MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Iron Curtain Electronics
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Iron Curtain Electronics
reppiks
So far:
- Polivoks VCF
- Kuzminorgel

Coming:
- Polivoks VCO (when when when???)

???
I remember Mr.TheHarvestman mentioning a while back that Mr.Kuzmin has a load of other interesting circuit ideas for potential future modules...
I wonder how much space I need to reserve for the coming/months years for these cos I know i want them all!!!
(yeah, i'm too impatient)
governor blacksnake
The Polivoks VCO prototype board is currently on its way to me.
RubberCityNoise
governor blacksnake wrote:

nanners
Any ideas on the features yet?
reppiks

Excellent!

Something I would love in euro is some kind of dirty aggressive analogue distortion with cv control and switches for different distortion modes, I can imagine something like this coming out of this range of modules... Kind of a more gritty deranged alternative to the plague bearer
governor blacksnake
I built a Polivoks VCO prototype and so far things are looking good. The following features are changed or added from the original Polivoks specification:

- linear FM input (sounds great!)
- expo FM input has an attenuverter
- Oscillator output levels are closer to 10vpp
- The frequency control no longer has a rotary octave switch. Instead it has my style of coarse/fine tuning knobs, and there's a possibility that a +/- octave toggle switch will make it onto the final module.
- continuously variable PWM with voltage control
- sync
- This oscillator appears to draw less than 40mA in use.

I'm waiting to hear back from Kuzmin for a detailed calibration procedure. There are a half dozen trimmers on the back of this thing and tuning the thermal stabilization is really amusing. Once I hear this, I can verify that my board layout is within spec. Things already look good for that and I am optimistic. I am waiting on a shipment of mica capacitors from Russia and some potentiometers from China, then this can go into production. I already have a good stockpile of all Russian ICs necessary.

I'll ask Kuzmin if he thinks any of the other distortion/effect circuits he developed would be worth investigating for modular use. He says he has many more circuits to show me and is excited for the collaboration to continue.
Rod Serling Fan Club
If it is like the real polivoks oscillators, tuning is a bit of a chore. If i remember correctly, you have a low and high course and low and high fine and you have to take turns adjusting each while playing certain notes.
reppiks
Wow, thanks for that detailed post, great to hear the vco is coming along well and the feature set sounds awesome! Tuning stability is the lowest priority for me, sounds like this thing is going to be beautifully messy in all the right ways.

V excited to see what Kuzmin pulls out of the bag from his other circuits...
artisokka
there's a possibility that a +/- octave toggle switch will make it onto the final module.

That would be a nice (bonus)feature.
reppiks
artisokka wrote:
there's a possibility that a +/- octave toggle switch will make it onto the final module.

+1. I would really love this
governor blacksnake
reppiks wrote:
artisokka wrote:

Just tested this and it works great. Might make the top row a little crowded near the fine tune knob, but I think it's a useful addition too.
reppiks
reppiks wrote:
artisokka wrote:

Just tested this and it works great. Might make the top row a little crowded near the fine tune knob, but I think it's a useful addition too.

I have small hands so a bit of crowding here and there on the modular is fine for me, esp if it means getting something handy like
this
computer controlled
I'm more of a fan of the tried and true Oct Select rotary switch, a toggle works as well =o] Been waiting to hear this, glad its in the final stretch!
Veqtor
Octave switch is really a useful feature, I wish every osc had one!
negativspace
w00t
artisokka
Any news on VCO?
governor blacksnake
It's next in line for production. Just waiting for some awesome Russian capacitors to arrive.
reppiks
I know I need this, but my 6U is full... What to sacrifice?!
(I know the standard muffs response is to buy another case, but 6U really is my financial limit for the currently foreseeable future)
megamouse
It's next in line for production. Just waiting for some awesome Russian capacitors to arrive.

hyper hyper hyper
The_Crooked_Man

Before the new Tyme Sefari? I'm certainly interested in the polivoks VCO, but I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on the new Tyme Sefari!
reppiks

I'll ask Kuzmin if he thinks any of the other distortion/effect circuits he developed would be worth investigating for modular use. He says he has many more circuits to show me and is excited for the collaboration to continue.

Any update from Mr.Kuzmin on other circuit ideas? I'm planning a custom Iron Electronics skiff and wondering how wide to make it if there is the possibility of other modules on the horizon at some point. A distortion circuit would be ultimate. So far will have 2 Polivox VCGs, 1 Polivox VCF, 1 Kuzminorgel and a couple of utility modules. A dirty sub-synth to connect into my main system or be used as a super-compact standalone synth. Cheers
reppiks
Patiently waiting for the new Polivoks releases and VCG with new faceplate/knobs, I want an Iron Curtain skiff!
robotopsy
The_Crooked_Man wrote:

Before the new Tyme Sefari? I'm certainly interested in the polivoks VCO, but I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on the new Tyme Sefari!

I just got my MKII Tyme Sefary and it's F "$?"$ great I highly suggest A sound of thunder MKII expander. the switch controlled with gates brings interesting thins.
governor blacksnake
Hi Dave, the last two Polivoks modules are released in December. Waiting for some more custom pots to be made for the EG.
reppiks
Hi Dave, the last two Polivoks modules are released in December. Waiting for some more custom pots to be made for the EG.

Thanks! Can't wait!
Spip

Any (rough) idea of the price of the VCA-ADSR ?
causticlogic

Hmm...so no Polivoks mixer with a noise generator and external input? I suppose those could be DIYed though.

And...again any news on the other Kuzmin designs? Like Dave, I have plans to put together a Polivoks modular of sorts, but I'd be curious to know what Vladimir is pushing your way as that could affect my plans significantly since i plan to make a special case specifically for it.
Fidgit
causticlogic wrote:
And...again any news on the other Kuzmin designs? Like Dave, I have plans to put together a Polivoks modular of sorts, but I'd be curious to know what Vladimir is pushing your way as that could affect my plans significantly since i plan to make a special case specifically for it.

i wonder, too... seriously, i just don't get it
MindMachine
Looks like the Polivoks VCA/ENV is now in stock at Control.
Curtis
Any idea when the VCG with new faceplate will produced?
governor blacksnake
The VCG (updated graphics) will be headed to manufacturing next week. Stores that once sold the "original" VCG will also have available a replacement faceplate with updated graphics.

The Polivoks Modulator starts shipping to dealers on Monday.
causticlogic
You make kitty purr...and kitty's wallet bleed. twisted
Curtis
The VCG (updated graphics) will be headed to manufacturing next week. Stores that once sold the "original" VCG will also have available a replacement faceplate with updated graphics.

The Polivoks Modulator starts shipping to dealers on Monday.
Curtis
Yay!
Starrefision
couldn't resist,
had to grab a modulator as soon as they were ready.

extra unmentioned feature pointed out to me by scott is.... you get a bonus pink noise source by inserting a cable halfway into the c/v input for s&h.

causticlogic
Anyone have all the current draws for all of the following?:

Polivoks VCG = ? mA
Polivoks VCF = 25 mA (though I've also found references to 40mA)
Polivoks Modulator = 30 / 35 mA
Polivoks VCA/EG = ? mA
Kuzminorgel = ? mA

Also...
Qotile Ultimatum = ? mA
minphase
tsunamisucks
from harvestman fb:

Quote:
IRON CURTAIN ELECTRONICS SYSTEM AVAILABLE NOW - five systems, first come - first serve - direct from The Harvestman Digital Audio Electronics for immediate shipment. Desktop case by Monorocket, power supply by Make Noise.

The Iron Curtain Electronics system is a modular instrument based on the legendary POLIVOKS synthesizer, created in cooperation with the original instrument designer Vladimir Kuzmin. The Polivoks was the first voltage-controlled synthesizer from the Soviet Union, first manufactured in a military radio factory in 1982 from a special selection of components. It later became notorious in the West for its aggressive sonic character. All modules and system components are compliant with the Eurorack format.

The Polivoks modular voice contains temperature-stabilized sawtooth-core VCOs, VCAs, and ADSR envelopes (two each), combined with a noise source, sample-and-hold, LFO, the famous 2-pole filter, and the suboctave circuit from the LIDER guitar effects processor. To preserve the character of the circuits, NOS electronic components from the USSR were used where appropriate.

The Harvestman has added specialized mixer, multiple, and slew limiter modules for patching these classic circuits into this new modular environment. The Iron Curtain modules have a redesigned user interface towards this goal, with extended controls not available on the original keyboard instrument such as individually patchable outputs, advanced envelope controls, and a plethora of attenuverted control voltage inputs. Packaged in a durable, portable desktop cabinet by Monorocket, the modules sit at a pleasant angle to the performer, with a large flat area on the top of the case for additional modular cabinets or other electronic instruments to be stacked above.

More Iron Curtain Electronics modules will be released in 2015, continuing the work of Vladimir Kuzmin with selections from his vast instrument design portfolio.

PRICE: $2000 USD (plus shipping) . Send an email to sales@theharvestman.org to organize a purchase, please include "IRON CURTAIN" in the subject field.

INCLUDED:

2x HMR1983 Polivoks Oscillator
1x HMR1982 Polivoks Filter
2x HMR1985 Polivoks Envelope/VCA
1x HMR1987 Polivoks Modulator
1x HMR1984 Lider Suboctave
1x Multiple Miggs
assorted blank panels
Quickstart manual pages/faceplate translations
Colored patch cables, 3 different lengths (23 cables total)
utterly delightful embroidered Harvestman insignia badge

Case: Monorocket desktop case, black tolex. 104HP, lid included
Dimensions: 24 x 14 x 12 with lid (inches)
Weight: 23 pounds with lid
Power supply: Makenoise MINI-PWR (AC adaptor works worldwide.)
Room for expansion: 27HP, +750mA +12V, -250mA -12V

*** NOTE: These first systems do not include the pictured KING SLENDER mixer/slew module, available in January 2015 with improved performance. The price has been adjusted accordingly, and early adopters may add this module later at a discounted price.

applause applause applause applause applause applause
MrVinegar
Urgh, I want this. I need to save some monies...
alexOS
Can't Wait!
basementguyss
nice nanners
mt3

Not strictly Iron Curtain, but beautiful enough.
mt3
So what is the original way the system was patched together?

"The LFO, or "Modulator" offers triangle, square, random and noise waveshapes and can be applied to the oscillator level and pitch or the filter cutoff. There are also two ADSR envelopes for contouring the oscillators and filters."
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/polivoks.php

Modulator -> VCG -> VCF -> ADSR/VCA-1
ADSR/VCA-2 -> VCG
?

More details here:
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/articles/polivoks.htm
mt3
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/282917546" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Quick riff showcasing the ADSRVCA.

Sequencing
Stillson Hammer mk ][

Voices
Harvestman Polivoks VCG - Polivoks VCF - Polivoks ADSRVCA
Elements - Erbeverb
Mutant BD
Piston Honda mk ][ - Geiger Counter - Double Andore mk ][
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 2