MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Bitcrusher for Guitar (HEXE - Bitcrusher III) + Video
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Best Bitcrusher for Guitar (HEXE - Bitcrusher III) + Video
Kayzer
I hope its okay to post my mini reviews about obscure pedals here, that always go in hand with a video demo…

I am looking for a decent Bitcrusher dedicated to use it with guitar for a long time now.
The WMD Geiger Counter had way too many stupid wavebanks to scroll through and it was nearly impossible to find a cool setting again…
The OTO Biscuit was very decent sounding but a bit too awkward to use with guitar.

Then there is the Hexe Bitcrusher, I got it and instantly fell in love with it since its super easy to tweak and find sweet spots.
It has an LFO Unlock switch (Modulation) and once engaged the pedal goes into an auto sweep through the downsample frequency range, when engaged the pot value of the downsample knob is affecting the speed of the modulation/LFO sweep.
The pedal is built like a tank, has a dedicated 3 way toggle to be used with humbuckers / singe coils or line signals and another 3 way switch to assign the exp. pedal input to downsample, crush or both…

Here is a demo video I made

Danotranto
nice vid-

that guy makes very imaginative pedals, id really like to buy a melusine but theyre a bit out of my price range

another cool bit crusher is the seppuku fx pitch monster
MrBiggs
Kayzer wrote:
I hope its okay to post my mini reviews about obscure pedals here, that always go in hand with a video demo…

That's what the forum is for! And glad you did, as I've been jonesing for a bit crusher. I like what the WMD does, as well as the A189-1 and Malgorithm for eurorack, but haven't yet pulled the trigger since I'm not as interested in the multitudes of crackle and static that, to me, sound pretty much the same.

Any idea the price, and where the Hexe pedals can be found in the States? The Bitcrusher looks great.
Buckage
Great demo! Very musical pedal.
smetak
I watched your very fine review when originally posted on Youtube. But from it, I couldn't really see the difference between the Bitcrusher and the WMD Geiger Counter. They seem awfully similar.
Kayzer
smetak wrote:
I watched your very fine review when originally posted on Youtube. But from it, I couldn't really see the difference between the Bitcrusher and the WMD Geiger Counter. They seem awfully similar.

Its alot easier to find the sweetspots on the Hexe BC, i was tweaking the WMD for hours to find cool sounds for my guitar. On Top it has the above mentioned LFO/Modulation unlock for the autosweep through the Downsample freq range...
dkcg
Have you tried a Catalinbread Heliotrope? Similar sounds, but kinda reminds of of the ringmod sound that bitcrushers can get sometimes.
Kayzer
MrBiggs wrote:
Kayzer wrote:

That's what the forum is for! And glad you did, as I've been jonesing for a bit crusher. I like what the WMD does, as well as the A189-1 and Malgorithm for eurorack, but haven't yet pulled the trigger since I'm not as interested in the multitudes of crackle and static that, to me, sound pretty much the same.

Any idea the price, and where the Hexe pedals can be found in the States? The Bitcrusher looks great.

I think he only sells his pedal direct but he ships international. The Bitcrusher is 225 euro...
smetak
Kayzer wrote:
smetak wrote:

Its alot easier to find the sweetspots on the Hexe BC, i was tweaking the WMD for hours to find cool sounds for my guitar. On Top it has the above mentioned LFO/Modulation unlock for the autosweep through the Downsample freq range...

Ah yes, so true. The Geiger Counter is a great pedal, but the downside is the countless hours and good amount of sweat attempting to capture the sweetspots - no doubt, the ease of the Bitcrusher may be a plus if compared to the WMD.
Kayzer
screaming goo yo
MrBiggs
Piotr wrote back.

Yeah it's 225 EUR for the guitar pedal version with the stomp switch. He has a "desktop" version that has a nice pushbutton for 260 EUR. Now, since that adds up to $321 and $371 respectively, I'd have a really hard time justifying that for even a miracle bit crusher. Biggest disappointment is that unlike the Geiger Counter, the expression pedal input can't be used with control voltage.

Here's what he wrote about that:

Quote:
The Expression pedal input works as a control voltage input, but it can't be used directly with CV outputs of modular synths.
The Ring is connected to the reference voltage (3.3V) and Tip is the voltage input. The safe voltage range is 0..3.3V. Plugging mono jack into EXP in can damage the pedal, negative voltage present at the TIP, too.
Bottom line: i wouldn't recommend trying to use the pedal direclty with modular CVs. Some kind of converter + protection device would be needed

waah

I've heard the complaints about the Geiger Counter, but it just seems more flexible for use with guitar and synth.
MrBiggs
I was just googling around about bit crushing pedals and ran across a post on Talkbass where Malekko spills some beans about something called Holley Erectus.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/holley-erectus-406358/

down at the bottom:
Quote:
k,
an "official" update, the Holley Erectus has gone through quite a few super awesome changes in the past few months. First of which the pedal will be an actual digital bit crusher...that's a pretty big one, 2nd the filter is being redesigned to be a MUCH better filter (think moog lowpass with variable Q) also we MAY be able to do tap tempo for the S&H section. We have 4 or so pedals that are Soooooo close to being done right now...one of which i havent spoke publicly about that is for you Bass players!!!!!!
i will tell you it's called the "Plaster Caster" and it will probably be our soonest release

As far as the Erectus, it's still going to be a few months...sorry, but i want to get it "perfect"...it DOES have my name on it!!!

woah

Now, since this post was like three years ago, and since I know that there are a few Malekko products that seem to be years old and still anticipated (Q-ASR among others) I refuse, REFUSE to get my hopes up about this. But does anyone know anything about it? Josh, you reading this? And wtf is the Plaster Caster?
Kayzer
MrBiggs wrote:
I was just googling around about bit crushing pedals and ran across a post on Talkbass where Malekko spills some beans about something called Holley Erectus.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/holley-erectus-406358/

down at the bottom:
Quote:
k,
an "official" update, the Holley Erectus has gone through quite a few super awesome changes in the past few months. First of which the pedal will be an actual digital bit crusher...that's a pretty big one, 2nd the filter is being redesigned to be a MUCH better filter (think moog lowpass with variable Q) also we MAY be able to do tap tempo for the S&H section. We have 4 or so pedals that are Soooooo close to being done right now...one of which i havent spoke publicly about that is for you Bass players!!!!!!
i will tell you it's called the "Plaster Caster" and it will probably be our soonest release

As far as the Erectus, it's still going to be a few months...sorry, but i want to get it "perfect"...it DOES have my name on it!!!

woah

Now, since this post was like three years ago, and since I know that there are a few Malekko products that seem to be years old and still anticipated (Q-ASR among others) I refuse, REFUSE to get my hopes up about this. But does anyone know anything about it? Josh, you reading this? And wtf is the Plaster Caster?

I have to admit i gave up on waiting for that Holley Erectus and also forgot about it. but your post is reactivating my pain, this pedal would be truely a must have. 919 is another story but the new 616 LoFi looks pretty decent...
MrBiggs
Yeah sorry for unearthing that. Further Googling revealed that there are a lot of folk out there that feel the same way. Add me to the lust. I mean list.
Buckage
Got mine today. Very fun to play. Thanks for the review!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1