MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analogue Solutions Oscs and octaves
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Analogue Solutions Oscs and octaves
donaldm
Hello again,

I just received a few modules to begin my new synth from Analogue Solutions. I made the assumption that since the VCO lacked an octave selector the pitch range as controlled by the pot would be large, which would have been fine for me. Sadly, the pitch pot only adjusts only +- 1 octave.

Should I be able to use a Doepfer A-133 polarizer to adjust the CV going into the oscillators? The description for it states it can adjust a CV signal +- 2.5 volts. Using my primitive math skills I translate this to mean I can adjust the cv for pitch by 2.5 octaves in a 1 volt per octave system.

Is there fault in my admittedly naive understanding of the electronics involed in modulars?

Thanks,

D
Jari Jokinen
A-133 doesn't give voltage offset. It is the amplification range, which is from -2.5 to +2.5.

A-185-2 Precision CV Adder has switches, which may be used for voltage offset in 1V increments. Continuous control of offset is also possible in 1V range. A-185-2 is one of my favourite modules.
REwire
Wow, you're the only one I've heard to have an Analogue Solutions Oscillator. I've had many opportunities but never did. You'll have to give an assessment of how you think it sounds. Maybe post a clip.

Aside from that A-185-2 there's an Analogue Systems module - RS-420 that has a multi octave selector for 3 separate oscs. Analogue Solutions cases have both Doepfer and ASys connectors so it's an easy install.

dan
donaldm
Cool thanks for the info. The AS-420 looks perfect.

I didn't want to go crazy at first with my eurorack, so i purchased Analogue Solutions simple Osc, SY02 (ladder filter and vca) and EG, plus two doepfer mults and midi to cv. There's a lot of neat functionality on the ASol modules but they all have their drawbacks too, what doesn't.

I only played around with it for a few minutes sequenced with an MPC. I thought the Osc sounded pleasantly rubbery/plasticy not so dissimilar from the osc on a 101 or 202 or thereabouts.

I defiantly will try to post some samples this weekend.
dkcg
Rasta-nana Mmmm 420...

I have an ASol Sub oscilator. One main out, and 3 sub octaves out, requires 5volts for the sub octaves to work, no sine, but I like driving my miniwave with it. It has this quirky thing where w/o any CV inputs, it doesn't get very high frequency, but w/ CVs going in, gets a full range and tracks fairly well.

Nothing fancy, but decent saws. The suboctave is nice for modulating a filter the main out feeds into.
Kent
Hello Donald,

I've got three ASol Oscs. in my Vostok. Which one is yours exactly? Is it this one in this link?

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/vco.htm
(The pics are too large to post)

I've got one of these: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/rm.htm

and two of these: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/vcosub.htm
in the Vostok.
The SY02 is built into the Vostok as well and it is my favorite filter along with the QMMG from Make Noise.

Tom Carpenter has a different approach to synth modules. I'm saying that in a good way. Basically, your CV will determine the octave in which the oscillator plays and the knob is meant as an offset. The 3 types ASol oscillators that I have (one type is from the Black Coffee) all have a small trimmer on them as well. This can be used for super-fine tuning if needed, but I've never needed to play with mine.

Does your EG have the EMS-style retriggering? That's cool as hell & you should give it a try if you have that particular model.

I've got to try dkcg's idea with the sub-octave out. Never thought of that one.
dkcg
Kent wrote:
Hello Donald,

I've got three ASol Oscs. in my Vostok. Which one is yours exactly? Is it this one in this link?

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/vco.htm
(The pics are too large to post)

I've got one of these: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/rm.htm

and two of these: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/vcosub.htm
in the Vostok.
The SY02 is built into the Vostok as well and it is my favorite filter along with the QMMG from Make Noise.

Tom Carpenter has a different approach to synth modules. I'm saying that in a good way. Basically, your CV will determine the octave in which the oscillator plays and the knob is meant as an offset. The 3 types ASol oscillators that I have (one type is from the Black Coffee) all have a small trimmer on them as well. This can be used for super-fine tuning if needed, but I've never needed to play with mine.

Does your EG have the EMS-style retriggering? That's cool as hell & you should give it a try if you have that particular model.

I got the VCO-Sub. MY only complaint is w/o a CV in, it's range via knob is limited. But no problem with a M36 leveler...that thing comes in so handy. I don't use the oscillator too often, but it comes in handy for driving the Miniwave and giving a nice suboctave to modulate filters and other things. The lowest suboctave comes in handy for gating envelopes too.
Kent
Clarification:

I was asking this of the O.G. 'DonaldM' that started the thread since I wasn't sure which osc. he was referring to. However, it must be said, that I sure do loves me some "Even-More-O.G.-DonK." Hug

I keep meaning to pick up an M36 but I'll wait until the whole Plan B debacle blows over or I find a used one.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
dkcg wrote:
Rasta-nana Mmmm 420...

I was waiting for some post along this line. Marge Simpson

marge icon for no reason what so ever.
donaldm
Kent wrote:
Hello Donald,

Hey Kent,

Yeah I just have the basic VCO, but have my finger on the trigger for the VCO-RM, more for the triangle wave than the rm, but like most Solutions modules, it's a nice bonus. Ill probably add the VCO sub down the line as my third osc and control all three with the Ananlgue SYstem's 420.

I spent the morning yesterday fooling around with the SY02 a/b-ing it against a Doepfer A-120. The SY02, for reasons unbeknown to me, reacted quicker to the EG signals than the 120. The 2 filters sounded similar but the SY02 clearly distorted a signal more pleasantly than the doepfer.

The EG01 has the EMS style reapeat. Its nice. If you hold a key down, or supply an open gate signal (my MS20s mod wheel output worked perfectly) and have the sustain level at zero the A and D act as a quasi lfo. Its a cool way to get a key retriggered lfo.

I'm pretty happy with the first three modules and I'm going to fill out my synth with A. Sol modules + some other utilities. I'm building a monosynth in as small as possible space (6U max) so these modules are ideal.

The Vostok is absolutely dreamy and in hindsight I probably should have just gotten one considering the cost of everything that goes into a modular.

D
Kent
donaldm wrote:
Yeah I just have the basic VCO, but have my finger on the trigger for the VCO-RM, more for the triangle wave than the rm, but like most Solutions modules, it's a nice bonus. Ill probably add the VCO sub down the line as my third osc and control all three with the Ananlgue SYstem's 420.

That RS-420 seems like an ideal match for the Vostok and/or the system that you are putting together. I'll have to check it out if it is at Musik Messe or just order one up from Bob since he is near to my E.U. HQ and pick it up.

donaldm wrote:
I spent the morning yesterday fooling around with the SY02 a/b-ing it against a Doepfer A-120. The SY02, for reasons unbeknown to me, reacted quicker to the EG signals than the 120. The 2 filters sounded similar but the SY02 clearly distorted a signal more pleasantly than the doepfer.

I do believe that the A-120 is more Moog Transistor ladder based. The SY02 is MS-20 based. Actually a clone down to the components save 2 that were changed. I'll second your observation regarding the distortion characteristic of the SY02 when you nail the input. It's been mentioned before on this forum & it really is a special thing.
Have you tried directly comparing your SY02 with your MS-20's filter in way that would remove as many variables as possible? I'd love to hear your thoughts and would love it (and you love ) even more if you could post some A/B clips and not tell us which is which for a while. Yup, I know that it is a PITA.

Big Don Tha Playaâ„¢ wrote:
The EG01 has the EMS style reapeat. Its nice. If you hold a key down, or supply an open gate signal (my MS20s mod wheel output worked perfectly) and have the sustain level at zero the A and D act as a quasi lfo. Its a cool way to get a key retriggered lfo.

Glad to hear that you've messed with that feature. It's wonderfully entertaining. I wasn't sure if you had picked up on it during your time with the EG01 and whether it was the EG01 that you owned.

donaldm wrote:
I'm pretty happy with the first three modules and I'm going to fill out my synth with A. Sol modules + some other utilities. I'm building a monosynth in as small as possible space (6U max) so these modules are ideal.

The Vostok is absolutely dreamy and in hindsight I probably should have just gotten one considering the cost of everything that goes into a modular.

You could still sell it all and pony up for Teh New Hawt Sexy Red Coupe de Ville. The Vostok is physically smaller & lighter than a comparable 6U case from anyone else. The patch matrix is also highly convenient for leaving long-term patches set up in advance for gigging, etc. And you can close it up with all the patching in place. The Vostok and a Doepfer Beauty Case would be an ideal porta-rig. The power inlet is on the side, so you can Rock the Casbah (or Vostok) standing up or laying down (the Vostok, not you...). There's so much jammed in there, it is really a great and compact solution. The CV Sequencer is also an 8-step Gate Seq. Just pull out the knobs. I've rambled off 250,000 words about the Vostok on this forum in the past. Should be easy to find if you do a search for "Vostok".
donaldm
OH man, sorry. I have a SY03 not a SY02. Hence the comparison to the 120. My Brain stopped working!!!
Kent
Ah, cool enough. There is a similar one in the Black Coffee.
donaldm
OK as promised but two days late. Here is a square wave from the ASol basic VCO into their SY03 low pass filter. Which is being modulated by their EG01. The VCA circuit is wide open no control from the EG.

I do some sweeps, play with the envelopes slopes, flip the polarity and some other parlor tricks. I hope this gives an idea of this combination's sound.

d

a.sol sounds
REwire
That sounds great! Thanks! Analogue Solutions should get way more credit for his modules. The drum modules have some gems and the MS-20 filter is super nice. Now I hear the oscs have some character too. I have plenty of the 4hp mixers and buffers, those are a staple need.

D
Kent
Very nice sounding little demo, Donald. It makes me want to molest my Black Coffee as soon as I get back from Germany.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1