MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer VCA Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer VCA Question
emergencyofstate
The Doepfer A-132-3 Dual VCA was recommended to me as I start to build my first system.

I have the opportunity to buy a used Doepfer a132-2 Quad VCA Module instead...

good idea?
wetterberg
no.

the quad vca is more like 1 vca with 4 individual input/outputs.

So it's not really "twice as good" but more like "less than half as good", imo.

For a "main VCA" you need something as high-end as the 132-3, if you ask me.
Cybananna
What he said.

It seems that quad VCA has some specific uses, but isn't what you're looking for I wouldn't think.
emergencyofstate
Excellent. I'll stay with the A-132-3. Thanks guys. I think I'll buy new. tax write off

R2D2
emergencyofstate
How about the MOTM Dual VCA (http://www.analoguehaven.com/motm/1190/)

Anyone have any experience with this module as compared to the Doepfer A-132-3??
Cybananna
i's nice from what I understand, but it's frac format, not euro.
chinard
Cybananna wrote:
It seems that quad VCA has some specific uses, but isn't what you're looking for I wouldn't think.

I ended up with one of these quad vca's in my system and i hate it.
Maybe i just dont see the point yet of why you would need to evenly control 4 seperate voltage sources from a common CV.
Manual says that it comes with an internal cable for connecting to the quadrature LFO. Would this be for some kind of barberpole application? If so i am curious how this would work.
felix
That would be the only thing that I can think of, attenuating a set of quadrature signals together.

I'd really like to get into playing with quadrature, but it seems to require so much special shit, or 4x of more generic modules.

I'm waiting for the euro mankato. Eel Power FTW!
Cybananna
chinard wrote:
Cybananna wrote:

connecting to the quadrature LFO

That's what I was getting at.
Junk Rhythm
What would be a good example of things you could accomplish with a Quadrature LFO connected into the Quad VCA? I started reading a bit about each module while on a break at work but couldn't pull that much information out of it.
haven
I have all three modules discussed.

the Quad VCA is not as high quality as the A-132-3 dual VCA. The A132-3 uses a CEM3360 dual VCA chip. I can make the A132-2 distort much more easily than the A132-3 (which I cannot distort at all - FYI I have no dedicated gain module)- I don't think the A132-2 was designed with audio in mind - its cost and features (bipolar CV attenuator) focus it on CV.

What I find great about the A132-2 quad VCA is the ability to control multiple modulation sources with one CV. example - velocity controling the modulation amount/depth of envelopes etc each with their own destination. or FM depth to filters, oscilators etc.

Connecting the A143-9 Quadrature LFO to the A32-2 simply patches the quadrature outs to the VCA ins - saves 4 patch cables. So you would have one CV to control the level of all four sine waves, or one common level control.
Kent
emergencyofstate wrote:
How about the MOTM Dual VCA (http://www.analoguehaven.com/motm/1190/)

Anyone have any experience with this module as compared to the Doepfer A-132-3??

There is an audio demo of the Cwejman, MOTM (Frac) & Doepfer A-132-3 on this forum. Pretty interesting.

chinard wrote:

Maybe i just dont see the point yet of why you would need to evenly control 4 seperate voltage sources from a common CV.

It's like having a mult that goes to 4 separate VCAs. It's also a bit like having a VCA subgroup in a live sound mixer.
As mentioned on their webpage:
Typical applications:

Simultaneous level control of up to four modulation sources (e.g. ADSRs, LFOs)

Simultaneous level control of up to four audio sources (e.g. VCO outputs, multimode VCF outputs, multi-channel audio signals)

Simultaneous FM effects with different audio signals (with CV1 or CV2 in audio range)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1