MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg Monotribe modifications thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next [all]
Author Korg Monotribe modifications thread
nitro2k01
It's been such a loooong time since I posted in this thread, or logged into Muff's for that matter. (I'm soon having my 10th anniversary goo under my name, so that's cool.)

Anyway, I've finally started to get into what I wanted to do with the Monotribe from the start, firmware hacking. So, this is just a preliminary interest query. If there was a modded firmware, or one built from scratch, what kind of features would you be interested in?

A few possibilities:
Separate control of VCO/VCF frequency and intensity.
Simultaneous envelope and VCO
More complex LFO shapes or envelopes, such as full ADSR.
Tuned LFO settings.
A sequencer more targeted toward TB-303-like use.
Custom sync input and output formats, for example outputting a gate instead of a sync pulse or faster/slower sync PPM.
Or, even outputting a melodically tuned square wave on the sync output.

Would there be any interest in such developments?
mckenic
Ello!

ANY update to the sequencer would be wildly welcomed here!
Not a fan of the current set-up.
louis_srsmt
nitro2k01 wrote:
It's been such a loooong time since I posted in this thread, or logged into Muff's for that matter. (I'm soon having my 10th anniversary goo under my name, so that's cool.)

Anyway, I've finally started to get into what I wanted to do with the Monotribe from the start, firmware hacking. So, this is just a preliminary interest query. If there was a modded firmware, or one built from scratch, what kind of features would you be interested in?

A few possibilities:
Tuned LFO settings.
Custom sync input and output formats, for example outputting a gate instead of a sync pulse or faster/slower sync PPM.

Hey ! Yes of course it would be awesome !! If you are looking for someone to test it, I can help, I had a few experiences in testing new synth and looking for limits or bug (with a friend who build synth)

I think the midi mode sold by amazing machine includes some CC's like cutoff, modulation, pitch bend, maybe you could look a it ;

for the features request, I don't think it's possible but if their is a way to store more pattern..that would change everything ;
and a portamento via pitch bend maybe ? That would be also tricky but awesome ; custom trig input is a fantastic idea as well

I deeply support your idea anyway, the monotribe is so awesome and under rated, once modded slighty and sequence externally it's a wonderful synth, the monotribe definitely deserves this smile

Cheers from France !

Louis
hamildad
100 times a better ADSR for this thing...

but I dont think its possible to affect filter cut off, that's just not physically possible. its not possible with MIDI implementation certainly.

and I kind of like that you have to grab the knob to alter the filter...
nitro2k01
hamildad wrote:
but I dont think its possible to affect filter cut off, that's just not physically possible. its not possible with MIDI implementation certainly.

I will have to confirm this during the research, but my theory so far is that the knob and an analog output from the CPU are CV mixed. Ie, the LFO as we know it is 100% digital, at least we can control rate, intensity and target over MIDI. So a rewritten firmware could control filter CV, even if it couldn't disconnect the filter knob.
louis_srsmt
I'm sure at 100% that the amazing machine midi kit implement midi CC for cutoff, but I don't know how they manage to do that
nitro2k01
louis_srsmt wrote:
I'm sure at 100% that the amazing machine midi kit implement midi CC for cutoff, but I don't know how they manage to do that
The MIDI kit is "dumb". It just forwards the MIDI signal and does nothing else. Whatever effect the MIDI has is in Korg's firmware.
louis_srsmt
Sorry I made a mistrake, I checked and hamildad was right, the cutoff can't be midi controlled ; my bad ;

here is the list of the midi instructions that can be read by the monotribe (according to the amazing machine owner manual) :

MIDI Note - ON / OFF
MIDI Velocity to VCA LEVEL (Needs MONOTRIBE OS 2.0)
Pitch Bend - Pitch Bend Wheel (-7 / +12 semitones)
LFO INT. - Modulation Wheel - CC 1
VCA LEVEL - Volume or Expression - CC 7 or CC 11 (Needs MONOTRIBE OS 2.0)
LFO RATE - General Purpose Controller 1 - CC 16
EG SHAPE - General Purpose Controller 5 - CC 80
LFO TARGET - General Purpose Controller 6 - CC 81
LFO MODE - General Purpose Controller 7 - CC 82
LFO WAVE - General Purpose Controller 8 - CC 83

Sorry again, hope that helps
hamildad
nitro2k01 wrote:
my theory so far is that the knob and an analog output from the CPU are CV mixed. Ie, the LFO as we know it is 100% digital, at least we can control rate, intensity and target over MIDI. So a rewritten firmware could control filter CV, even if it couldn't disconnect the filter knob.

Good thinking!!

you might lose the LFO though as you would reprogramme the digital LFO to act as a DC offset controlled by CC.

no problems as I never use LFO for OSC so making it a dedicated filter controller is fine for me... I do love the LFO though... you can use it to bring the OSC up past hearing frequency, then use the filter on external source only and LP out the high bandwidth OSC...

I would say if the firmware was stock BUT coujld decouple the OSC from the filter allowing you to use filter only, i'd snap that up. you can Mod it, but the guy who makes the nice Mods doesnt sell them anymore.
darenager
nitro2k01 wrote:

A few possibilities:
Tuned LFO settings.

I’d be interested for sure, envelope and LFO hacks would be great, slides/accents, enhanced step lengths (currently for example you can’t have a say 15 step synth pattern, as it only allows 1-8 if 8 step mode, or 2,4,6,8,10,12,14 16 in 16 step mode) a realtime global step repeat which resumes where the pattern would be when released, step iterations only like play x out of x passes, etc. I’d be willing to pay/donate or whatever you have in mind, I believe there are around 20,000 or so Monotribe’s ‘in the wild’ based on the range of serial numbers I have in my collection of them, FWIW.
grenert
Hi, nitro2k01. My bias is toward enhancing the synthesizer. With MIDI IN, I don't bother trying to use the sequencer on board.

I would definitely be interested in a more complex or flexible envelope. LFO delay before kicking in would be cool. A second LFO and/or envelope would be awesome. Can you tell how much could be changed and still be handled by the hardware?

Best wishes on the project!
zaphod betamax
I have direct control over the cutoff frequency via a 1/8" jack wired to the cutoff pot.
So, CV is an option for controlling the cutoff of the Monotribe.
grenert
I think the biggest limitation of the Monotribe is the lack of any envelope release stage. I was investigating disconnecting the software envelopes and adding in an analog envelope. However, I have learned that the oscillator tuning routines run when the gate is not on, so a hardware ADSR envelope is not an option. All the more reason for a firmware tinkerer to upgrade the software envelope! w00t
zaphod betamax
How about you run the Monotribe on perma gate closed mode in the setup,
So you send it V/octave CV for pitch and use an external ADSR (such as a Microbrute as the ADSR towards the filter using the external control of VCF mod.

I will fab this up and let you know if this works!
zaphod betamax
Yes the proof of concept works.
grenert
zaphod betamax wrote:
Yes the proof of concept works.

Thank you for investigating, zaphod betamax! I have to admit I never even thought about controlling with CV/gate, since I don't have a modular setup. I've been using MIDI only so far, which doesn't give me the option of just leaving the gate open. I think I'll investigate putting a tiny ADSR board in there and locking the gate open.
Thanks again for the idea!
zaphod betamax
Funny, yesterday I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqDm53gscRU

Now I run OTB, however the concept in his video is
to disable the NOTE OFF.

I did the same OTB with Midi Solutions Event Processor
and it mitigates the click via Midi.

However, this turns it into a drone, and you will need some
way to attenuate when you do not want the note.

F0 00 00 50 29 01 00 00 02 00 7F 01 03 00 7F F7
80 00 00
{ Setting #1: Filter all Note-Off events on MIDI channel 1. Continue to process settings (right-click to edit) }
zaphod betamax
With a simple mod of a 1/8" jack, 10k resistor wired to middle position of
Fc pot, you can run +5V CV control of the Fc.
Already have this mod of 5 out of the 6 Monotribes I have.

hamildad wrote:
100 times a better ADSR for this thing...

XA101
Man that polytribe sounds glorious! I forgot how much I like their sound, and it really works as a polysynth.
h4ndcrafted
Does the SyncKontrol app still work. Worked fine with my original unit, but can’t seem to get it to work with a new one.
Using iPad gen 5 , haven’t tried my iPhone Xr yet, need adapter.

Tried different volumes, polarities. If I turn the signal up super loud it just bleeds through, but lower volumes don’t do anything.
Any ideas hmmm.....

Also what is the default state for polarity on the unit, step four light off ?

Sorry if this has been addressed, it’s a long thread now.
marcokava
Hi All,
this is my first post, and i would like to share with you my mods on monotribe.
I would like to add:
add a CV control with arduino and capacitive shield [ done ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mxh2LkB_Gc

ASend - Return for Wave only [ to do ]
Reduce clicks and pops

i follow this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKd1wkkuXYI&t=113s

But after reassembling all, i've a power on issues, to get on the unit i must keep pressed the power on switch, if i release it the unit go off..
Any one have some suggestions?
Thanx
M.
darmklacht@gmail.com
I wish I could mod my Monotribe to be a self cloning device...
quartzite
I'm about to be a proud owner of a monotribe! Does anyone know how to mod the BD/SD for tuning? The only evidence I've found so far is this video demoing it briefly https://youtu.be/9qRve1Y8ph4?t=96 .

EDIT: found some info from remork on page 38, also the video creator added some info to his vid
midirobot
great thread ! thanks guys : )

just get a monotribe already made cv/gate input mod to get rid of the trrs cable,and add cv input to filter cutoff that little box is really great already !!

now i 'd add trigger input on the drum part somebody manage it can't find info ?? really would like to use mutable grids with those modded drums !
zaphod betamax
I have modded 5 out of my 6 Monotribes for cuttoff control via CV.
It is an analog control of a pot that is intercepted and jacked out
at the wiper of the cutoff pot.

nitro2k01 wrote:
hamildad wrote:

I will have to confirm this during the research, but my theory so far is that the knob and an analog output from the CPU are CV mixed. Ie, the LFO as we know it is 100% digital, at least we can control rate, intensity and target over MIDI. So a rewritten firmware could control filter CV, even if it couldn't disconnect the filter knob.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next [all]
Page 40 of 41