MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analogue System Modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Analogue System Modules?
panda30y
I've done some reading, and I can't find much information on people's opinions on Analogue System modules. I know they have a different power connection from the standard, which I imagine is what detracts some people from investing too heavily in them. But I'm just curious what do people think of their line of modules? I've heard some demos, and some of them sound fantastic (in their youtube greatness). Is the quality top notch?
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
I have 1 rack, their midi->cv converter (seems like the rolls royce of euro mount midi converters! eek!), freq->cv converter and the ems filter

Im bored by the EMS fitler though :(
but I dont think its their fault.

my only complaint is that they glue the PCB to the face, maybe they dont do that anymore but atleast one of my AS modules has this.
REwire
ASystem Modules I think are the tops in Eurorack. They are solid as a tank and pack a lot of features in each module. For instance, the RS-60 envelope has CV controlled decay and a repeat switch to turn it into an LFO as well as being incredibly snappy in only 12hp. I have 5 of them.

They make very cool effects modules too - the Comb Filter is one of coolest effects ever as well as the Chorus/Delay.

Their oscs I put as second best sounding after the Plan-B model 15. The filters though, I think of them as being pretty clean and unexciting. Save for the RS-360 Vocal/Phase filter, which is one of the only good filter banks along with the Cwejman Res-4, which I actually sold to get this one.

The Midi modules are very advanced too. In fact all their modules have some little twist to make them unique. The spacing of their screw holes makes them offset from Doepfer's by 1hp but I fix that by taking a saw dremel and carving a little more space in the screw holes to line them up. Others have cut the rails in the cases to move them a bit.

Dan
panda30y
Great to hear Dingleberry and REwire, and I hope to hear what more people think of them. If the filters are a little boring, the great thing about euro is the options.

The screw hole spacing just throws me off. But it's a quirky thing that can be worked around. If I don't modify the case, then it's just going to cause 1hp of blank spacing on either side?
Kent
It'll just be one 1hp unused per 3rU rack space; regardless of how many modules are in that space. This only applies if you put all of the ASys modules touching each other though.

I've got 3.5 modules of theirs: RS-290 delay (with RS-295 expander), the RS-100 & RS-501e Synthi Filter. The Synthi Filter comes into its own when the filter is being animated via CV. It's a touch boring when just sitting there.

I've got 17 Analogue Solutions modules, plus a Vostok. The vibe is entirely different and the men behind each operation are quite different in background and in their respective approach to their range of products. I'll save you from my personal list of those differences however.
Each product line offers some very unique things. I've got a bunch of drum & sequencing modules from ASol & then the very cool digital delay/sampler from ASys plus the Synthi Filter.

The ASys power connector is a bit of a PITA but it also serves a secondary function as a really great way to pierce your thumb. The pins are difficult to align with the sockets once your rack starts getting full. However, if you roll with something like the RS-15 power supply, you can use Doepfer style and ASys style connectors without hassle.
richard
I use their stuff a lot. Analogue Systems told me that they have a lot of connections with EMS in the people who work there, the thinking and the designs. I love the comb filter, and I think the multmode filter is not boring but very relaible and great for all the standard filter sounds. I've never had any question about their VCAs and Envelopes. According the maker the VCOs are VERY much inspired/copied from EMS too...

I think they throw away business by not making PSUs or busboards... I've destroyed modules because of that. £8 for as doepfer compatible cable is too much, they should be free to encourage people to try their stuff. but I have the feeling they sell enough to keep going and so dont really care

Analogue Systems stuff is quirky and a bit mad by comparison, good value and some of it very nice indeed

Richard
wetterberg
richard wrote:
I think they throw away business by not making PSUs or busboards... I've destroyed modules because of that. £8 for as doepfer compatible cable is too much, they should be free to encourage people to try their stuff. but I have the feeling they sell enough to keep going and so dont really care

I've gone on about this in the past, but that's the one thing I don't get about the "scene" - I constantly read about people holding back on module purchases due to "their case being full/nearly full" - and problems like this could totally be overcome by selling cheaper and bigger cases (quite easily done!) and then there'd be more of an incentive to splurge on the stuff that matters; modules.

Bigger PSUs are needed, many in the sdiy world are starting to turn to high-grade switching PSUs, which greatly reduce costs - no more toroidals and shit - smaller units, less weight, more oomph.

Cheaper rails are needed - preferably in the form of the "ringer" format; ready made, can be thrown into any 19" rack without much preplanning.

6U for 60 euros (that's including a PSU and a distribution board) can be done in the DIY realm with (a lot of) looking around for parts - surely the "industry", with Doepfer as the front runners can pull this off, making them more money in the end; since their case building is most likely outsourced to other companies in the first place.

So it's really a mentality shift that's needed, from a "well it's expensive with these cases, but we also have to turn a healthy profit with them, AND deck them out with too many connectors and three underpowered PSUs, which put together put out way too much power for the case"
- to a "we'll make a lot of money if people aren't holding back when they see the entry price of these things".

Ahem... sorry about the rant. Glad I got that out of my system.
e-grad
Got the RS260 Sampler/Delay and the RS360 Vocal/Phrase Filter Bank. Love them both!
panda30y
I completely agree with you wetterberg, no need to feel sorry.

The info is great, and maybe i'll invest a bit into their modules, but how awkward is it to fit both Asys modules in the same rack space as other eurorack format modules?
dkcg
panda30y wrote:

The info is great, and maybe i'll invest a bit into their modules, but how awkward is it to fit both Asys modules in the same rack space as other eurorack format modules?

There's a 1hp gap since the holes are aligned sightly different. I use a small round file and elongate the holes on the non ASys module to fit next to ASys modules. I don't file the ASys modules, thicker faceplates than the rest. A Hassle, but I get my 1hp back.

The power pins and the offset holes from everyone else are my only gripes with the modules. Nice solid workhorses with personality in my setup. Envelopes self retrigger and have a bipolar output, not as quick as some other euro modules, but a useful env gen for me.
Kent
panda30y wrote:

Didn't I just fully reply to that in my post?

Is it groundhog's day?

OMGWTFBBQ? MY ASS IS BLEEDING
panda30y
Kent wrote:
panda30y wrote:

Didn't I just fully reply to that in my post?

Is it groundhog's day?

OMGWTFBBQ? MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Sorry, I was just still a little confused as to how it fits in with other euro modules.
Kent
No problem. Just being a 'Forum Cop' and my lack of sleep makes me crotchety. You can rock them in the same rack as any other Euro-modules. Keep in mind that The Harvestman uses an 'odd' number (say '7') of HP for his digital products and an even number (say '8') for his analog units. But you'll always have one 'lost' or 'non-usable' HP if you mix ASys with anything else on the same row.

Take a look at some of my more recent forum posts (Euro rack rig pictures) for pictures of the gap between the ASys and other modules in my rig.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=47616#47616

Although our dear forum member Pixelmechanic doesn't seem as afflicted if you scroll up 2 photos to his.
panda30y
Ahh... thanks for the links to the pics Kent. I guess I just needed a visual example, but it was pretty much as you explained. I should've picked up on it, but I too have a lack of sleep, had to wake early to get my eye checked and I came back home with my eye's were completely dilated eek! and I felt a little woozy.
citizen mori
the rs35 is really special.
panda30y
citizen mori wrote:
the rs35 is really special.

That does look sweet! I've added it to my list of module i'm interested in along with the rs95, rs360, rs120, and perhaps the rs500e if I hear more good things about it (always had a soft spot for a vcs3). I've always tinkered with the idea of mic'ing my friends snare or kick and feeding it into a modular as a trigger. This looks like it might be able to do that.
Kent
Thanks for being a good sport about it, Panda30y. Sorry about the eyes, man!
pixelmechanic
My system started off with ASys basics (vco, vcf, env, vca etc) plus a few things like slew, gate delay etc and fills 6u, with other brands (Cwejman, Doepfer, PlanB, Bananalogue etc) adding tonal flavour and sequencing / switching / comparison functions along the way and filling another 6u(+)

I find the stuff to be well made, feels and sounds quality and Bob Williams has always been really helpful when I've spoken to him. They do take a little more space, but I like being able to get my fingers in to the pots a bit more easily.

I love the pulse waves on RS95, they go super thin (to nothing in fact!) but wouldn't mind a dedicated fine tune control. The VCAs are clean and useful for shaping / attenuating control rate as well as audio rate stuff, and as others have commented the envelopes are really snappy.

I stopped using the RS110 MM Filter for a while in favour of my Cwejman MMF, but recently I've been using it again when I want something a bit more woolly! (That's actually a comment!)

As I'm in the UK it's easy for me to get stuff (although the last thing I asked for was out of stock!) and I've got an empty RS10 case just waiting to be filled with some of the EMS mods, RS100 Ladder Filter and some more basics when I've got some spare cash.

I've cut the rails in the bottom part of my RS15 into 'useful' chunks (24,18,12hp etc) so that I can slot other mfctrs in without widening holes, but one thing to watch out for is that sometimes doepfer cables are too short to reach the doepfer sockets, but it's easy to make your own longer ones up.

J
ndkent
I can definitely second the too short Doepfer cables and Analogue Systems cases (and Analogue Solutions cases too). You know what good is a Doepfer socket when you don't even come close to reaching it.

Anyone have good luck with buying some ribbon cable and connectors? Know any part #s for U.S. parts suppliers?

I've been keeping my ASys modules on their own rows (2 right now). With the row empty just about any case's rail with screw holes can be slid to be in the right spot. I used to have a partial row with a gap and it did annoy me visually to enough of a degree that I bought more modules. Oh and for what it's worth Cwejman use Doepfer sockets (sometimes weirdly oriented and short ribbons). They have wider screw holes the way some people widen theirs, only neater ;-)
NV
The ASys power orientation is a little awkward and in my opinion a somewhat questionable marketing decision, as well as the off-aligned faceplates, but both issues can be resolved with minimal DIY work.

A simple file or drill can fix the faceplates very easily and professionally, as you only need to drill less than a millimeter of metal out which is quite easy to do.

The power cable issue can also be resolved by building an ASys-dedicated busboard, then arranging your ASys modules to reach the board. Conversely you could also build up some of your own adapter cables for about a dollar each and circumvent the phenomenally ridiculous ASys cable prices. Busboards are a very simple DIY project, as well as widening the faceplate holes, so you could arrange and fit an entire ASys/Euro hybrid system easily and professionally in one evening.
panda30y
Kent wrote:
Thanks for being a good sport about it, Panda30y. Sorry about the eyes, man!

I've been trolling the forum long enough to understand people shouldn't be taken too seriously more often than not.

But that power cord issue doesn't seem too bad, just a minor inconvenience. I don't mind making my own ribbon cables, just the issue of sourcing the connections from mouser or somewhere.
hogberto
another SlayerBadger! for ASys modules here.

i'm about 75% of the way to filling a RS8500 with ASys modules (plus an RS10 housing an RS200 step sequencer and other bits'n'bobs).

ASys and their customers don't create much of a fuss, really. No drama on the forums. Bob just keeps producing good quality, nice sounding modules and a pretty interesting range of them too. i'll hopefully be adding them for many years to come.

anybody tried out the polyphonic one, the RS370, yet?
Aesoteric
Another +1 for ASys...

I've only got a few, RS110, RS95E, and RS60, but they are solid, well made, and sound great.

No fuss. Guinness ftw!
mono-poly
I got the scale programmer it is fantastic!
citizen mori
panda30y wrote:
perhaps the rs500e if I hear more good things about it (always had a soft spot for a vcs3)

to my ear, the secret to having an 'interesting' rs500e is ensuring you're driving it's inputs a bit (or a lot!)... rs500e is a proper courtier- it will advertise itself as a timid and kind sort, full of nice and simple answers to anything you tell it. however, show it some rude etiquette, scream in it's face... you'll hear something interesting in return. ^_~
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2