MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New .WAV player questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Author New .WAV player questions
MN3005
Hello
I got a new .wave player in the mail today and i'm having a little trouble with it. When i got it i was able to play some drum files that were on the card but then i decided to try to slap a file of my own on it. I inserted the card into my reader (i'm on a mac) and drug file onto the card. erased "b.wav" and renamed my new file "b.wav"
insert card into system and error light stays on.
I'll save you three hours of my life, but the error light ALWAYS stays on!! I've tried reformatting the card with "fat16" with no luck (i cant find a way to do 16...right now it's fat32)

First, i'm not sure why simply dragging a file into the SD card makes the hardware brick but it did.

And ideally this would use a format that is easily available (like fat32) instead of this obsolete format.

Anyone have similar issues...or does anyone have the first computer in the world so i can reformat this SD card? HEEEELP!!!!
__ag
Hello,

are you using the Hidden Cleaner app to eject the card?

Cleaning cards in OSX
OSX leaves undesired files in the card if you eject it the “normal way” after copying files (you know this if you opened mac volumes in Windows).
To clean these files before ejecting there’s this free app that does all the dirty work:

Hidden Cleaner
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27416/hidden-cleaner

Just drag a volume into it, it will clean all undesirable files and eject it

all troubleshooting card problems can be read here:
http://andregoncalves.info/addac/?page_id=722

let me know!

all the very best
andre
MN3005
Thanks, i'll try this cleaner thing

BUT now that this card is formatted "fat32" will it work.
I searched all over to try to find a mac way to format 16...i even couldnt find a windows way to do it (i have bootcamp/XP on my macbook)
"fat16" seems to be an obsolete format...will it work with "fat32"?
__ag
nope, it won't work with fat32!

and please let's not discuss obsolescence when we're all using analogue synths wink
some old stuff it's just good for what it is and how it does it...
i can tell you that once you get used to the process it's no hassle at all....

here's the osx step through to format cards in fat16 through terminal, please take extreme car so that you don't end up erasing your hard drive!

To format the SD card, you will need the path to the SD card device and the SD card device number.
1. Insert the SD Card into a card reader.
2. If you don't know how to find the device number of the SD Card, here is one way to do it:
2b. Open Disk Utility
2c. Highlight the SD Card device (upper icon), not the SD Card volume (lower icon)
2d. Click Erase at the top of the window
2e. Select Volume Format: MS-DOS (FAT) Click Erase... > Click Erase
The SD Card Volume Name will change to the UNIX device number e.g. "disk5s1". Note this number as it will change by itself to "Untitled". It is now formatted in MS-DOS FAT 32. We need to reformat it in FAT 16.

Once you have the device number of the SD Card, you need the path to the SD card device.
3. For my Mac, the path to devices is "/dev". In a terminal window: type "cd /dev" and hit the "Return" key to go to the "dev" directory. Then type "ls" (with a lower case L) and "Return" key. You should see the SD Card device number listed.

Formatting the SD Card in FAT 16:
4. In Disk Utility, highlight the SD Card device and click Unmount at the top, not Eject. The desktop icon of the SD card will disappear.
5. Go to the Terminal window. Be careful to type the following command with the correct letter case and spacing. Again, make sure you type the correct device number and path as you can very easily erase your hard drive in UNIX.
Type the command:
newfs_msdos -F 16 (path to SD Card device)/(SD Card device number)
e.g. newfs_msdos -F 16 /dev/disk5s1
and hit the "Return" key.
6. If you get just a new prompt (or a prompt with some warnings, e.g. below), the command executed successfully. You can remove the SD Card; it is now formatted in FAT 16. You can verify this in Disk Utility after mounting the SD Card.
If you get some instructions on the newfs_msdos command with a new prompt, the command did not execute. Make sure you enter the command with the correct case and spacing. Hint: to re-enter a previous command you typed, hit the up arrow repeatedly. For more information, type: "man newfs_msdos". Scroll with arrow keys. Type "q" to quit and return to prompt.

Warnings Example
newfs_msdos: warning: /dev/disk5s1 is not a character device
/dev/disk5s1: 1998208 sectors in 62444 FAT16 clusters (16384 bytes/cluster)
bps=512 spc=32 res=1 nft=2 rde=512 mid=0xf0 spf=244 spt=32 hds=128 hid=0 bsec=1998738

all the very best
andre
MN3005
__ag wrote:
nope, it won't work with fat32!

and please let's not discuss obsolescence when we're all using analogue synths wink
some old stuff it's just good for what it is and how it does it...
i can tell you that once you get used to the process it's no hassle at all....

here's the osx step through to format cards in fat16 through terminal, please take extreme car so that you don't end up erasing your hard drive!

To format the SD card, you will need the path to the SD card device and the SD card device number.
1. Insert the SD Card into a card reader.
2. If you don't know how to find the device number of the SD Card, here is one way to do it:
2b. Open Disk Utility
2c. Highlight the SD Card device (upper icon), not the SD Card volume (lower icon)
2d. Click Erase at the top of the window
2e. Select Volume Format: MS-DOS (FAT) Click Erase... > Click Erase
The SD Card Volume Name will change to the UNIX device number e.g. "disk5s1". Note this number as it will change by itself to "Untitled". It is now formatted in MS-DOS FAT 32. We need to reformat it in FAT 16.

Once you have the device number of the SD Card, you need the path to the SD card device.
3. For my Mac, the path to devices is "/dev". In a terminal window: type "cd /dev" and hit the "Return" key to go to the "dev" directory. Then type "ls" (with a lower case L) and "Return" key. You should see the SD Card device number listed.

Formatting the SD Card in FAT 16:
4. In Disk Utility, highlight the SD Card device and click Unmount at the top, not Eject. The desktop icon of the SD card will disappear.
5. Go to the Terminal window. Be careful to type the following command with the correct letter case and spacing. Again, make sure you type the correct device number and path as you can very easily erase your hard drive in UNIX.
Type the command:
newfs_msdos -F 16 (path to SD Card device)/(SD Card device number)
e.g. newfs_msdos -F 16 /dev/disk5s1
and hit the "Return" key.
6. If you get just a new prompt (or a prompt with some warnings, e.g. below), the command executed successfully. You can remove the SD Card; it is now formatted in FAT 16. You can verify this in Disk Utility after mounting the SD Card.
If you get some instructions on the newfs_msdos command with a new prompt, the command did not execute. Make sure you enter the command with the correct case and spacing. Hint: to re-enter a previous command you typed, hit the up arrow repeatedly. For more information, type: "man newfs_msdos". Scroll with arrow keys. Type "q" to quit and return to prompt.

Warnings Example
newfs_msdos: warning: /dev/disk5s1 is not a character device
/dev/disk5s1: 1998208 sectors in 62444 FAT16 clusters (16384 bytes/cluster)
bps=512 spc=32 res=1 nft=2 rde=512 mid=0xf0 spf=244 spt=32 hds=128 hid=0 bsec=1998738

all the very best
andre

eek!
ooooooh, it's so simple...

How about windows. I would feel a little more comfortable not risking wiping out my hard drive. Shouldn't this be as simple as selecting a pull down menu.
Dead Banana
MN3005
Okay,
I downloaded this SD formatter program https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/ to run of my windows (bootcamp)

Card is wiped and reformatted

Got to module insert it 4 flashing then solid error...i feel good for a moment because there isnt anything on the card so i could see why it would see it as an error. And according to the website 4 flashes means it's formatted correctly applause

I download mac cleaner program, insert card, put in one file "a.wav"
clean it as it ejects
and same thing...4 flashes then solid error LED

very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
I'm just about to run over this with my car!!!!

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong...or if they've had similar issues.
I want to like this module but it's making it pretty hard at the moment!!!
__ag
straight from the same SD CARD webpage that i had posted before:
http://andregoncalves.info/addac/?page_id=722

I spent a lot of time writing all of that info, and i wouldn't if i didn't think it was important!

if you haven't run it over yet, please drop the car keys, relax and take 5 minutes to read the webpage throughly, it's all there!

General file requirements
1. Up to 72 files per card – minimum of 2 files!
2. All files must be .WAV files
3. All files must 22.050Khz – Mono

file “b.wav” must be bellow 500kb!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Page 1 of 1