MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stilton vs A138D FX insert --- was Stilton vs A119
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Stilton vs A138D FX insert --- was Stilton vs A119
haven
I need a way to get my obsession with FX processors (racks and a few pedals) to interface with my new obsession with Eurorack. So far all I have been doing is sending my Eurorack to my rack FX and being happy with standard Synth > FX signal paths.

The A119 is appealing because it is cheap - and it has an envelope follower (but lack of a depth control makes it not very useful) I have heard less than stellar reports of its audio quality, and this aspect is important to me. If I really need an envelope follower or audio to trigger I could use those functions on my Waldorf Microworks 4pole combined with MIDI to CV.

The Stilton is appealing because it is 4 channels for 3x the price of the A119 and it has a wet/dry mix and feedback. The Evin expander is also a selling point to me, but I would get it later.

anyone with both that can comment on the audio quality?
e-grad
I had an A119 and thought it fine but it's not high fidelity. The Blacet I/O has a better audio quality.

No experience with the Stilton.
haven
I was looking at the Blacet I/O a while back - some great features.

Unfortunately I do not have a Frac rack. The Wiard and STG modules coming to Euro soon makes that less likely now than it was 6 months ago.
REwire
The Stilton is a Send/Return module. It's Doepfer equivalent would be the A-138d which is 1/4 of the use at 1/3 of the price.

The only other module that does what the A-119 does (instrument input / amp /env follower) is the Cwejman AP-1, which is miles beyond the A119 in quality (and price)

DAn
haven
Good point REwire,

Since i only really need the gain (and attenuation I guess) i was thinking the Stilton is comparable to the A119 for my use. I do not need the Mic preamp aspect as I would rather use a dedicated preamp. the A138D is indeed the more appropriate module to compare.

So to rephrase

Anyone with experience with the A138d Crossfader/Insert vs. the Stilton? Sound quality difference?
wetterberg
I can only say that the a138d sounds bloody gorgeous, and I really like having independent input/output jacks, so I don't need an insert cable ( I hate those, tbh)

Other than that it has the crossfade option which is great.
haven
wetterberg wrote:
I can only say that the a138d sounds bloody gorgeous, and I really like having independent input/output jacks, so I don't need an insert cable ( I hate those, tbh)

Other than that it has the crossfade option which is great.

Thank you for this, its good to hear it sounds good. Having all the patch points and controls on the front panel are certainly features that set it apart form the Stilton. I too am not a fan of insert cables so it looks like this is the module I buy.
REwire
I just got a second A-138d today. Two are already pretty close to the Stilton's size at half the function but I think this is enough. I have a Metasonix AssBlaster and the WMD Geiger Counter I want in my modular and these do the trick. I was skeptical of Doepfer's quality since the A-119 but these are top notch and have a large amplification level.

.......Truth is, I probably would have gotten the Stilton if AH wasn't out of stock. d'oh!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1