MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recipes for Analog's Greatest Classic Tracks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Recipes for Analog's Greatest Classic Tracks
bar|none
This would be a great book. Try to recreate some of the classic tracks from the past.

The creator of the Spectralis was messing around and recreated White Eagle from Tangerine Dream on the Spectralis.

http://www.joergschaaf.de/White_Eagle.mp3

And he posted the recipe here. I was thinking it'd be cool to try and recreate the main arpeggiated sound on my new modular. We'll see how it goes.

http://www.spectralis.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1420
Ranxerox
A book about how they (agree on what 'they' are?) were first done would be cool. That's why the Classic Tracks articles in Sound On Sound are a good read (they'll probably be compiled into a book one day).

But recreating them on modern equipment? Why? I get little enough time to work on my own tracks!! confused
Kent
Seems like a good learning exercise and possibly a shitload of fun, honestly.
bar|none
For me it's about learning at this point. Trying to create the classic sounds and patches first before I get lost in the more abstract stuff.

For me The Who's "Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland)" was the track where I was mesmerized by the analog synth sound. I remember trying to recreate that pattern and it's not that easy.
Ranxerox
I still fail to see why you couldn't learn as much, if not more, by attempting something original. It may be a challenge, but at least you wouldn't risk a descent in to mimicry and nostalgia.

Youtube's already full of guys with $$$$ of gear doing 'covers'. But what the hell, each to their own eh!
bar|none
[edited] no need to waste people's time with this attachment.
Kent
Ranxerox wrote:
I still fail to see why you couldn't learn as much, if not more, by attempting something original. It may be a challenge, but at least you wouldn't risk a descent in to mimicry and nostalgia.

Youtube's already full of guys with $$$$ of gear doing 'covers'. But what the hell, each to their own eh!

1) Couldn't one learn equally as much about other things are different?
2) Why would learning how a respected peer or idol does something lead one to mimicry? Harvestman's Hertz Donut is Buchla inspired. Every good rock band knows at least one cover song. I'm always trying to replicate cool shit that others on this forum post. I remember D/A A/D posting some M15 FM stuff that I tried to replicate so that I could learn more about the module.
3) In music, if it is fun, do it!

Still love ya though Dinner at the Y
Chuck E. Jesus
bar|none wrote:
For me it's about learning at this point. Trying to create the classic sounds and patches first before I get lost in the more abstract stuff.

For me The Who's "Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland)" was the track where I was mesmerized by the analog synth sound. I remember trying to recreate that pattern and it's not that easy.

there's some youtubery about that, google it up...he used an ARP2500 to gate an organ, sounds like they multi-tracked a few different note divisions to get that 16th over the 8th note sound...
bar|none
I found a nice link on the equipment Pete used on Baba O'Riley. Pretty cool and inspiring. And he was a killer guitarist. Geesh. This might not be news to you guys. but I didn't know the backstory on how this came about.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/guitar/equip-arp.html

Also a pretty convincing performance with just a keyboard on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVlMTCG-BI&feature=PlayList&p=5309E1D1 B8F4992D&index=0
Kent
Damn, that kid's piano rendition was mighty impressive. I was surprised that he sang it as well.
bar|none
Ok, Here's Baba O'Riley. I'm really proud of the synth part, since I've only done a few patches so far on my modular.

This is just a sample, I'm adding bass, guitar and vocals next. This was all done in the space of a couple of hours and I had a total blast.

Everything was arranged and sequenced with SevenUpLive on the monome including the drums.

http://virb.com/barnone

Play the Baba O'Riley track.
Kent
Kewl! How did you get it to go 'all squirrelly' during the synth parts? It sounds like a chaos generator of some sort.
bar|none
Thanks Kent.

Well I learned a few things doing this. First of all, the whole "squirrelly" part. That is caused by having the sequencer playing the base sequence the entire clip, then you play a couple of notes over that that are between the other notes. It causes an interference pattern with the note priority on the mono-line. So, it was Pete using the limitations of the gear to his advantage. You go back and use similar gear to the original, and you learn the secret.

Since SevenUpLive you have patterns that you can trigger at any moment, you can change the interference pattern just by slight changes in timing of the pattern you are triggering over the top.

I went back and listened to it and the sound qual on Virb is absolute shit. Anyone know how to prevent both Virb and Soundcloud from absolutely destroying the audio qual when you import. It's really bad. I already tried burning .mp3s as 128kbps which is supposedly what they convert to, but they must still reconvert that, so you get compressed twice. Arrrrg!

If you have time, download the original and listen to the difference.
bar|none
Oh yeah, the patch is
2 OSCs from VCO-2RM one sine and one saw
2 ADSRs from ADSR-VC2 one medium attack/decay, one long attack /decay Medium attack decay controls VCAs on 2 channels of QMMG - OSCs patched in.
Long Attack controls Low Pass on Sine and High Pass on Saw on the remaining 2 QMMG channels.
Vulcan Modulator controls the LP and HP on the QMMG with 2 freerunning longish LFOs

So the QMMG provides all the VCAs and Filters for the patch. I love this module.
bar|none
Much improved version posted here

http://virb.com/barnone

Baba ORiley v9
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1