MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

QMMG as a mixer and vca
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author QMMG as a mixer and vca
incekt
to the dudes that have a QMMG:

since real estate is at a premium in my A-100p, could I sell off my Plan B model 9 mixer and a Doepfer a-131 VCA and completely replace them with the QMMG? would the VCA mode still allow me to play keys? can it be used as a VCA and mixer at once?
astroschnautzer
you can isolate every channel you want to use for different duties than mixing by putting a plug in the channels output, you can do vca filtering, mixing all at once. Yeah its a voltagecontrolled mixer too...
Kent
Two answers:

1) to your question: It's all good. Yes, you get similar functionality

2) Yeah, what Astromutt said.
wetterberg
To counter; to me it doesn't replace my mixer. EVen in a small setup I'd still want to have a Doepfer a-138 exp. mixer for doing some of the rough mixing tasks I need.
astroschnautzer
Ive got a model9 in addition to the qmmg but rarely use it for anything else then attenuating, I suggest buy less and if you feel the need of an additional mixer after using the qmmg then get one. Ofcourse its up to how u use yout modular, I remember somebody saying having 17 mixers or something on someof the synthforums... anyway, mixers are boring :neutral:
wetterberg
17 mixers... must be Bakis, then wink
astroschnautzer
wetterberg wrote:
17 mixers... must be Bakis, then wink
Bakis has more like 70 mixers hihi
berfmurret
for my final stage i have been using the qmmg or polivoks.. i really feel the need for a MIXER mixer. on the qmmg vca is the only mode i can send straight out to my audio interface.. so generally i can't use the mixed output jack in the center if i have lpgs or filters going in other channels.. have been debating back and forth about the model 9... then again the a138 would serve my purpose all while taking up half the space of the m9.. probably whichever one i see for sale used first...

or maybe i should sell my wiener on the street and get a cwejman mx4s
Illiac
Why can't you use the other modes out to your DAW?
berfmurret
too hot.
wetterberg
so you're debating whether to get an mx4s, while you could just get an attenuator to make the QMMG mix out less hot? smile
berfmurret
Dinner at the Y
wetterberg
berfmurret wrote:
Dinner at the Y
Eel Power FTW!
well played, sir!
Kent
I've got to mention that I've always wondered why there has been such a dearth of mixers in the Euro-modular market. That Plan-B unit has piqued my interest, but I don't know if it will ever see the light of day.

I'm wondering if it is because it is so simple to just integrate an existing analog mixer, like this one, and just use adapter cables. It must be an economy-of-scale thing.

makenoise
berfmurret wrote:
too hot.

You could mix 3 channels in any modes, then apply the "Too HOT Mix OUT" to the 4th channel in VCA mode where you may attenuate. At least for now, this will get you by without further modules.

Tony
makenoise
BTW, I am working on getting some more QMMGs built for both AH and SB. Apologies for the long wait on them, I've just had my hands full with the Wogglebug lately.

Tony
berfmurret
hey tony - your suggestion has been another workaround i have been employing... another reason im not in a huge rush to pick up a mixer.. but i still see one in my future. maybe not next purchase or even the one after that... but before my first rack is full..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1