Grounding ... and the Kenton USB-CV doodah

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

kkonkkrete
Wiggling with Experience

Grounding ... and the Kenton USB-CV doodah

Post by kkonkkrete » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:27 am

Hullo lads, just ordered a Kenton USB MIDI-CV converter so I can sequence stuff from the computer (a new idea to me, although I understand this is a common way of 'making music', ho ho).

I'll be wanting to sequence the old BugBrand modular from it, but I'm guessing I'll need to ground the two little beasties together, right?

Any tips on how to do this? I have some 'nana->minijack cables. I can shove the 'nana end into the power panel ground on the BugBrand. The question is how do I get a good grounding to the converter? Any thoughts?

Cheers,
kkonkkrete

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 am

Edit - If you have mini power just use 1/4 to minijack leads from your Kenton, the mini power will take care of ground internally, the 2 white nana sockets can then be patched to wherever.

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 am

^ and you should only need this once, you could then use your nana to mini-jack for the other connections direct from the Kenton.

And I can't believe your selling us out and using a computer.......... you've changed man... :mrgreen:
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 am

Yes, as suggested - the two interface connections on the MiniPower are probably your easiest route in.

If wanting to use Minijack to Banana direct then the first cable needs to have the sleeve connection brought out to a grounding banana which would go to the black ground socket on the MiniPower. Once this ground connection has been made, any further signals (from the same source unit) won't require further ground connections.

kkonkkrete
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kkonkkrete » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:02 am

well it arrived and I did what you all told me to do, using the jack->banana converter sockets on the power module and ....... it works perfectly :banana:

Indeed, the oscillators even track pretty damn well.

Thin end of the edge this. Getting all melodic. Not sure I'm not going to regret this little experiment. This 'MIDI' thing seems to be able to do several notes at once too. Jolly clever stuff. :help:

Return to “BugBrand Devices”