MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Filters
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Filters
Waz
i was originally going to get a Livewire FS, but I think Ill hold off. I dont like what I am hearing about the 'ghost noises" it picks up from other modules.

I was looking at the plan b M11. What are your thoughts? I really like the the sound of vactrols. Is this a solid filter?
dkcg
I think the M11 isn't vactrol based. The Model 12 is.

The M11 Evil Twin is cool, but not my first choice for filters. But it gets very gritty and nasty, much nastier than the M12.
Waz
dkcg wrote:
I think the M11 isn't vactrol based. The Model 12 is.

The M11 Evil Twin is cool, but not my first choice for filters. But it gets very gritty and nasty, much nastier than the M12.

From EAR;
"Utilizing an all-discrete core comprising twice the vactrols found in the mellifluous Model 12"

Idunno I listened to samples of both on Plan-B's site and the m12 did sound nice and smooth, but it seemed dull in comparison to the 11. Some of the samples on the m11 were smooth and some were really gritty which I liked. Plus noisebug has a deal on them!
felix
I'm not much of a 'filter collector' personally, so when I consider a filter I try and choose one that will do a lot for me.

Despite it's warts (even though it seems that I have a more well behaved one) I haven't found a better filter for my taste than the Frequensteiner. It sounds awesome as well as unique, has a great LP mode, a very nice BP mode, and a killer and cutting sounding HP. It also has a great sound when FM'd as well.

The M11 never struck a chord with me. I never owned one, so take this with a grain of salt, but it just seemed to have that one "mean bandpass" sound. It had a cool FM sound, but it was still pretty over the top in it's tone. And while it's a cool sounding BP, I wouldn't want *only* a BP.

The M12, on the other hand, is one I've had on my list for quite some time. It sounds super smooth and clean, FM's very nicely and has a killer sounding BP filter. The LP sounds excellent as well and it even has an All-Pass mode, AND all are available simultaneously. It definitely seems to be one of the better "all around" filters. Availability might be tough though.

There's also some great filtering offerings from Doepfer and others.

Is there a particular sound, or feature set, that you're looking for specifically?
Waz
felix wrote:

Is there a particular sound, or feature set, that you're looking for specifically?

I'm looking for something vactrol based for the sound. I'm not much into the "vintage" sound.

It seemed that the vactrols in the m11 smoothed out the "grittyness" a bit, but my experience with filters is fairly limited as well.
parasitk
If you like the vactrol sound then definitely look into the upcoming Wiard filters - the Boogie and Borg, being made by Malekko!

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3882
REwire
The M12 is my fave filter. It's def the loudest of them all. Actually can overdrive a bit. It's resonance comes in immediately in the first 10-20 degress of turning but then tapers the volume off around 12 o'clock so it's weird but predictable that way. The vactrols make for slow response so don't expect a fast envelope to slam it down for hard bass.

I have a M11 too and consider it more an effect than a go to filter. For super grungy or mean sounds, that's it. I also use it as a stereo filter with it's 6 and 12 db outputs. Great for vocals and drum loops.

Don't let the panic hype scare you from the Frequensteiner. They've sold hundreds and a few complainers here don't make a bad product. I never heard mine make sound I didn't intend. It's a great all round do it all filter. Warm, mean, musical and FM's the best. However, no bottom end so big bass, no. The Doepfer A-105 SSM filter is the bassiest filter I've had.

Lastly, you could wait for the Malekko Borg and Boogie filters. They have vactrols as well as the Makenoise QMMG.

Dan
Kent
The Analogue Solutions SY02 is based upon (pretty much a clone of) the MS-20 filter. It is quite flexible and interesting. Really overdrives nicely when presented with high input levels.

The Make Noise QMMG is a mixer, VCA, LP, HP & BP filter all in one. Vactrols coming out yer pooper.

Please see this all-too-similar thread for all-too-similar information:
Another Filter Quest Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1