Bugs cry out

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Bugs cry out

Post by BananaPlug » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:12 pm

Here's an excerpt from last night's explorations.
Straight from the box to the recorder.
About 3MB of MP3
Blue Wail

Not 100% BugBrand
but has a blue heart.

radams
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by radams » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Nice selection of textures - your right about the wailing !!! Good dynamics and spacing :guinness:

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:33 am

Yeah, beautiful sparse textures and very organic gestures. Reminds me of some old classic electronic music. Don't know which, though.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:57 am

Nice, especially the scifi whales
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:11 am

Was that modcan CV recorder involved in making this? I'm sort of interested in how it is to work with, in a bugbrand environment.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:53 am

otoskope wrote:Was that modcan CV recorder involved in making this? I'm sort of interested in how it is to work with, in a bugbrand environment.
It's not really any different than in a Modcan environment. In this case I'm looping audio with it. At the beginning you can easily pick out the repeats, some playing around with end points and backwards playback. After the screaming part the stuff that sounds like tape manipulation is the CVR, very slow, then fast.

The 4 CVR tracks and processing fill a lot of the space. There's just two voices. FM'd oscillator pair to Tom's LPG & delay and the screamy thing. A little submix of mostly CVR tracks goes through a frequency shifter to a Blacet Time machine's modulated-delay/lopass effect. Another submix feeds Doepfer reverb. Tom's stereo output module puts those together with dry signals and out it goes. Can anybody guess the three modules in the screamy thing? Two are BugBrand.

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:53 pm

this is infriggincredible. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I so want a bugbrand rack...... jesus.
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:35 am

BananaPlug wrote:It's not really any different than in a Modcan environment. ...
...Can anybody guess the three modules in the screamy thing? Two are BugBrand.

Cool!

For the Modcan - does it not matter that Modcans have a voltage spec of 5v p-to-p compared with bug 10v p-to-p? Good work Bruce if the CV Recorder is happy with both!

Guess - well, I think there's some touch going on (CTL1 or 2) - fluid control and I heard some slight vibrato/wobble
I thought it had a slightly grainy nature so was thinking PRC2 BugCrusher, but don't think you have one in the setup..
One part made me think SYN1 Weevil

So, that's my guesses - SYN1 and CTL1/2 - no clue what the third could be..

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:04 am

BugBrand wrote:For the Modcan - does it not matter that Modcans have a voltage spec of 5v p-to-p compared with bug 10v p-to-p? Good work Bruce if the CV Recorder is happy with both!
Good point! Actually its range is from -5 to +5. I'm so used to mixing different gear that I just think of voltage spans as yet another module characteristic. In practice, given that most CV inputs are adjustable and full scale modulation is not used much, an attenuator upstream of the CVR is usually enough.
BugBrand wrote:Guess - well, I think there's some touch going on (CTL1 or 2) - fluid control and I heard some slight vibrato/wobble
I thought it had a slightly grainy nature so was thinking PRC2 BugCrusher, but don't think you have one in the setup..
One part made me think SYN1 Weevil
So, that's my guesses - SYN1 and CTL1/2 - no clue what the third could be..
Nope. The wobbly fluid control is a Walking Stick ribbon controller (plus comparator & track and hold). The three main modules are the blue E350 (It's blue so I counted it as BugBrand), PRC5 Wavefolder, A124 Wasp filter. The wavefolder and wasp together are really complex and wonderfully prone to going berserk. About the only thing I like about the wasp is that it does very strange things when resonance and signal level pass some threshold. The Wavefolder brings that out nicely as the folding increases. What seems like a touch response is probably the effect of having the VCA upstream of the folder/wasp combo and using rather a lot of reverb. Transients from the sharp attack and possibly the response time of the track and hold get distorted and hang in the reverb long enough for you to notice them. My CTL-2 was doing other things but really ought to be repatched to control folds and Fc.

hellohihowareyou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hellohihowareyou » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:27 am

Those sounds are ace, man.

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Nice one, BananaPlug :tu:
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:10 am

very enjoyable, I like how you get a lot out of just a few modules.

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:33 am

Really great BananaPlug :tu:
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

Return to “BugBrand Devices”