MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OMG - Slicing CV Samples - It Works
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author OMG - Slicing CV Samples - It Works
bar|none
If you hate computers you can stop reading now....cause this involves sending CV through your audio interface, no midi.

I'm involved with developing a Monome app called SevenUpLive. It allows you to control midi gear and sample loops using Live. Lately we are working on some very exciting functionality to push slicing and looping and manipulating samples to a new level. You've all see the monome videos with guys slicing loops up with the monome.

This was recorded last night by the guy who invented the app. Basically triggering volume and sample start point changes against some rather boring kalimba samples to create a new instrument.

http://www.makingthenoise.com/noise/mtn%20-%20not%20my%20kalimba.mp3

What if you could draw in and trigger any envelope curve you want to control a filter, pitch, or anything else CV controllable? What if you could map LFO sweeps and bizarre long envelope tweaks? What if you could then slice these things up, trigger them in real time using a monome? For example take an LFO sweep and retrigger it at different points in the sweep.

Ok, I know Volta is gonna do this, but not quite like I'm proposing.

Bear with me for a sec. I started this experiment 2 hours ago and the results are very exciting.

I loaded 2 LFO sweeps mapped to 2 loops. Then created some ADSR envelopes as well mapped in SevenUpLive. Then I simply mapped the CV SUM out to the frequency CV on the Frequensteiner. I'm simply sending plain old boring single OSC to Frequensteiner and VCO. This is just a test.

At the start, I use the keyboard to trigger the OSC so you can here the base tone. Then I start triggering ADSRs with the monome and slicing LFO sweeps, both sine and square wave. Yeah it's boring but the potential is really cool.

http://soundcloud.com/barnone/sevenuplive-cv-experiment-v8

I'll probably still use Volta for correct pitch control. But I will use Live and SevenUpLive for the rest, once I get this sorted. You can expect it.
Soy Sos
Wicked, I wish you lived around here so I could check it out in person.
It sounds right in my zone! Thanks!! Eel Power FTW! thumbs up
bar|none
Thanks Soy Sos. I just got the email that my eel shirt is in the mail. wink Eel Power FTW!
criticalmonkey
cool - i think we're going to see lots of alternate cv computer ideas coming - this is the second unique one this week - see live doing cv on youtube

more fun
Johnisfaster
this would only work with a motu right?
bar|none
No it works with other interfaces too. Probably the list of compatible interfaces that Motu publishes for Volta would be a good starting place.

[edit] BTW johnisfaster I think you were the one that gave me the idea to slice cv.
Johnisfaster
bar|none wrote:
No it works with other interfaces too. Probably the list of compatible interfaces that Motu publishes for Volta would be a good starting place.

[edit] BTW johnisfaster I think you were the one that gave me the idea to slice cv.

that was me, I've kinda got a boner about it to be honest. right now I'm imagining cvdio (can I coin that term???) being run in molar along with your audio loops and what not and being sent out different channels.

but how am I supposed to buy a new audio device if I'm still trying to get my modules? the wife is starting to get mad..

damn you and your discoveries!
bar|none
>I'm imagining cvdio (can I coin that term???) being run in molar along with your audio loops and what not and being sent out different channels.

Yep. Although using Molar you would be using fixed samples. You can warp them and change amplitude and slice them and reverse them and randomize them and gate them..ok that 's pretty good for a start.

I'm really excited about Live's Sampler instrument because it can take a baseline sample like a single straight level cv and apply any graphical ADSR or other type of envelope to it. Also apply 3 LFOs per sample, tons of loop and release modes, etc....Multisample control of all the above and god knows what else. Control that with a monome and you have a cv playground.
bar|none
After school experiment #2.

Continuing on the theme of using Live's Sampler instrument to send CV.

Step by step. You can do this too if you have Live's Sampler Instrument.

1. Load up "DC_cv faker.wav" attached into Sampler
(NOTE: this makes no sound. It looks like a straight line which means it's a constant voltage across the whole sample. You need a change in voltage via sine wave for example to create sound)

2. OK, you should see a straight line. you can adjust the baseline voltage using the volume box on the sample tab.

3. Set start loop point at beginning and set start loop just beyond that and end loop at the end. Click the double forward arrow sustain mode. That makes it loop. So you trigger it and you then get the constant voltage forever until release.

3. Go to modulation tab. Enable the "Aux" envelope. Now draw in whatever ADSR you want including stuff not normally found on most synths. Under Choice A. Pick you want it to modulate Volume. Ok, that means ADSR changes voltage like a real ADSR.

4. Ok, now send the Sampler output out of your audio interface. I have an Ultralite MK3. I know a lot of interfaces are DC coupled and work but I don't know which ones. Check first. Send it out to any CV input like a filter. Make sure you are feeding it an OSC signal and all the rest of the Modular shit I don't have to tell you that step.

Next Phase. Make the ADSR retrigger ever beat for beat synced effects.

1. Back to the AUX envelope, Click the "beat" Loop Mode. In "Repeat" select the note division 1/16, 1/8th etc. BTW...you can make the whole ADSR respond to velocity on your keyboard too using time<Velocity.

Next Phase: Add slow LFO to modulate the CV range

1.On Modulate tab, click LFO1, you have 2 more unused LFOs with even crazier options! Bring the frequency to .06 hz. Click retrig to ON if you like. Change Volume to 50-75%.

Next Phase: Stereo PAN Dual CV

1. Ok, make the Sampler output to Stereo audio pair.

2. Patch a cable to your Modular, hmm, how bout resonance.

3. In LFO 1, make change Pan effect to 50-75%

What just happened. Basically, as the LFO pans the signal right an left, you cv affect filter cutoff OR resonance to a different degree. And this is all locked to the beat.

Have fun...lot to play with.

3. In
Veqtor
When max4live comes out we (a yet to be named software firm) plan on releasing a set of modules (live devices) for generating and modifying control voltages using any motu soundcard.

Here's some preliminary details:

All generators and modulators which are concerned with generating 1v/oct material will be able to receive a type of harmonic information which includes the current key, chord and scale. This is a type of information which we plan to encourage other module builders to incorporate into their live devices. This information will be generated by a special module which could be described as being aware of almost all music, jazz, classical, pop, electronic, that's been made in the last 300 years and based on this database, can generate everything from simple chord sequences to extremely complex, non-cyclic yet meaningful modulated chord sequences.

Generators:
• Tempo LFO-generator (self explanatory)
• Rythmic curve generator (generates curves which create rythmic patterns)
• Controlled Uncertainty (an emulation of the source of uncertainty, however this module let's you assign the different random gates to different values instead of them being prepatched, kind of like the klee sequencer)
• Figure Generator - uses a large database of interval information in the form of variable order markov chains derived from written music, using it to generate melodies, jazzy improvisation and more.

Modulators:
• Slice, dice and dissolve: This is the main device, which cuts up your CV based on received midi-notes, that is, it isn't random. It can cut it up, rearrange, reverse, circuit-bend, change it's speed etc.
• Adaptor: This device contains lag with independent rise and fall with lin log and exp behavior, s&h and note quantization.

There will of course be a lot more features in the final versions, but these are functions that have already been developed in max 5, that is, we're certain that they will work.
bar|none
Sounds very interesting for sure.

Were you guys actually able to get into the max4live beta program? I have not been able to. It's fine and good to develop in Max 5 but it'll be interesting to see what the limitations are of Max4Live.

I understand what you are saying about all the cv control.

This stuff
>as being aware of almost all music, jazz, classical, pop, electronic, that's been made in the last 300 years and based on this database

I'd have to be convinced. Sounds really interesting though.

Thanks for sharing.
goiks
bar|none wrote:
After school experiment #2.

thanks bar|none!
bar|none
Yeah, I think we both want Volta now! But experimenting is cool too.

I just had the most insane jam using this technique. I will try to post a video when I get the chance. Hopefully soon.
bar|none
Ok, made a little video about how to do this using ADSRs. LFOs are the subject of another video I have yet to make.

Audio was point and shoot mike. So don't expect anything awesome.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1