MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A successfuk DIY project!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author A successfuk DIY project!
PhineasFreak
The first stage of my video set up has been built and tested successfully!

Behold the wondr of 8 video outs:

Next step to replace the hotswap bays with scan converters and connect an internal power rail for them...

Then I'm ready for the modular! Yay!
Joe.
PhineasFreak wrote:
Behold the wondr of 8 video outs

You now have a computer as powerfull as gabriels!

snufkin
yes are you putting together a video wall controller ?
lizlarsen
I think he's gearing up for a big video modular system with tons of external video inputs!! This is very exciting. screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
Veqtor
Sending lots of signals to his video modular? That sounds interesting...
RealDudes
Git R Done
sorry
:deadbanana:
daverj
I don't know what's available, but IF you can find scan converters that put out standard definition video AND have a reference or genlock input, then you can save a ton of money on TBCs when feeding a bunch of computer video into a video modular.
lizlarsen
I have an Extron scan converter that works exactly that way -- VGA input, genlock input, and outputs in YCrCb, RGsB, CVBS, and Y/C. It works great going straight into my Color Video Interface prototype with the YCrCb for simultaneous YUV & RGB outputs. I got it for $90 on eBay which was a steal! It may be hard to get similar devices with this featureset for this price.

If you're planning to go in via the Color Video Decoder & Frame Synchronizer module(s), then genlock'ing/TBCs aren't necessary -- just the scan converters/scalers with composite or Y/C output.

I'm assuming LZX system use-cases here, but of course things could work differently with other alternatives (these are the two methods to get color video into an LZX system using the modules I have planned.)
daverj
In my system there will be "Input Amp" modules, which are low cost modules to feed video in that is already in sync with the system. They will be considerably cheaper than the TBC/Frame Synchronizer module which is for feeding in video that is not externally locked to the system's sync.

I assumed that your Video Decoder module would also be cheaper than a TBC/Frame Synchronizer, and handle signals that are externally locked to the system.
lizlarsen
Quote:
I assumed that your Video Decoder module would also be cheaper than a TBC/Frame Synchronizer, and handle signals that are externally locked to the system.

That's right. My "Color Video Interface" (which may be renamed to "Triple Video Input") is similar to your input amp in that it does not do any time base correction and is lower cost than a TBC module. Since my system relies on the RGB/triple colorspace workflow, it can be used either for 3 monochrome feeds, or for a single set of RGB or Component inputs. In the Component input case it also has a Component to RGB converter. It also has 3 composite sync outputs for sync'ing external genlock devices. So this module can be used for externally sync'ed devices OR if you plan on sending sync out of this device to the Video Sync Generator module.

For color decoding (Composite video to RGB) and timebase correction, my "Color Video Decoder & Frame Synchronizer" module performs these features. It can be used both for externally synchronized or non-synchronous sources.
PhineasFreak
creatorlars wrote:
If you're planning to go in via the Color Video Decoder & Frame Synchronizer module(s), then genlock'ing/TBCs aren't necessary -- just the scan converters/scalers with composite or Y/C output.

I am indeed currently planning just a vj rig that supplies multiple video feeds and sequenced stills all to be combined, processed and modulated via a modular system.

The 8 outputs are to provide upto 3 inputs each to 2 modular output routes - the three feeds each offering the option of complex keyed/mixed/etc. video and still matte/mask/strobed stuff. The other two outputs to be for monitoring and midi controlling etc.

Although I'm initially only gonna setup the system with cheap scan converters just to turn the dvi/vga outs to composite for the LZX modules, I may involve othe options like genlocked live cameras and component sources etc. further down the road.

I first plan just one modular route using up to 3 input sources feeding one output, but the computer gear is so cheap these days it made sense to build the expansion capacity in from the start.

I have already started keeping my eye on options to genlock the computer with other components of the rig, but it's not a priority for my uses right now.

In theory, the computer will share a rackmount flight case along with the kenton pro-2000 I use for midi to cv and some other gear - when combined with video modular gear in a suitcase the whole lot should fit in the boot of my car quite easily and hence be as portable as any rig I've ever used previously.

I am currently dithering over which audio/utility modules to keep for use with the video gear - I have some fancy pants modulators like a vulcan that never get used much - but whther I'll take more advanatge of em with this new gear I don't know - one vulcan could buy a few mults, slews, comparators and S&H modules...
barto
this cheap converter allows me to take my computers vga signal and output a stable composite, s-video, and vga:

http://www.amazon.com/PC-To-TV-Video-Converter/dp/B001CJOLBW/ref=sr_1_ 5?ie=UTF8&qid=1313205574&sr=8-5

only $17
PhineasFreak
Those are the exact things I"m using as a cheap solution to turn computer out to modular in - I'm running a mobo usb connection to a 10 socket powered usb hub as a psu and then buildidng the load of scan converters into the hotswap bays in the rackmount pc case!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1