Metasonix 4U Panel or Suitcase from HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Etched Metal, Circuit-Bending & Designs of Luigi LaValle

Moderator: Kent

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Metasonix 4U Panel or Suitcase from HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Post by tragedybysyntax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:32 am

So... just thought I would start this thread to document my proposed project that I"m starting in a week or so.

I picked up a TM-1 and a TM-3 (so fucking happy to finally have these in my studio soon, been years of oogling) and since I'm mostly a studio cat... seriously considering converting these two into a bigger project.

I really like the idea of putting the two behind a 4U panel, etching some gross graphics into a slab of aluminum... adding a few other circuits (polivoks filter..... resonator...mankato...etc) and bam, evil son of a bitch 4U panel from hades.

Also like the idea of just making it a standalone unit inside a vintage suitcase.. and just patching it up to the modular... Just curious before I get designing of some ideas or thoughts on the projects. Really curious what you guys think it would need as a panel/stand alone to be a complete voice. Thanks! I"ll post pics the second I get the boxes in the mail and any designs I start coming up with the layout. Peace! :twisted:
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:17 pm

TM2 or TM6

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:21 pm

and maybe something more exotic to feed into ringmod carrier, although with tm3 going in it's already going to have quite a lot to chew on

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:25 pm

you gonna go yellow with it? cant wait to see what you come up with!!!
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

askthedust
Wiggling with Experience

Post by askthedust » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:12 pm

You need a TM-2 or TM-6. Wretch on a budget!

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Hmmmm..... I guess I need to see how monstrous the pcb's are but, worse case scenario... I mount them somewhere else and just have the panel be like a remote. TM-2 or 6 eh?

I plan on running my ribbon controller into it for cv but, I've also got a crazy cv source module I'm designing that will be feeding into it as well. I'm not against having a non tube filter in-line with this. A purist I'm certainly not ;)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:47 pm

i wouldn't remove them from their cases, i think they have been designed as perfectly as possible already, just mount them next to each other.

i don't like non tube filters with tube oscs and waveshapers but some of them are ok

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:19 pm

Oh they're getting gutted from the cases... no doubt. I need banana jacks and a badass etched panel with blowtorched yellow patina and black graphics of vaginas on fire :)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:32 pm

You should be able to mount them exactly how you did your Phantastron. The PCB will fit vertically in 4u and it is only a couple of inches wide.

I like the Buchla 291 with added LP and HP.

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:53 pm

oh that's awesome news!!!!!! Buchla 291 eh? I'll have to find a board for that. Could be a really cool panel. thanks dude!
:)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:52 pm

tragedybysyntax wrote:oh that's awesome news!!!!!! Buchla 291 eh? I'll have to find a board for that. Could be a really cool panel. thanks dude!
:)
There will probably be a PCB for the filter fairly soon. It's my only solid-state filter.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:54 pm

thermionicjunky wrote:
There will probably be a PCB for the filter fairly soon.
Tell us more! :hmm:

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
thermionicjunky wrote:
+1

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:36 pm

rico loverde wrote:
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
thermionicjunky wrote:
+1
Ha, it's merely speculation based on clues in other PCB threads. It's a popular filter with verified mods and layouts.

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:32 am

I am interested in this since i'm going to start a 4u boat of just 4 different buchla clones and I've already got a pcb for a quad lpg.... HOWEVER, we're talking tubes. I'm kind of leaning on trying to find a metasonix filter to put in this boat. I'm sure I can fit 2 metasonix (tm-1/tm-3) in a 4U x 19" rack.. but I'm going to have extra space I'm almost certain. Just need to keep an open eye out :twisted:
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:09 pm

tragedybysyntax wrote:I am interested in this since i'm going to start a 4u boat of just 4 different buchla clones and I've already got a pcb for a quad lpg.... HOWEVER, we're talking tubes. I'm kind of leaning on trying to find a metasonix filter to put in this boat. I'm sure I can fit 2 metasonix (tm-1/tm-3) in a 4U x 19" rack.. but I'm going to have extra space I'm almost certain. Just need to keep an open eye out :twisted:
Both of the TM filters are good. The TM-6 is more flexible but the TM-2 can be modified to add some of its functionality (the 6 was based on a modified 2.) It may be easier to find R-series filters, though you would need high-output bipolar supplies. The circuit boards are also quite different. A modified TM-2 would be a flexible filter with an output VCA for the panel. Used TM-2s are the hardest to sell, so you could get a pretty good deal.

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Well then... a TM-2 I shall be hunting for soon! Looks like I need to start designing my 4U panel this weekend coming up.... I'm kind of excited about using profane graphics for this build. I just sent David Lovelace an email to get some graffix to get started with. :)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:15 pm

David is onboard for this and is looking for graphics for me to use. Now I just need an obscene name for the 4u metasonix boat ;)

*edit, going to pay him for about 3 hours illustration time to design this panel with me... look out everyone ;)
Last edited by tragedybysyntax on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:06 pm

something just hit me.....
I wonder besides these 3 pedals I plan on using, what OTHER r modules I could take apart and stuff in with this 4u boat. HMMMMMMM :twisted:

I really like the idea of individual theamed 4u panels... dunno why, but I'm planning a disected harvestman 4u as well that will be all banana.
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 pm

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:18 am

If you don't mind, I'd like to move this topic to Luigi's subforum.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:40 am

metasonix wrote:If you don't mind, I'd like to move this topic to Luigi's subforum.
Since he is talking about taking designs from 4 manufacturers he doesn't work for and rehousing them, renaming them, remodifying them,
I think it it is a great idea.

I'm not saying to give up the project, I'm just saying that there is a forum dedicated to the circuit bending, graphic design, and DIY adventures of TragedyBySyntax
talk about it there.

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:26 am

sounds good, sorry guys :)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm

They leave from France monday and head across the pond to be punished.

SO PUMPED. I've been wanting just these very 2 pedal's since before even getting into modular stuff. 4.....5 years? I've since had one of the first wretch machines, and then a R-51. But this is almost a nostalgic moment for me, finding the original metasonix I've been after and recently falling hard in love with the phantastron circuit from Lorin Parker. I guess now i've fallen back in love with the idea of organic sounds that breathe and live... never do the same thing type twice scenario. Love it.... :twisted:

I've got my 2nd phantastron on the way, and really can't wait till that moment when I fire them up in sync with the TM-3 into the TM-1.... Might just poop myself. We'll have to see.......

Once i get ahold of these next week and can start measuring... I'll post up a mockup of possible mounting scenarios and how to arrange the 4u panel. I'm really leaning towards that TM-2 filter to be next on the radar.

Can anybody give me some suggestions on good complements to the tm-1/tm-3(possible tm-2) trifecta of doom as a full panel? ..Maybe i'll atleast add some attenuators to the i/o of this beast. :hmm:

It's probably best that I post a photo of what this panel will be surrounded by... i'll work on that part until I get any ideas from you all. :)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

dubstephead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dubstephead » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:49 am

First off. AMAZING work! I was just looking at your site and those are some of the dopest panels I've seen.

Second, did this ever get finished? I have a TM-1 and TM-2 and was thinking of a way to make them 4u euro for my travel setup;) If your interested in work, let me know!

Return to “Epinasty”