MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metasonix 4U Panel or Suitcase from HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Epinasty Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Metasonix 4U Panel or Suitcase from HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL
tragedybysyntax
So... just thought I would start this thread to document my proposed project that I"m starting in a week or so.

I picked up a TM-1 and a TM-3 (so fucking happy to finally have these in my studio soon, been years of oogling) and since I'm mostly a studio cat... seriously considering converting these two into a bigger project.

I really like the idea of putting the two behind a 4U panel, etching some gross graphics into a slab of aluminum... adding a few other circuits (polivoks filter..... resonator...mankato...etc) and bam, evil son of a bitch 4U panel from hades.

Also like the idea of just making it a standalone unit inside a vintage suitcase.. and just patching it up to the modular... Just curious before I get designing of some ideas or thoughts on the projects. Really curious what you guys think it would need as a panel/stand alone to be a complete voice. Thanks! I"ll post pics the second I get the boxes in the mail and any designs I start coming up with the layout. Peace! twisted
slow_riot
TM2 or TM6
slow_riot
and maybe something more exotic to feed into ringmod carrier, although with tm3 going in it's already going to have quite a lot to chew on
rico loverde
you gonna go yellow with it? cant wait to see what you come up with!!!
askthedust
You need a TM-2 or TM-6. Wretch on a budget!
tragedybysyntax
Hmmmm..... I guess I need to see how monstrous the pcb's are but, worse case scenario... I mount them somewhere else and just have the panel be like a remote. TM-2 or 6 eh?

I plan on running my ribbon controller into it for cv but, I've also got a crazy cv source module I'm designing that will be feeding into it as well. I'm not against having a non tube filter in-line with this. A purist I'm certainly not wink
slow_riot
i wouldn't remove them from their cases, i think they have been designed as perfectly as possible already, just mount them next to each other.

i don't like non tube filters with tube oscs and waveshapers but some of them are ok
tragedybysyntax
Oh they're getting gutted from the cases... no doubt. I need banana jacks and a badass etched panel with blowtorched yellow patina and black graphics of vaginas on fire smile
thermionicjunky
You should be able to mount them exactly how you did your Phantastron. The PCB will fit vertically in 4u and it is only a couple of inches wide.

I like the Buchla 291 with added LP and HP.
tragedybysyntax
oh that's awesome news!!!!!! Buchla 291 eh? I'll have to find a board for that. Could be a really cool panel. thanks dude!
smile
thermionicjunky
tragedybysyntax wrote:
oh that's awesome news!!!!!! Buchla 291 eh? I'll have to find a board for that. Could be a really cool panel. thanks dude!
smile

There will probably be a PCB for the filter fairly soon. It's my only solid-state filter.
Rod Serling Fan Club
thermionicjunky wrote:

There will probably be a PCB for the filter fairly soon.

Tell us more! hmmm.....
rico loverde
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
thermionicjunky wrote:

Tell us more! hmmm.....
+1
thermionicjunky
rico loverde wrote:
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
thermionicjunky wrote:

Tell us more! hmmm.....
+1

Ha, it's merely speculation based on clues in other PCB threads. It's a popular filter with verified mods and layouts.
tragedybysyntax
I am interested in this since i'm going to start a 4u boat of just 4 different buchla clones and I've already got a pcb for a quad lpg.... HOWEVER, we're talking tubes. I'm kind of leaning on trying to find a metasonix filter to put in this boat. I'm sure I can fit 2 metasonix (tm-1/tm-3) in a 4U x 19" rack.. but I'm going to have extra space I'm almost certain. Just need to keep an open eye out twisted
thermionicjunky
tragedybysyntax wrote:
I am interested in this since i'm going to start a 4u boat of just 4 different buchla clones and I've already got a pcb for a quad lpg.... HOWEVER, we're talking tubes. I'm kind of leaning on trying to find a metasonix filter to put in this boat. I'm sure I can fit 2 metasonix (tm-1/tm-3) in a 4U x 19" rack.. but I'm going to have extra space I'm almost certain. Just need to keep an open eye out twisted

Both of the TM filters are good. The TM-6 is more flexible but the TM-2 can be modified to add some of its functionality (the 6 was based on a modified 2.) It may be easier to find R-series filters, though you would need high-output bipolar supplies. The circuit boards are also quite different. A modified TM-2 would be a flexible filter with an output VCA for the panel. Used TM-2s are the hardest to sell, so you could get a pretty good deal.
tragedybysyntax
Well then... a TM-2 I shall be hunting for soon! Looks like I need to start designing my 4U panel this weekend coming up.... I'm kind of excited about using profane graphics for this build. I just sent David Lovelace an email to get some graffix to get started with. smile
tragedybysyntax
David is onboard for this and is looking for graphics for me to use. Now I just need an obscene name for the 4u metasonix boat wink

*edit, going to pay him for about 3 hours illustration time to design this panel with me... look out everyone wink
tragedybysyntax
something just hit me.....
I wonder besides these 3 pedals I plan on using, what OTHER r modules I could take apart and stuff in with this 4u boat. HMMMMMMM twisted

I really like the idea of individual theamed 4u panels... dunno why, but I'm planning a disected harvestman 4u as well that will be all banana.
rico loverde
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40758
metasonix
If you don't mind, I'd like to move this topic to Luigi's subforum.
zerosum
metasonix wrote:
If you don't mind, I'd like to move this topic to Luigi's subforum.

Since he is talking about taking designs from 4 manufacturers he doesn't work for and rehousing them, renaming them, remodifying them,
I think it it is a great idea.

I'm not saying to give up the project, I'm just saying that there is a forum dedicated to the circuit bending, graphic design, and DIY adventures of TragedyBySyntax
talk about it there.
tragedybysyntax
sounds good, sorry guys smile
tragedybysyntax
They leave from France monday and head across the pond to be punished.

SO PUMPED. I've been wanting just these very 2 pedal's since before even getting into modular stuff. 4.....5 years? I've since had one of the first wretch machines, and then a R-51. But this is almost a nostalgic moment for me, finding the original metasonix I've been after and recently falling hard in love with the phantastron circuit from Lorin Parker. I guess now i've fallen back in love with the idea of organic sounds that breathe and live... never do the same thing type twice scenario. Love it.... twisted

I've got my 2nd phantastron on the way, and really can't wait till that moment when I fire them up in sync with the TM-3 into the TM-1.... Might just poop myself. We'll have to see.......

Once i get ahold of these next week and can start measuring... I'll post up a mockup of possible mounting scenarios and how to arrange the 4u panel. I'm really leaning towards that TM-2 filter to be next on the radar.

Can anybody give me some suggestions on good complements to the tm-1/tm-3(possible tm-2) trifecta of doom as a full panel? ..Maybe i'll atleast add some attenuators to the i/o of this beast. hmmm.....

It's probably best that I post a photo of what this panel will be surrounded by... i'll work on that part until I get any ideas from you all. smile
dubstephead
First off. AMAZING work! I was just looking at your site and those are some of the dopest panels I've seen.

Second, did this ever get finished? I have a TM-1 and TM-2 and was thinking of a way to make them 4u euro for my travel setup;) If your interested in work, let me know!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Epinasty Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2