MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Aargh! My Serge Creature is ... a DSP-based FAKE!?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Aargh! My Serge Creature is ... a DSP-based FAKE!?
kkonkkrete
Ok, this has made me really confused and caused me to question some of my basic beliefs. eek!

Over the last couple of months, I have been getting interested in doing some DIY modules, so I've been acquiring the basic soldering skills, reading electronics books, poring over schematics and all the rest of it. Then, yesterday, inspired by the "naked creature" thread, I finally decided to open up my M-boat to have a look for myself. Can somebody please explain to me what the SHARC processor on the circuit board is for? Is this involved in the sound synthesis on the creature? To make matters even more confusing, I see that some of the banana sockets are not even connected to anything! I know it's great to have an 'organic' relationship where you get the feeling the synth is doing some of the work on its own, but seriously, I can't believe this is the way Serge Tcherepnin originally conceived the synth.

What should I do? I like the way it sounds, but it makes me question how it really works. Thoughts? help
astroschnautzer
I have a moog modular, it`s got sharks all over it , completly normal, don`t worry.
zthee
lol lol
kkonkkrete
astroschnautzer wrote:
I have a moog modular, it`s got sharks all over it , completly normal, don`t worry.

I don't know, isn't that just an "East Coast" issue? I'm not sure how applicable the old-world "Moog" logic is to this particular case. I mean Moogs were the synths that virtually dominated analogue for a while, so in a sense they were the early virtual analogues, right?

Still it is interesting to hear that this DSP-issue is more widespread than I realised. Maybe that's why Moogs are always so "warm" and "phat". I love those maternal terms. But maybe sometimes I'm looking for sounds somewhere between a lightning rod and a dirty frying pan, or a haruspex reading entrails on an anvil. I'm just surprised that it's possible with a DSP-based "soft synth" masquerading as a powertool, which is what I appear to have on my hands.
b3nsf
Its true. I opened up my Quad Slope last night and there was Ensoniq "Q" chips!!! And an old 386 proc with a huge trimpot mounted on the top!! what gives, guys?!! d'oh!
felix
lol

we're not worthy
chimologic
my TKB has a Sony PS2 chip! what the hell!!!
parasitk
Did I spend $4000 on a Serge synth just to later find out it's made with a bunch of digital junk? Isn't integrated circuits basically a digital component? How analog is my ANALOG modular synth, really? I feel betrayed right now.

Wait what.
BugBrand
I also opened up one of my modules today and got a surprise:

The insects are present in every module I build (hence the BugBrand name), but I can't figure where the cat came from...
Cybananna
parasitk wrote:
Did I spend $4000 on a Serge synth just to later find out it's made with a bunch of digital junk? Isn't integrated circuits basically a digital component? How analog is my ANALOG modular synth, really? I feel betrayed right now.

Wait what.

Haven't I heard this somewhere before??
parasitk
Cybananna wrote:
parasitk wrote:

Wait what.

No.

w00t
e-grad
BugBrand wrote:
I can't figure where the cat came from...

That's easy! It is just perfect mimicry. This bug is commonly called Tiger Bug (Tigris bugus in latin) since it perfectly mimics the appearence of a cat of prey to warn of possible predators.
wetterberg
parasitk wrote:
Cybananna wrote:
parasitk wrote:

Wait what.

No.
[...]
w00t
lol!
chamomileshark
hmm interesting pic Bugbrand. People always say you shouldn't allow your moggy into the studio and this is why. The cat hairs collect within modules and due to the intense modulification fields and the influence of Maxwell's demon they spontaneous organise into minature cat forms. Unfortunately this can lead to conCATination and all your modules rendering them useless.

Only thing is that you immediately isolate the affected modules, send them to me forthwith and I will attempt to tempt the cat forms out by surrounding them with garden gnomes with the standard fishing rods. To be on the safe side I'll keep them here for 6 months or until you have forgotten about them.

Can't say fairer than that can I?
astroschnautzer
kkonkkrete wrote:
astroschnautzer wrote:

I don't know, isn't that just an "East Coast" issue? I'm not sure how applicable the old-world "Moog" logic is to this particular case. I mean Moogs were the synths that virtually dominated analogue for a while, so in a sense they were the early virtual analogues, right?

Still it is interesting to hear that this DSP-issue is more widespread than I realised. Maybe that's why Moogs are always so "warm" and "phat". I love those maternal terms. But maybe sometimes I'm looking for sounds somewhere between a lightning rod and a dirty frying pan, or a haruspex reading entrails on an anvil. I'm just surprised that it's possible with a DSP-based "soft synth" masquerading as a powertool, which is what I appear to have on my hands.
I don`t know, I`m from Finland and I don`t use virtual analog so can`t compare, we havent got sharks naturally here either. What is a haruspex, dirty flying pan and entrails and anvil??? Never heard.
kkonkkrete
astroschnautzer wrote:
I don`t know, I`m from Finland and I don`t use virtual analog so can`t compare, we havent got sharks naturally here either. What is a haruspex, dirty flying pan and entrails and anvil??? Never heard.

Oh, I just realized: Sharks + Finns. d'oh! I wish I had a Moog to mate with my Creature even if they are both really just cheap digital clones...

by the way @Everybody: Hahahaha! You suckers really fell for it! I was actually taking the piss. You know April Fool's day and all that: It was a FPGA not a SHARC processor....

w00t
felix
kkonkkrete wrote:
It was a FPGA not a SHARC processor....

HAhahahaa!

we're not worthy
aetherpulse
I thought it was sposed to be digital...
NV
I opened up my computer today and found surface mount components used throughout the entire system. Can't believe I paid so much for this robot shit.
HexEnduction
kkonkkrete wrote:
astroschnautzer wrote:

Oh, I just realized: Sharks + Finns. d'oh! I wish I had a Moog to mate with my Creature even if they are both really just cheap digital clones...

by the way @Everybody: Hahahaha! You suckers really fell for it! I was actually taking the piss. You know April Fool's day and all that: It was a FPGA not a SHARC processor....

w00t

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
zthee
kkonkkrete wrote:
You know April Fool's day and all that: It was a FPGA not a SHARC processor....

w00t

we're not worthy we're not worthy w00t hihi lol lol
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
fuck man! I opened up my filterbank 2 to see what was inside and it was turtles all the way down!! angry
brandon daniel
I opened my Minimoog Model D and found eels inside! WTF? Eels! I thought I had a piece of vintage history, but I guess I actually bought some sushi-to-be.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1