MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer VC Decay/Gate
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer VC Decay/Gate
DGTom
I'm looking at getting one of these & would love to hear what people think of them. I have a Metalbox Dual AD (thx plord!) & I love it & want MOAR!!

The comparator / gate / inv. gate out look real usefull! I'm thinking with the VC + threshold knob you can use it as a VC gate delay (!?!)

http://www.doepfer.de/a142.htm

( anyone got one to sell wink hihi )
e-grad
I had 2 of them and used to think it one of my fav D modules!

The gate delay function plus the inverse gate out makes it very flexible.

However, Dieter suggests to use 2 A142s for a VC gate delay (see online manual) even though I think one will do the job IIRC.
MrDys
I like mine a lot. The fact that it has zero attack stage can make it kind of harsh to use as an envelope (which you may want), but that can be tamed with some tasteful compression.

My favorite use so far, is to set it to retrigger itself (inv. out into the trigger in) with a varying decay time.

You should track one down soon. Dieter mentioned a few months back that he was not going to make any more as it doesn't sell that well. I should buy a second one now that I think of it...
makenoise
e-grad wrote:

However, Dieter suggests to use 2 A142s for a VC gate delay (see online manual) even though I think one will do the job IIRC.

Yup. this is def. the case.

I found it to be strange at really short decay times. Set to less than 50% there was always a small voltage at the output, and thus, my LPG would never shut-up. If I push decay up past 50% the offset would disappear. I tried another unit and it did the same thing. I found it to be annoying, because I like really short env. with LPGs. I did not notice this when I used it with A-131 VCA.

Tony
Johnisfaster
noisebug is selling the decay gate right now I have one coming as we speak. that along with the voltage controlled adsr as well, they weren't my first choices but there is a serious lack of EG's available in the states right now and I'm impatient.
REwire
The A-142 is very useful. I need it to make real gates out of all those weak triggers many modules put out. Also, extends sequencers to make variable gate steps with the VC control.

If they discontinue this, Analogue Systems has a module that does similar functions: RS-50
Jari Jokinen
makenoise wrote:
I found it to be strange at really short decay times. Set to less than 50% there was always a small voltage at the output, and thus, my LPG would never shut-up. If I push decay up past 50% the offset would disappear. I tried another unit and it did the same thing. I found it to be annoying, because I like really short env. with LPGs. I did not notice this when I used it with A-131 VCA.

Tony

Thank you. I was considering A-142, but it seems less appealing now.
makenoise
Jari Jokinen wrote:
makenoise wrote:

Tony

Thank you. I was considering A-142, but it seems less appealing now.

NP. Perhaps somebody else could confirm this... maybe it I was losing it, I was pretty scattered as this was all occurring while I was developing the QMMG. I tried it with the M13 and got the same results; I measured the voltage at the time, but I have since forgotten the figure.

Tony
MrDys
Hmm...I've never noticed this behavior. I'll have to test it out when I get home. I use short decay times pretty frequently. The 142 is great for percussive sounds.
DGTom
Thanks for the thoughts guys! Now I think I need 2! help

REwire wrote:
Also, extends sequencers to make variable gate steps with the VC control.

This has totally sold me! I love AD EGs but being able to use one to create VC gate lengths would be right horror show. The RS-50 looks cool as well!

Johnisfaster wrote:
noisebug is selling the decay gate right now I have one coming as we speak. that along with the voltage controlled adsr as well, they weren't my first choices but there is a serious lack of EG's available in the states right now and I'm impatient.

*shakes fist* Yyyooouuuu grabbed it! hihi I just scored the A-172 & 101-2 off the noisebug used section, seeing the 142 there was what got me thinking about it!

If anyone can confirm the behaviour with LPGs the esteemed Mr. Makenoise has noted that would be really usefull grin I don't have any LPGs at the moment (soon!) & I have the Metalbox ADs which are super tight so I'm not even sure this would be a deal breaker anyway.

Now to hunt 1 (or 2) down :sherlock:
Johnisfaster
hm, I must have got their last 142 and 111, they pulled the 111 the day after I made my order. got it for 199! woo hoo!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1