MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thoughts on adding LEDs to Cwejman DLFO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Thoughts on adding LEDs to Cwejman DLFO
dougcl
I'm thinking of adding LEDs to my Cwejman DLFO to indicate voltage on the outputs. It's probably sufficient just to indicate non-negative voltage to get an idea of what the LFOs are doing at a glance.

There's not a lot of room there, but I could either add one LED per output (three), or maybe one LED per LFO (two). In any case the LEDs would go there somewhere around the outputs.

Provided I can get access to the jack connections, it seems like this would be easy. Just add a resistor in series with an LED between the jack voltage and ground. I'm a little nervous though because it's Cwejman, you know, and I would have to do a perfect job.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

REwire
Gad, I don't understand why he left them out. Considering how Cwejmans are SMT and encased and I bet dense, I think it's gonna be a hell of a hard job adding them in.

You could do what I did, sell it.
felix
If it was me, I would float wires out to a 4HP (or 2HP) blank and put the LEDs on there.

Not only would that give you more room to do the mod, but you won't have modified the front panel.
dougcl
REwire wrote:
Gad, I don't understand why he left them out. Considering how Cwejmans are SMT and encased and I bet dense, I think it's gonna be a hell of a hard job adding them in.

I'm surprised how little I use it due to the lack of LEDs.

If I added an LED in series with a resistor, I think it would work, and the LED would be on by an amount proportional to the voltage when the voltage is positive, and it would be off when the voltage is negative provided the voltage does not exceed the reverse breakdown limit of the LED (can't remember what that typically is).
dkcg
dougcl wrote:
REwire wrote:

I'm surprised how little I use it due to the lack of LEDs.

If I added an LED in series with a resistor, I think it would work, and the LED would be on by an amount proportional to the voltage when the voltage is positive, and it would be off when the voltage is negative provided the voltage does not exceed the reverse breakdown limit of the LED (can't remember what that typically is).

Might be a moot point unless you get LEDs that react to negative signals too, like those red/green polar LEDs in Moogerfoogers and some PlanB modules. Why not just make an 1/8" LED built into a jack and use mults?
dougcl
dkcg wrote:

get LEDs that react to negative signals too, like those red/green polar LEDs in Moogerfoogers and some PlanB modules

Just ordered 10. Thanks for the idea. Looked at the DLFO, looks like plenty of room bewteen the board and the panel.
consumed
im remotely aware of led driver circuits that exist out in the wild. id guess that this might be the way you'd want to go.

ive taken a dlfo apart and its VERY cramped in there. i wouldnt be comfortable doing this mod to my own dlfo. i like the breakout panel idea better.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1