MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ASR patching examples, demos, etc
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author ASR patching examples, demos, etc
dude
pcb arrived in immaculate condition, stuffed and even has wire connectors so i should have it up and running when i get back tonight. super jazzed. the doctor is amazing. BUY HIS STUFF IN LARGE QUANTITIES NOW!!!!!
sunsinger
@John: STG seems very busy prepping the Archangel sequencer for public consumption. He's told me that new design offerings have been tabled for a bit until he finishes work on the sequencer.

Apparently all of the items offered on his webpage are in production and available. Factor in the lead time posted on his site.

I always get things fairly promptly from him. I'm chomping at the bit for some of his new designs to come out. I do hope the STG brings your ASR out DR. S&E.
I think you may have built the one I have. I used it sans Quantizer when I first got it. Michael Stearns has shared a great patch with me, which I'll pass on and demo when my 2nd ASR comes from the good Dr.

Stearns, a master of the Mighty Serge, had used the Dual ASR without the quantizers to some very rich effects. I hope to do as well with his help.
JohnLRice
Thanks Dr. Sketch-n-Etch and Sunsinger! STG replied to my question when asked in his subforum. It is still happening! thumbs up Here is the thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40050
dude
here is one i just did. some explanations in the video. the thing is amazing. seriously musical, plus you can use it as a bitcrusher!!!!
Navs
Here's a couple of tracks recorded with the Plan B M23 ASR:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2010/03/potd-patch-collective.html

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2009/11/potd-organ-grinder.html

Both use the ASR 'traditionally' to generate a canon, but some things you can try is to shift modulation data e.g. CV > speed of 2 LFOs, envelope decays or VCA 'velocity' etc. Another trick is to quantize a pitch CV post-ASR, depending on the initial tuning of your VCOs. You could also use it to sample and delay gate signals i.e. on/ off rather than discrete CVs.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Hey navs, on your webpage you mention that the slow rising is the sound of a "voltage-loaded, but untriggered, Plan B M23 ASR." How is this possible? Isn't it rather that the ASR is triggered in the audio range so that the increases sound continuous? Or does the clock somehow hold the S&H's open when the clock input is held positive? I don't see how that could work, since then all four S&H's would be seeing the same voltage (or is that the point?), and the triggers would have to be very short and offset in time for the classic ASR function to work at all.

Or is this a manifestation of S&H voltage drift?

I'm confused! hmmm.....
Navs
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Or is this a manifestation of S&H voltage drift?

I think it's this. Some S&Hs droop, the Plan B rises. It's seriously, i just don't get it but musically useful.

I could try it again to see if the rising pitch is dependent on whether the stalled clock is high or low.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Whoa, that's weird! It could be musically useful (it sure sounds cool in your clip), but S&H circuits that drift that fast aren't too flash in my book.

I read the description of the M23 circuit on the Plan B website with interest, and the S&H chip sounded pretty flash. I'm surprised that it drifts so badly.

In my updated CGS ASR circuit (which is only 3 stages), the S&H circuits are very simple: just low-leakage metallized polypropylene film caps and low input bias current buffers (LF444) accessed by rail-to-rail bipolar digital switches (DG409). They drift very very slowly. If one loops the 3rd output back to the input and clocks the ASR at audio rates, then the three stored-and-shifted voltages will drift downward at roughly the same rate as heard in your clip, but this is because of switch leakage (which is unavoidable, even with high-quality switches like DG409).
Navs
Thanks for the info, Dr. !

The M23 product page does mention this:

"... in accordance with the specs of the SMP04, if a tap is held for more than 5 or so seconds the Model 23 may exhibit a slight rise in output voltages across all taps at a rate of approx. of 2mv per second."

http://www.ear-group.net/model_23.html

I found something similar on the Ken Stone site:

"Due to the inversion used in the inputs and outputs of this circuit, the voltage droop is upside down! As the capacitors lose their charge, the output voltages will rise!"

http://cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs34_asr.html

The only shame with the M23 is, due to the drop/ rise, one can't reliably patch a feedback loop.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Navs wrote:
The only shame with the M23 is, due to the drop/ rise, one can't reliably patch a feedback loop.

It sounds like you might be ready to graduate to the Sketch-n-Etch-Updated-Catgirl-Synth-Inspired ASR!

Boards are $20, Stuffed boards are $70, complete modules (5U only) are $120. I'm just about finished with a dual version for Sunsinger ($240) so you can ask him how he likes it in a couple weeks. However, some of his lovely Soundcloud clips were made with one of my boards (which he obtained, unbeknownst to me at the time, via Suit and Tie Guy) if you want to take a listen.
Navs
Haha! Love one, but unfortunately I'm Euro-only.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3