MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ASR patching examples, demos, etc
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author ASR patching examples, demos, etc
haricots
Ok, so I built one half of my dual ASR over the weekend. Nothing went up in smoke so I can only assume it is working somewhat correctly. So far I've enjoyed patching with it and making lots of noise but honestly, I have no idea if it is even working correctly. Does anyone have any patching tips or even better, video/audio demo's of how a ASR should work? I realize the tuning on my homebuilt unit may be an issue (I didn't match shit in terms of resistors) but I'm not really worried about that part yet.

Thanks fella's ....
dude
mine needed quantizer channels per voice as it was fairly far out of tune. not sure which model you have built. anyway, patch a clock into the clock. s/h clock style. fun for cv recorded clocks that are asymmetrical or otherwise funky. next patch in a slow lfo attenuated to taste for ideal range to the signal in to be sampled at said clock rate. i would start with two vcos for simplicity. i like to tune them first in order to get an idea of their relationship. next send the voltage outs either straight in to 1v/o on the vcos or quantizer first. i like the quantizer option as if you are using the madcon dual..duh you have two and you also get those trig outs which are perfect for triggering the egs in order to finish your amp mod to vcas>monitor situation. those things are capable of some fucking hypnotic shit. if i were you i might consider trying to match some of the components of necessary as they can be very musical when wrangled in as such. enjoy! oh and forgive me if left any of the patch connections out i am doing by memory from a long time ago as i haven't had the module for a while.
sduck
I built 2 of the Dr. Sketch&Etch ones, and they track almost perfectly -

haricots
Wow, mine does not sound that pretty. But, I have a feeling I'm feeding it a way too rapid clock - I'll have to try again after work.

Thanks guys.
dude
slow clocks man! don't shoot for audio rate at first. try something like the tick tock of a clock. that way you will actually hear what is going on!
doctorvague
sduck wrote:

Sweet! I could SO overuse something like that. Waycool.
dude
steve, i want to build that module. and i want one of those damn cgs divider things that kindredlost was doing.
sduck
dude wrote:
steve, i want to build that module. and i want one of those damn cgs divider things that kindredlost was doing.

Dr. Sketch&etch - are you still around? Chime in if you see this - otherwise I've got his email address. He can provide you with either the pcb's or the plans to etch your own (I think I also have that stuff here). I'd link you to the appropriate thread here but am afraid to try the search function.

Dunno about the divider thing - the basic cgs one is easy, you could build one in your sleep, is that what you mean?
dude
i can't etch but i would buy the pcb. do you have the fpd file? how much was that badboy. it is long overdue that i have a lookalike of yours in my system and this sit the one. that video is so fucking awesome and the fact that you get tracking worms my heart electric Eel Power FTW!
the divider will probably have to wait for another day. space is running out of the 'other' side.
haricots
I can't for the life of me to get my ASR to function like your, sduck. But I'm still not sure if something is not correct in the build or I just can't give it the signals it needs. eek! very frustrating
haricots
Hey, I thought I asked this before but can't find any history of it. What goes in these blank areas? I put 100n caps in there but I can't remember why. I guess because I had two left over and I assumed it was a printing error on the board ... or someone told me too. d'oh!

haricots
Horray I fixed it all by my lonesome! It seems I forgot to solder a pin or two. What a douche. Anyway, sounds freaking awesome now!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
sduck wrote:
dude wrote:

Dr. Sketch&etch - are you still around? Chime in if you see this - otherwise I've got his email address. He can provide you with either the pcb's or the plans to etch your own (I think I also have that stuff here). I'd link you to the appropriate thread here but am afraid to try the search function.

Dunno about the divider thing - the basic cgs one is easy, you could build one in your sleep, is that what you mean?

Hey guys, I'm still here. In fact, I just sold two ASR boards to someone in Alberta last week. I can etch and drill you a PCB for $20 + $5 domestic/$10 int'l shipping, or I can build and test the board for $70 ($20 for the PCB + twice my cost for the parts) + $10/$15 shipping. I do Paypal.

Or, if you'd like to "roll yer own" I can email the transfer image and build docs, including the nifty panel connections see in sduck's video.
chamomileshark
that sounds great - really interesting - thanks for posting!
Mitchk1989
Any of these easily build able in euro? Right now we have no ASR.
cerebrosis
sduck wrote:

The switches add so much! I've got to build a expander for my Metalbox ASR.
rezzn8r
wish I could participate in this thread, but I'm still waiting for my ASR. waah
Hope it comes soon!
dude
where'd you get your asr from?

oh and dr has pm.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
yeah, if you'd ordered one from me you'd have it by now. Rockin' Banana!
dude
this is the asr i have been waiting for! funny how life goes.
cerebrosis
rezzn8r wrote:
Hope it comes soon!

Metalbox frac ear right? I cant wait to see what you do with it we're not worthy
haricots
Damn, now I'm contemplating buy a Dr. Etch-n-Sketch ASR just for the hell of it. I like those switch functions.
rezzn8r
haricots wrote:
Damn, now I'm contemplating buy a Dr. Etch-n-Sketch ASR just for the hell of it. I like those switch functions.

yes, they look mighty fine

cerebrosis wrote:
rezzn8r wrote:
Hope it comes soon!

Metalbox frac ear right? I cant wait to see what you do with it we're not worthy

me too! hihi
dude
super stoked here. mines supposed to ship next week. i am opting for no switches in my build. just a field of jacks. super simple. my diy setup is getting badass thanks to some awesome awesome people. really accentuating madcon patching possibilities. and i have now come to the point that i am thinking of a single last 1u module in the white beast. very frustrating

edit to add missing w which changes meaning. dual slew is ordered.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
As the dude has mentioned, I am building him an ASR board. I will sell bare PCBs or stuffed boards, but no kits. The reason is simple: if I'm going to go to the trouble of procuring the parts, it takes me less time to stuff and test the board than it would to pack all the parts properly (and it's more fun). Plus this way I can guarantee that the board was shipped in perfect working order, which is important for this particular board since some of the soldering is a bit tricky because of some very fine guard traces in the S&H circuits.

My prices are: $20 for the PCB, $70 for the stuffed and tested board (including all connectors and pins required to wire up to the panel), $10 domestic shipping, $15 European/International shipping.

If you want two or more stuffed PCBs, then I'll offer some sort of discount on the second and subsequent units (say, $10 or $15 off per stuffed board, plus the shipping charge stays the same), as it's much more convenient for me to make these things in multiples.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3