) Here is a picture, but note that the box will be a little smaller than the prototype one shown, but in all other respects it will be the same, high quality 3.5mm connectors, approx 60cm lead, if you want to buy one PM me, I won't be making many as they take a while and once you add in the cost of the parts not really making much at all on these.

the cake
Learning to Wiggle

Post by the cake » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:21 pm

hi there, straight out of the lurk zone!

so this:
Altitude909 wrote: Yes. The only quirk is that when they added 8 more steps, they added them in between the 8th notes, while keeping the time signature the same so if you slave it to a midi clock, it will run at 2x normal time if you want like a normal 16 step sequence
isn't remedied by OS 2.11?
because that would be the main reason for me to install midi. Can someone please check?

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 pm

No it still behaves the same, you can use something like a midipal as a clock divider though, to be honest driving it from midi rather than syncing the internal sequencer is a lot more flexible. If you just want to clock it you can use a narrow pulse sound into the sync jack.

the cake
Learning to Wiggle

Post by the cake » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:19 pm

thanks for clarifying!

i'm clocking the MT from gijs' master clock generator right now, but midi clock would have been convenient for start/stop/continue.

now i have to press play on the monotribe in sync, so that stuff isn't off beat. Maybe i can figure something out on the MCG's arduino...

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Here is the proper version of my CV breakout box, came out really nice if I do say so myself.

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:00 pm

With 303 sequencing
[video][/video]

JayEm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JayEm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm guessing the video being 3:03 long isn't a coincidence? :guinness:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Haha Darren, we must think alike. Same 3.5mm jacks and everything :P

For ppl in the US/CA: Same Deal as Darenager

$25 USD, $6 US shipping, $12 CA. USPS just jacked international rates by 70% so US and Canada only

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Ha! Yeah those sockets are very nice, Tom Bugs put me onto them a while back and I use them quite a lot now, the ones with the slotted ring do my head in, the tool for tightening them is IMPOSSIBLE to find here, I even spoke to the UK distributor, and they did not know where to get it :despair:
Besides, these ones look a lot neater and have a much better contact with a range of different plugs I've found.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:50 pm

just tap the holes, makes installing them a snap and they can't rotate. it's a m8x0.75 thread and i use a 9/32" pilot in plastic

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Oh no I meant the type in this pic, the ones we used are fine.

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:35 pm

These are the ones I used, think yours are this type too right?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:47 pm

gotcha, missed that part

bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:22 am

hm. so i installed fw 2.11 and set up and calibrated the cv/gate inputs for v/oct and v-trig. they do work, but cv control seems a little odd. when controlled by external cv, the tribe behaves as if there was some kind of portamento/slew involved. i also find this in the midi output stream: it has all these pitchbend messages where there shouldn't be any.

i've tried several different voltages sources - including my trusty kenton pro solo ii, which works very well with anything else i use it with.

are you guys experiencing the same behavior? any idea what i could do about it?

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 am

bartleby
try switching to the KEY mode if set to NARROW. (or otherwise)
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:

bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:12 am

radiokoala wrote:bartleby
try switching to the KEY mode if set to NARROW. (or otherwise)
i tried - but that switch doesn't seem to have any effect on how my tribe reacts to incoming cv/gate.

so, you're not seeing this behavior on yours? like a very fast portamento whenever you play a different note - and pb on the midi output when you're really just playing straight notes?

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:38 am

I think the PB is always sending, could be due to non exact CV values, I'll do some tests later, the flaky CV could be a slightly dodgy connection in the 4pole jack, I noticed the first one I used the width of the insulating rings was slightly off compared to the one I'm using now, and the CV seemed to fluctuate a bit, rather like slight fast vibrato.

I'll look into it and post back tonight, it would be handy if a few of us did it to get some kind of baseline indication, I will test a few of my monotribes to see if there is any variation.

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:52 am

Also make sure that the range switch is set to 16 when performing the calibration, I tested the pitch accuracy of mine using TC electronic polytune and got like 6 or 7 octaves of spot on accuracy. Follow the calibration exactly as in this video.

[video][/video]

bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:30 am

darenager wrote:I think the PB is always sending, could be due to non exact CV values. (...) the CV seemed to fluctuate a bit, rather like slight fast vibrato.
nope, i don't have that on mine. once the attack phase is over, mine is completely stable - both the tribe's pitch and the midi output. i get a portamento/glide-like sound a short burst of pitchbend messages only immediately after pressing a new key. obiously, the effect is more pronounced, the greater the interval between two consecutive notes. but after that, pitch and midi are stable.

re calibration: i did it as described in your video - except i don't quite understand what the bit about pressing "c4" and "c5" is about. what you're calibrating is the tribe's response to voltages, not to midi notes. what voltage corresponds to what note depends on how you set up your midi-to-cv/gate interface.

i used the first octave that i set up to be converted into cv on my kenton - i.e. the voltage range between 0v and 1v - for calibration. it tracks very reliably over all the octaves there are on my kb. so voltage calibration doesn't seem to be the problem.

maybe it does have to do with the trrs adapter i'm using...

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:49 am

Yeah the C4 and C5 is just lifted directly from the pdf, and probably relates to the King Korg, I used around the middle range, the main thing is to press the note before pressing play else it seems to get confused. It might also be worth trying recalibrating say between 2v and 3v to see if it makes a difference.

By PB always sending I meant on each note, rather than continuosly. I will hook up a midi monitor later and check as I have not looked since changing my cable, maybe it will be the same maybe (hoping) not.

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:09 am

Just tested mine, it seems that on every NEW note sent PB is sent for a few lines then if the same note is pressed no PB, but change to a different note and PB is sent again, this is regardless of a CV input note or a local keypress on the ribbon (in key mode).

Edit, so yeah pretty much the same as yours :lol:

bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:19 am

darenager wrote:Edit, so yeah pretty much the same as yours :lol:
yup, pretty much exactly the same. :D

so i guess it's not a malfunction of my particular unit, or my mdidi-to-cv/gate converter, or the adapter cable i'm using. it's just how this thing works.

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Yes seems so, as I said earlier I did get some weirdness on the note sounded like a wavering with the first cable I tried, since changing it the pitch is stable.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm

all this work and no one has figured what the deal is with R195 and the star..

Return to “General Gear”