MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sound of Shadows – Noisy feedback knob
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Sound of Shadows – Noisy feedback knob
yghartsyrt
I'm not quite sure, if this is normal behavior. Turning the feedback is quite noisy (no pun intended)

here's a recording of my just turning the knob. No other signals are passed through. Mix and insert are at noon, input is full CW
flight
That's pretty scratchy, even for a carbon-composition pot. What position is the Rate knob set at in that recording?
yghartsyrt
The rate knob is around noon (between 11 an 1)
bryantcheramie
Try messing with it with the cv in. My polivoks filter make a few little scratches as i adjust the cutoff. It doesnt do this if i use a cv.
yghartsyrt
I will try. But this still would be a little of use, when playing live with this module.
yghartsyrt
also happens with external CV. :(
mckenic
Mine is noisy as hell too but I LOVE it! I put it down to my diy skills being sub-par! But its so quirky, every session with it I have to tweak every knob a little to figure out what it will do this time smile
yghartsyrt
Mine was a a fully built version, bought second hand. The noisyness is great at times, but noise while turning a knob is sometimes a little too much.

It's a great module nevertheless.
bryantcheramie
My sos does not act like that. What positions are you turning the knob? Are you going past 10 o'clock?
yghartsyrt
the noise also happens in lower regions (before 10 o'clock)
flight
It shouldn't have that much noise though, maybe a bad pot. Send it in and I'll take a look at it - I'll PM the address to you.
mckenic
Here is a quick test I did with mine - diy job and unless your gonna make more of em there is no way your getting this back Flight! I loves it too much hyper

[EDIT - I must add that I boosted the output to capture it about 1/3 higher than I would normally take from my modular! ]

No input, output from the Mix jack and all knobs set to 12 o' clock - swept CCW & CW returning to 12.

0-15 sec = Rate. love
15-20sec = Feedback.
20-35 = Insert.
Input & VCA do noting in this example but the most surprising thing is the Mix pot.
40-50sec = Mix. love

http://www.mckenic.com/SoundofShadows.mp3 love

nanners nanners It's motherfucking bacon yo nanners nanners

evil evil evil
flight
Heh, okay, you can hang on to it. wink
That sample sounds pretty normal, taking into account that it is amplified a tad.
I confess the noise is starting to bug me as well, so I'll see if there may be some easy mod to reduce it.
mckenic
Darn! I thought it was my ninja diy skills! hihi

What a strange little beasty SoS is - worth its weight in gold! The noise really is not a bother mate considering that every other thing is such pure WIN!
flight
Thank you very much for your kind words and support! I really do appreciate it. smile
For those that don't like the scratchy Feedback pot noise, I found an easy DIY fix: attach a 0.1µF cap (any kind) across the FBWPR(R) and GND pins. This takes care of most of the noise. Increase the cap value for greater reduction, decrease for less.

(click on images for larger size)

For those with the SoSBP, just solder the cap across terminals 1&2 of the pot (the fullCCW and wiper leg, see the documentation that came with the BP).
mckenic
WOW Filght! That was QUICK!

Remember that girl you thought was perfect? But she thought she was a few pounds over weight? So she went on a diet and dyed her hair blonde? You didnt think she needed to change anything but things changed anyway? Yeah she looked hotter but she turned into a real stuck-up bitch and you had to break-up with her?

Im afraid that would happen to my little princess - its GREAT to know there is a remedy there if needed - but I aint gonna fuck with perfection! thumbs up
flight
mckenic wrote:
WOW Filght! That was QUICK!
Thanks, but I've been working on this in my head for a while now, I just needed to get around to trying it out.

Quote:
Remember that girl you thought was perfect? But she thought she was a few pounds over weight? So she went on a diet and dyed her hair blonde? You didnt think she needed to change anything but things changed anyway? Yeah she looked hotter but she turned into a real stuck-up bitch and you had to break-up with her?
LMAO
I can't speak from personal experience, but I'll trust your judgement on that one.

Quote:
Im afraid that would happen to my little princess - its GREAT to know there is a remedy there if needed - but I aint gonna fuck with perfection! thumbs up
You're welcome!
yghartsyrt
tried a 0.12 µF cap and it reduced it to a reasonable level.
Still a bit noisy, but i guess that's just part of the deal. Thanks for your tip, flight.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1