MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

power supply for schroff rack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author power supply for schroff rack
elemental
fellow synth geeks,

I turn to you for help with finding a good power supply for my yet-to-be-built schroff rack. I have read a few other forums and got some tips and searched eBay a bit, but quickly got confused. I'd rather not get the Doepfer wall-wart solution. My electronics knowledge is not up to speed with power supply malarkeys, apart from knowing that I need +/-12v, 5v, and 0v.

I know this has been asked before but any help would much appreciated.

Thanks peeps.
consumed
do you have any modules that require 5v in your system?
elemental
consumed wrote:

I'm not sure which ones do need 5v. I know that some digital modules do. However, the schroff will be an extra sub-section of my current 12u system. So I could easily make sure it only houses those modules that dont.
Does it make a big difference in sourcing a power supply?]

thanks
fonik
i recommend power one PSUs. you might hear them hum (not in the systems signal paths!), but that is part of the deal wink
however, they are sturdy, and i would say unbreakable. they are even used in aviation. once i bought a 20 years old PSU from a guy in canada. it still works without any problems.
you will find some good offers at ebay, i bet.
consumed
i dont require 5v in my euro system. ive been very happy with:

power-one HAA15-0.8-A

i picked up four surplus units for about $9 each off ebay.
a couple of them required some nasty desoldering work on the output terms (i HATE flux fumes :barf: )

anyway they are reasonably small and provide 1000mA on both +12v and -12v.
im using one to power 4 euro racks (no BBD or digital modules in the rack though).
fonik
you are so fast! eek!

i use currently 3 HAA15-0.8-A.

it is similiar to a mannesmann unit which i have the datasheet from. a little bit more information than power one delivers:
http://www.modular.fonik.de/pdf/HAA15.pdf
consumed
elemental wrote:
consumed wrote:

I'm not sure which ones do need 5v. I know that some digital modules do. However, the schroff will be an extra sub-section of my current 12u system. So I could easily make sure it only houses those modules that dont.
Does it make a big difference in sourcing a power supply?]

thanks

i know the doepfer midi-cv unit requires 5v. i dont know of any other?

'triple' supplies (that output two +voltages and a -voltage, like +5v, +12v, -12v) are more expensive and require five connections from the PSU instead of three.
consumed
fonik wrote:
you are so fast! eek!

we are communicating in parallel
elemental
thats great, thanks - I will start looking on the bay!!
HAA15-0.8-A it is thumbs up
fonik
elemental wrote:
thats great, thanks - I will start looking on the bay!!
HAA15-0.8-A it is thumbs up

in any case yo could stop by in the DIY section and ask for help if you come to the wiring of the PSU. you are working with mains and you should know what you do. current kills (not necessary, but it can).
elemental
so, what do you guys think of this?

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/psupro.htm

I emailed Tom at ASol about delivery cost etc, and he said:

Quote:
PSU is 79

Delivetry 12

+VAT

TOTAL 104.65GBP

Only to be fitted by an electronics Pro.

PSU comes fully tested, but I won’t cover guarantee for improper use by bad wiring, mounting etc.

What do you guys think? I was thinking it might be better and less hassle than going the more DIY route, and it seems more solid than the Doepfer offerings. I have 2 ASol cases and their power supplies seem pretty good.

Anyway, I found one of those Power One supplies on eBay for like $17. smile
doobedy
There is really very little DIY if you know how to solder.

The directions here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1200&highlight=haa15

are excellent.

I just finished DIYing a euro case and stuffed it all into:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/44361109

$5 worth of wood to make rails and mount Doepfer busboards, and without rack ears I managed to squeeze another 12hp of modules into each row.

No need to do that necessarily, but don't let the PSU scare you. It's already built. You just need to wire things up. And not die.
Waz
elemental wrote:
fellow synth geeks,

I turn to you for help with finding a good power supply for my yet-to-be-built schroff rack. I have read a few other forums and got some tips and searched eBay a bit, but quickly got confused. I'd rather not get the Doepfer wall-wart solution. My electronics knowledge is not up to speed with power supply malarkeys, apart from knowing that I need +/-12v, 5v, and 0v.

I know this has been asked before but any help would much appreciated.

Thanks peeps.

I bought the Doepfer DIY #1 kit And a 3 amp wallwart from a model train company. I believe if you order the diy1 from technopolis in Montreal Canada, He ships them without the crappy wallwart that comes with the kit. He sells them at a lower rate, but you have to find the wallwart.

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_ps_ps315.php

this is the one I got.

I am currently waiting for my case to ship from Elby, so my synth is on hold for a couple weeks waah
Suburban Bather
Waz wrote:

I bought the Doepfer DIY #1 kit And a 3 amp wallwart from a model train company. I believe if you order the diy1 from technopolis in Montreal Canada, He ships them without the crappy wallwart that comes with the kit. He sells them at a lower rate, but you have to find the wallwart.

Analog Heaven just got more DIY #1 kits in. Yes! they switched the old wallwarts out with a properly rated one. Just ordered mine, but they are still waiting for the new wallwarts to come in.
mono-poly
Almost all my modulars are powered with power-one psu's.
I got them all from ebay and they are the best i think!
jonkull
mono-poly wrote:

I picked one of those up a couple weeks ago and will be wiring it this weekend. Hopefully I won't electrocute myself in the process. I'm planning on using it with my 6U and taking the Doepfer PSU out of that and installing it in my 3U. All I need is a bus board.
Suburban Bather
jonkull wrote:
mono-poly wrote:

I picked one of those up a couple weeks ago and will be wiring it this weekend. Hopefully I won't electrocute myself in the process. I'm planning on using it with my 6U and taking the Doepfer PSU out of that and installing it in my 3U. All I need is a bus board.

Even though I don't use a power-one psu, I understand why everyone likes them. I still prefer the kit regardless. Just build a wood case and you don't have to worry about sourcing/DIY'ing your busboards. Of course, YMMV though. The busboard situation may not be a PITA for others like it is for me.
attacksustain
consumed wrote:

i know the doepfer midi-cv unit requires 5v. i dont know of any other?

The A113 subharmonic generator also needs +5v.

Not sure if there are any others, but those two are the only ones I've come across.
jonkull
Suburban Bather wrote:
jonkull wrote:
mono-poly wrote:

Even though I don't use a power-one psu, I understand why everyone likes them. I still prefer the kit regardless. Just build a wood case and you don't have to worry about sourcing/DIY'ing your busboards. Of course, YMMV though. The busboard situation may not be a PITA for others like it is for me.

I'm too lazy for DIY busboards. I'm going to pick up one of the Doepfer ones.
wetterberg
Suburban Bather wrote:

There's also the issue of power... one of the big PowerOnes is at least 3 times as powerful as the one that comes with the bigger DIY kit from doepfer. Add to that the fact that in order to wire up the normal DIY kit you'll be doing a lot of the stuff you end up doing with the PowerOne anyway.

And add to that that you can just as easily use the Doepfer distribution boards with a PowerOne... well...
jonkull
I'm wondering if I can just put the Power One (12V 3A) in my 6U rack and run a line from that to a busboard in the 3U rack and just run both off one supply.
elemental
cheers for the responses peeps.
hopefully going to pick up that power supply tomorrow; got a schroff rack to build and I might knock up a little wooden house for it.
only thing I need now is a bus board! d'oh!
Suburban Bather
wetterberg wrote:

you can just as easily use the Doepfer distribution boards with a PowerOne... well...

I can't find the distribution boards, just the kits.

These are all good points everyone is making about going with PowerOne and a couple racks. I've already ordered my DIY kit anyways. Once that is filled, I need to finish filling my second 5U case. And then....... start paying off debt d'oh!
mono-poly
jonkull wrote:
I'm wondering if I can just put the Power One (12V 3A) in my 6U rack and run a line from that to a busboard in the 3U rack and just run both off one supply.

Yes i think you can easy powerup to 12U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1