MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

More awesome "triple checked" Plan B modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author More awesome "triple checked" Plan B modules
Malekko
I dont know why, but Plan B is somewhat like an ex girlfriend, i keep thinking "this time it'll be different"
Today's d'oh! is my new leveler, i tested it out, and the top half didnt do anything...the bottom half did so i inspected it to see


d'oh! maybe all three checkers were sick that day?

I also got a M11 that works great...until you put it in a case, if it touches another faceplate it will short out. In all fairness i can see how this could get past their prestigious checkers, because i'm sure they dont mount the modules in a case when they test them.

Some of you may remember my previous post of the M26 that was missing LEDs, well this and some other sorta working Plan B modules has left a bad taste. Everyone makes mistakes, and that's cool..but enough is enough!
After fixing these, i will be posting ALL of my Plan B modules for sale. I can not support a company that flat out doesnt give a crap about their products, their product line and their customers (i emailed Peter yesterday and same as everytime I bring up defective modules i get no reply) It's truly a shame i really want to like Plan B modules...on paper they are fantastic!
There are too many great companies that not only make a great product (and test them) but treat their customers with the respect they deserve.

Soapbox
scozbor
looks worse than my crazy DIY rush jobs eek!
REwire
Where'd you get them? I know BCM checks them in a case before they ship. I was there today and got an M10. Noisebug I would not count on at this point to care about his stuff.
panda30y
I've never bought a plan b module, but I've read alot on the forums and I subscribe to the now irregular plan b yahoo group. It really is sad that this slips through the cracks. I used to try to make excuses to myself for them, because they do carry a large load of modules for a small company. But they really need to rework the infrastructure of the company or something, and work hard to mend their reputation. d'oh!

I work in retailing high end recording equipment, where people spend as much and often times more than what modular users would spend. But even for someone just buying a handful of sm57 mics, if we screw up, we will admit it and apologize and try to mend whatever we can. If the customer has a problem, we'll sometimes ship them a new one before we even receive the defective unit back. Reputation is everything, and I hope that Plan B will realize this, despite what difficulties they are experiencing.

I am rooting for them, and I would love to see them turn around, because I think Peter has some of the best designs.
deastman
Great, I just wrote a post about how all my Plan B modules have been great and free of technical issues, and then see this one...

Peter said they were all going to put their own quality assurance stamps on the modules, right? Whose stamp is on the one in the photo above?
Malekko
deastman wrote:
Great, I just wrote a post about how all my Plan B modules have been great and free of technical issues, and then see this one...

Peter said they were all going to put their own quality assurance stamps on the modules, right? Whose stamp is on the one in the photo above?


some of them have multiple stamps (even though not fully working) this one just had one..#5
felix
weak sauce.

:sadpanda:
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!!
adam henry alert!!!! razz
smitty
At least it was an easy fix. d'oh!

Everyone is ripping Peter apart right now like a Lynch Mob. I can see the growing pains stretch marks all over the forums, but I'm kind of sad reading how irate and pissed off some people are to the point where they want to see Plan B fail. I only hope that some have seen the opportunity and have reached out to help. Plan B has the momentum, and Peter has stepped up to take it to the next level.

It takes experience to know that you can't hold the world on your shoulders. Running a business takes a lot more then a great idea and product. With a load like Peter's, he needs around 8-10 people to run it correctly, and I'm guessing he realizes it since he moved in to a friggin Faktory space. Painful growing pains. Can the demand support the cost of running that size of a business?? I hope so!

Bashing him on our forum could just push him to say "Fuck those guys, I'll make modules for myself". When that happens, we all lose. The Eurorack format loses a huge contributor, and there will be 0 growth other then single run niche pieces unless we see some other designers step up to major volume.

The bottom line is a lot of you have been burned waiting for gear that you already paid for, and there are quality issues. Sucks ass. But, "Burn me once, shame on you, Burn me twice shame on me." We have gotten the message loud and clear of the risks. Realize the risks of Peter walking away in a huff. Less choice, less options.
Kent
The whole Plan-B debacle has been of concern to me for some time, and I've held my tongue until this point. Just to offer some perspective upon how I'm viewing this, I'll state that I started with Mackie Designs when we had 2 whole products shipping and were just launching the analog 8•bus desk. I've also been involved in other businesses along the way.

I take no pleasure in watching Plan-B unravel. It's a gawdamn shame and I like the diversity of options that they bring to us as consumers. However, they're gonna need Plans 'C' & 'D' pretty soon & I'm thinking that they are on a crash course to "Plan F" by the end of the year if they don't get their arms around this NOW.

With that said, here is Kent's First Great List o' Distant Observations.

The places where Plan-B, as a company, is failing:

1) Not a well-thought out business plan
2) Not a well-tended-to dealership relationship & network
3) Customer relations (key)
4) Part of point #1: Overly rapid & unsustainable expansion of product offerings instead of focusing upon a solid core at the beginning.
5) Company image stemming from above
6) My own completely made-up-out-of-the-thin-air concerns about long-term solvency due to the above
7) Erratic behavior & communication mixed with a track-record of taking things too personally. Bundled with Plan B's expectation that customers should actually give a damn and/or cut the company, & individual behind it, some slack for a whole host of personal & business related complications and failings.
8 ) Honest assessment of capabilities

Plan-B strengths:

1) Buchla-esque sounds at an accessible price point
2) On the engineering side, the designs seem solid
3) Many other things about the product line. No need for a list. It should be obvious.
4) Could leverage designer's personality
5) Designer is obviously motivated
6) Great sounds
7) Nice Aesthetic
8 ) Quality until the point of final assembly

I've tried to avoid personalizing this rant, but Peter needs to focus upon his strengths, which are his design skills & ideas plus his passion for the product & synthesis in general. He needs a competent business manager or C.O.O. to actually create & sustain a business around Peter's assets.

I can only imagine the "Plan B Direct" thing being the death-knell for the company. Having a solid middle-man between the consumer and the manufacturer, as an arbitrator & interface for the manufacturer seemed to be a good thing for this brand. Customers need to turn somewhere in order have their grievances addressed. We've seen where the direct addressing of grievances leads. There are many examples on this forum & all of the others. However, Malekko's original post here is the only one that needs to be used. A customer can only go on in good faith before so long before that customer feels like he has been used and he feels the fool. And that relationship has been damaged much in the way it would in any other. As in any relationship; it is VERY hard to regain lost trust.

Also, Mr. Malekko, this is not how I personally interpret your recent Plan-B posts at all; but I'm concerned as to what others think when they see a manufacturer/sorta-competitor critiquing one of their own.
Those with poor reading comprehension skills may well miss the fact that you have clearly stated why you are posting your findings in a public forum. Again, it doesn't bother me personally, but I'm offering a suggestion of being pedantic in making sure that your points are clear so that your online 'rep' and the business in which you've invested don't suffer any blowback.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
smitty wrote:

Everyone is ripping Peter apart right now like a Lynch Mob. I can see the growing pains stretch marks all over the forums, but I'm kind of sad reading how irate and pissed off some people are to the point where they want to see Plan B fail.


I dont think there is one person here that wants to see plan B fail.
Veqtor
I really don't want to see plan b fail, I think their modules are awesome, however, the things I hear about them is very alarming. Now I'm afraid to buy their modules...

seriously, i just don't get it
Johnisfaster
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
smitty wrote:

Everyone is ripping Peter apart right now like a Lynch Mob. I can see the growing pains stretch marks all over the forums, but I'm kind of sad reading how irate and pissed off some people are to the point where they want to see Plan B fail.


I dont think there is one person here that wants to see plan B fail.


absolutely not, I personally wish success on everyone I meet whether I even like them or not. theres a difference between wanting someone to fail and pointing out their failures. theres also a difference between wanting someone to fail and griping about the situation you have with them. not the same thing.

do you expect people to buy broken stuff that shows up 2 months late and take it in stride?
richard
I agree with everything Kent wrote. But the sarcasm in the title of this thread is maybe one thing that unintentionally suggests almost a pleasure in the current mess.

I personally do feel some people here are getting a bit of a sadistic kick out of it.

those of you losing faith in the products you already have can sell your old modules to me - because QC and logistical issues asside, I'm gaining it

Richard
deastman
Malekko wrote:
deastman wrote:
Great, I just wrote a post about how all my Plan B modules have been great and free of technical issues, and then see this one...

Peter said they were all going to put their own quality assurance stamps on the modules, right? Whose stamp is on the one in the photo above?


some of them have multiple stamps (even though not fully working) this one just had one..#5
Should be a stamp on the board and two on the faceplate. Is there a #1 with a circle on the faceplate, indicating that Peter tested it? The numbers in squares indicate who did the board and assembly. The number in a circle indicates who did the testing, and as far as I know, Peter is currently the only one doing testing.

For more information, see the Plan B Yahoo Group, message #2103 "Plan B assembly/inspection Stamps ".
consumed
the circular EAR1 stamp is peter's stamp.
jonkull
Kent wrote:
Also, Mr. Malekko, this is not how I personally interpret your recent Plan-B posts at all; but I'm concerned as to what others think when they see a manufacturer/sorta-competitor critiquing one of their own.


I don't know...this isn't how I see it. I see it as pissed off end-user that got poorly built, poorly tested product. If (for example) Dieter Doepfer came on here and said "I bought a bunch of Plan B modules and they all came poorly assembled and not working...I'd never think of selling something so poorly built to my customers. You guys should buy more Doepfer so you won't have to worry about nonsense like this." Well then....yeah that would be a problem.
droolmaster0
smitty wrote:
At least it was an easy fix. d'oh!

Everyone is ripping Peter apart right now like a Lynch Mob. I can see the growing pains stretch marks all over the forums, but I'm kind of sad reading how irate and pissed off some people are to the point where they want to see Plan B fail. I only hope that some have seen the opportunity and have reached out to help. Plan B has the momentum, and Peter has stepped up to take it to the next level.

It takes experience to know that you can't hold the world on your shoulders. Running a business takes a lot more then a great idea and product. With a load like Peter's, he needs around 8-10 people to run it correctly, and I'm guessing he realizes it since he moved in to a friggin Faktory space. Painful growing pains. Can the demand support the cost of running that size of a business?? I hope so!

Bashing him on our forum could just push him to say "Fuck those guys, I'll make modules for myself". When that happens, we all lose. The Eurorack format loses a huge contributor, and there will be 0 growth other then single run niche pieces unless we see some other designers step up to major volume.

The bottom line is a lot of you have been burned waiting for gear that you already paid for, and there are quality issues. Sucks ass. But, "Burn me once, shame on you, Burn me twice shame on me." We have gotten the message loud and clear of the risks. Realize the risks of Peter walking away in a huff. Less choice, less options.


I just don't understand stuff like this. For instance, how long should I wait, how many times do I deserve to be screamed at on the phone, before he goes the 3 blocks (maybe different now if he's moved) to ship my $2,000+ item that he says is totally fixed? How many broken promises of shipping today, shipping tomorrow, etc? This is not just someone whose business is undergoing growing pains - there are some basic integrity issues here, and when people have been treated like this for LONG periods of time, there is simply nothing wrong with posting publicly about it. If Peter walks away 'in a huff' after this, rather than finally taking responsibility, what does that say about him?
Soy Sos
I for one would like to see a break in this cycle:

ModCo - I'm thinking about making a FlimFlam module
ModPeeps - Ohhhh, please make a FlimFlam module! We neeeeed that!
ModCo - Um, in rethinking the FlimFlam module it's gonna be a while
ModPeeps - We don't care, please hurry up and make it!
ModCo - In the meantime here's a video of the prototype doing awesome
things you need. We might be willing to take pre-orders.
ModPeeps - Where do I send my money?!
ModCo - These've been some setbacks but we're working on the
FlimFlam 2. It'll be even better.
ModPeeps - WTF?!!?!! the FlimFlam 2!! FTW!!!! When, when?
ModCo - Soon, soon...
ModPeeps - Hey I heard a rumor about a FlimFlam 3!
ModPeeps - Really?.....................................

All I'm saying I wish people would stop foaming at the mouth at the latest promised design or legendary rare module that will do it all but has been out of production. Lend your support behind reliable established and emerging new companies and their existing product lines. Can't get a Milton? So what? Find some other way to sequence. Can't find a VCS anywhere? Do amazing shit with the modules you own or buy something else. Yeah, I like Plan B stuff, but I'm put off by Peter's personality and biz practices. I've never seen Harvestman, Flight, Bug Brand, Malekko, Make Noise, Doepfer (yeah Doepfer), STG, Livewire etc... flipping out on people on the forums. Really bad PR. I've been impressed with the way the above mentioned companies have handled their new product announcements and customer support. I don't wish any ill will towards Peter but I grew up in a family that ran our own business and I continue to be self employed. There's just a certain way of dealing with people and Plan B ain't it for me.
Kent
I agree! What he said x 1000 I agree!
jonkull
Soy Sos wrote:
I for one would like to see a break in this cycle:

ModCo - I'm thinking about making a FlimFlam module
ModPeeps - Ohhhh, please make a FlimFlam module! We neeeeed that!
ModCo - Um, in rethinking the FlimFlam module it's gonna be a while
ModPeeps - We don't care, please hurry up and make it!
ModCo - In the meantime here's a video of the prototype doing awesome
things you need. We might be willing to take pre-orders.
ModPeeps - How do I get my name on the list?!
ModCo - Your FlimFlam module is ready to ship send your money.
ModPeeps - It's been 45 days since you said it was ready to ship where is it?
ModCo - I haven't actually built it yet but...Soon, soon...
ModPeeps - Hey I heard a rumor about a FlimFlam 3!
ModPeeps - Really?.....................................


Fixed that for you.

My sarcasm aside, you do make valid points. I've pre-ordered things in the past and in some cases waited several months for delivery. I don't need it now. The issue I have is that in those cases the manufacturers were honest enough to say it's going to be a while, we've had delays, etc. Plan B didn't do that. We were sent emails saying that our modules were built and ready to ship and paid in good faith believing that we would get said modules only to get an email 45 days later saying that they hadn't even been built yet. Had Peter simply said it's going to be a while and not said they were ready to ship and taken people's money it would be a different story. I have no problem waiting for the latest and greatest...It comes down to communication and honesty on the manufacturer's part.
tragedybysyntax
It's the problem that plan b got huge quick, got overwhelmed... prolly snorted the money made thru a rolled up dollar bill and go create new designs without being able to stock up the original modules. What's the point? lol.
chinard
Soy Sos wrote:
All I'm saying I wish people would stop foaming at the mouth at the latest promised design


so when is your damn eel module coming out already?
Eel Power FTW! Eel Power FTW! Eel Power FTW! Eel Power FTW! Eel Power FTW! Eel Power FTW!
Soy Sos
Soon.....soon, along with the new top secret Perfect Sine module.
Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....
consumed
Eel Power FTW!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group