Iron Curtain Electronics

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

reppiks
Obscure Intergalactic Destroyers!

Iron Curtain Electronics

Post by reppiks » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

So far:
- Polivoks VCF
- Kuzminorgel

Coming:
- Polivoks VCO (when when when???)

???
I remember Mr.TheHarvestman mentioning a while back that Mr.Kuzmin has a load of other interesting circuit ideas for potential future modules...
I wonder how much space I need to reserve for the coming/months years for these cos I know i want them all!!!
(yeah, i'm too impatient)

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:07 am

The Polivoks VCO prototype board is currently on its way to me.

RubberCityNoise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RubberCityNoise » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:35 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:The Polivoks VCO prototype board is currently on its way to me.
:nana:
Any ideas on the features yet?
Life without synthesis has no meaning!

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:The Polivoks VCO prototype board is currently on its way to me.
Excellent!

Something I would love in euro is some kind of dirty aggressive analogue distortion with cv control and switches for different distortion modes, I can imagine something like this coming out of this range of modules... Kind of a more gritty deranged alternative to the plague bearer

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:28 am

I built a Polivoks VCO prototype and so far things are looking good. The following features are changed or added from the original Polivoks specification:

- linear FM input (sounds great!)
- expo FM input has an attenuverter
- Oscillator output levels are closer to 10vpp
- The frequency control no longer has a rotary octave switch. Instead it has my style of coarse/fine tuning knobs, and there's a possibility that a +/- octave toggle switch will make it onto the final module.
- continuously variable PWM with voltage control
- sync
- This oscillator appears to draw less than 40mA in use.

I'm waiting to hear back from Kuzmin for a detailed calibration procedure. There are a half dozen trimmers on the back of this thing and tuning the thermal stabilization is really amusing. Once I hear this, I can verify that my board layout is within spec. Things already look good for that and I am optimistic. I am waiting on a shipment of mica capacitors from Russia and some potentiometers from China, then this can go into production. I already have a good stockpile of all Russian ICs necessary.

I'll ask Kuzmin if he thinks any of the other distortion/effect circuits he developed would be worth investigating for modular use. He says he has many more circuits to show me and is excited for the collaboration to continue.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:09 am

If it is like the real polivoks oscillators, tuning is a bit of a chore. If i remember correctly, you have a low and high course and low and high fine and you have to take turns adjusting each while playing certain notes.

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Wow, thanks for that detailed post, great to hear the vco is coming along well and the feature set sounds awesome! Tuning stability is the lowest priority for me, sounds like this thing is going to be beautifully messy in all the right ways.

V excited to see what Kuzmin pulls out of the bag from his other circuits...

artisokka
Veteran Wiggler

Post by artisokka » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:37 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:there's a possibility that a +/- octave toggle switch will make it onto the final module.
That would be a nice (bonus)feature.
dequalsrxt wrote:fat is warmer than digital is analog, except when it's more west than east, in which case cold is the hotness, but not very musical.

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:49 pm

artisokka wrote:
governor blacksnake wrote:there's a possibility that a +/- octave toggle switch will make it onto the final module.
+1. I would really love this

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:14 pm

reppiks wrote:
artisokka wrote:
Just tested this and it works great. Might make the top row a little crowded near the fine tune knob, but I think it's a useful addition too.

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:27 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:
reppiks wrote:
artisokka wrote:
Just tested this and it works great. Might make the top row a little crowded near the fine tune knob, but I think it's a useful addition too.
I have small hands so a bit of crowding here and there on the modular is fine for me, esp if it means getting something handy like
this

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm more of a fan of the tried and true Oct Select rotary switch, a toggle works as well =o] Been waiting to hear this, glad its in the final stretch!
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Veqtor » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:16 am

Octave switch is really a useful feature, I wish every osc had one!

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:19 am

:party:

artisokka
Veteran Wiggler

Post by artisokka » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:45 am

Any news on VCO?
dequalsrxt wrote:fat is warmer than digital is analog, except when it's more west than east, in which case cold is the hotness, but not very musical.

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:19 pm

It's next in line for production. Just waiting for some awesome Russian capacitors to arrive.

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:21 pm

I know I need this, but my 6U is full... What to sacrifice?!
(I know the standard muffs response is to buy another case, but 6U really is my financial limit for the currently foreseeable future)

megamouse
Amiga + Modular = Life

Post by megamouse » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:49 am

governor blacksnake wrote:It's next in line for production. Just waiting for some awesome Russian capacitors to arrive.
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
http://ccdm.bandcamp.com
http://www.radiograffiti.org/ccdm/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ccdm9
http://sociopath-recordings-artists.blo ... dm-us.html
soundxplorer wrote:"These Eurorack cases are too expensive," said the Confucianist.

"The 3.5 mm jacks are a pain to deal with," said the Buddhist.

"This synthesizer makes really cool noises," said the Taoist.

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:01 am

governor blacksnake wrote:It's next in line for production. Just waiting for some awesome Russian capacitors to arrive.
Before the new Tyme Sefari? I'm certainly interested in the polivoks VCO, but I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on the new Tyme Sefari!

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:56 pm

governor blacksnake wrote: I'll ask Kuzmin if he thinks any of the other distortion/effect circuits he developed would be worth investigating for modular use. He says he has many more circuits to show me and is excited for the collaboration to continue.
Any update from Mr.Kuzmin on other circuit ideas? I'm planning a custom Iron Electronics skiff and wondering how wide to make it if there is the possibility of other modules on the horizon at some point. A distortion circuit would be ultimate. So far will have 2 Polivox VCGs, 1 Polivox VCF, 1 Kuzminorgel and a couple of utility modules. A dirty sub-synth to connect into my main system or be used as a super-compact standalone synth. Cheers

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:38 am

Patiently waiting for the new Polivoks releases and VCG with new faceplate/knobs, I want an Iron Curtain skiff!

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 am

The_Crooked_Man wrote:
Before the new Tyme Sefari? I'm certainly interested in the polivoks VCO, but I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on the new Tyme Sefari!
I just got my MKII Tyme Sefary and it's F "$?"$ great I highly suggest A sound of thunder MKII expander. the switch controlled with gates brings interesting thins.

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Dave, the last two Polivoks modules are released in December. Waiting for some more custom pots to be made for the EG.

reppiks

Post by reppiks » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:30 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:Hi Dave, the last two Polivoks modules are released in December. Waiting for some more custom pots to be made for the EG.
Thanks! Can't wait!

Spip
Common Wiggler

Post by Spip » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:06 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:Hi Dave, the last two Polivoks modules are released in December. Waiting for some more custom pots to be made for the EG.
Any (rough) idea of the price of the VCA-ADSR ?

Return to “The Harvestman”