MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to build a sequenced filterbank - plaque bearers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author How to build a sequenced filterbank - plaque bearers?
bar|none
In my Spectralis there is a fixed filter bank where you have 8 bandpass filters a LP and a HP that are all at fixed frequencies. Then the sequencer can trigger ADSR envelopes to open and close each frequency which makes for amazing rythmic effects. You can make a whole drum rack out of white noise.

I was wondering if this is a common thing to do in a modular?

I was thinking of starting with 4 plague bearers for example. Then control the ADSR envelopes through cv using Live and my MOTU interface, cause it would be easier to beat sync this and also I don't want to spent a shit ton on more ADSRs. Alos, I can trigger each ADSR this way just by triggering a sample pad.

Thoughts?
parasitk
Do it! (and post clips) hyper
Daisykutter
I've done something similar using my Doepfer A127 Triple Res Filter. It has been modded with a front panel switch for each filter to select BP or LP. One of my favorite modules. Would love to hear some clips as well.

-c-
bar|none
This is what I'm getting at

http://www.spectralis.de/demos/spectralis_noisegroove.mp3
http://www.spectralis.de/demos/ambient.mp3
flight
The PB can definitely do this, in fact, I have done this many times with the original Quad PB. I could get kick, tom, and cymbal/high-hat (append "-ish" to each of those) sounds. I'm sure I could have gotten a snare sound if I had synchronized two channels to get the snap/rattle and tone. It is even easier to do now with the VC Gain. wink

You can do it by using a pulse to ring the filter, or use a sharp ramp: 1) into the High CV to get a quick hiss/snap with decay and, 2) into the Low CV to get some THUMPING bass tones (I really pissed off my Lady with this, everything on my whole damn workbench was rattling. twisted) .
bar|none
You delivering any black ones to Analogue Haven? I'll think I'll try out 1 first and go from there.

Are you able to isolate the band pass enough to spread them across the bands?
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
In my Spectralis there is a fixed filter bank where you have 8 bandpass filters a LP and a HP that are all at fixed frequencies. Then the sequencer can trigger ADSR envelopes to open and close each frequency which makes for amazing rythmic effects. You can make a whole drum rack out of white noise.

Sounds pretty similar to the Moog MuRF.

There are several fixed filterbanks available, but not many that I know of with cv...
There are several variable freq. filterbanks that do have cv, but they generally have much fewer bands.

It is a pretty cool effect; works nicely in a feedback loop.

I think EoWave made a FilterBug that did something very similar too.
flight
Quote:
You delivering any black ones to Analogue Haven? I'll think I'll try out 1 first and go from there.

Yep, waiting on my freaking panels.
<RANT>
Why the f*ck is it that I could get 1000 6-layer PCBs tomorrow if I want, but it is impossible to get panels in less than 2 weeks (often longer)?
</RANT>

Quote:

Are you able to isolate the band pass enough to spread them across the bands?

I think so, but see for yourself: http://www.flightofharmony.com/Plague_Bearer.html
Scroll down to the samples, try "Percussive". Warning: these samples really suck. I had no idea what I was doing or what samples should be like. That sample is really quiet, so you'll need to turn up your speakers.
felix
I've been wanting to do this for a while now.

been waiting for the Plan B M16 for a long time:
http://www.ear-group.net/model_16.html

I've been toying with picking up the cwejman RES-4, but I'd love to hear how a PB filterbank would sound.
makenoise
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Quote:

Sounds pretty similar to the Moog MuRF.

There are several fixed filterbanks available, but not many that I know of with cv...
There are several variable freq. filterbanks that do have cv, but they generally have much fewer bands.

It is a pretty cool effect; works nicely in a feedback loop.

I think EoWave made a FilterBug that did something very similar too.

Yup, you are def. describing Moog's MuRF. If you had a fixed filter bank with individual outs, perhaps even the Doepfer A-129-1??? you could combine those outs with a bank of VCAs or VC-Mixer to achieve a similar affect... or you could get the Murf, because it is really fun!

Tony
REwire
I've been trying different filter banks for a while. I currently have the ASystems RS-460 - 3 bands of variable filters. I liked it more than the Doepfer and also more than the Cwejman RES-4, which was the most functional, but too clean.

The Model 16 is going to be a long way off. I borrowed the prototype with 3 working bands and it sounded great but way incomplete. It's so complex, Peter won't be able to produce this under current conditions.

I have two Plague Bearers in separate areas and hadn't joined them together yet. Does the larger Plague system of 4 run one into another in series or are they in parallel? One is so big, even two seems like a monster.
bar|none
>Yup, you are def. describing Moog's MuRF

Yeah except that, from looking at the specs, the patterns are fixed. I definitely want to be able to trigger the filter bands with whatever envelopes I want using my own sequences.

@makenoise
Better get the QMMG involved in this as well. Gonna try that today. Only problem...I don't have the 1/4 to 1/8 cords I need to sent my cv. Doh!
makenoise
bar|none wrote:
>Yup, you are def. describing Moog's MuRF

Yeah except that, from looking at the specs, the patterns are fixed. I definitely want to be able to trigger the filter bands with whatever envelopes I want using my own sequences.

@makenoise
Better get the QMMG involved in this as well. Gonna try that today. Only problem...I don't have the 1/4 to 1/8 cords I need to sent my cv. Doh!

Yes, true, the patterns are preset.
Well then the QMMG will do some nice tricks for you! Be sure to attenuate the incoming CV in HP pass mode, the control inputs are very sensitive!

Tony
bar|none
I just made a bongo(Buchla Bongo) set with the QMMG I can play on the monome using only CV control through Live, no midi to cv interface involved. And each pad has different volume and timbre.

The good, cool possibilities.

The bad, more work than I thought. Mainly because of tuning the FM on the oscillators. Only because I'm trying to control it with CV out of my audio interface.
DGTom
flight wrote:

Scroll down to the samples, try "Percussive". Warning: these samples really suck. I had no idea what I was doing or what samples should be like. That sample is really quiet, so you'll need to turn up your speakers.

Nah man, those "Percussive" samples where the main reason I wanted the PBs! All the rest is a bonus! I love the bit where it almost sounds like an ultra gainy guitar being plucked behind the bridge! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

PBs make awesome drum sounds! Very Woody! & if you are a bonehead like me & wire em up wrong you can get 2 drum sounds from 1 module hyper except that doesn't work without some serious (bad) side effects, but for like 15 mins I had a bass & clave riddim rocking from 1 PB!

I think its a pretty differant sound to the pinged filter effect the OP is after, which I'm guessing is a little more contolled & 'respects' the input a little more wink
bar|none
@flight
>Yep, waiting on my freaking panels.

Definitely want one when you get those in. The samples sound totally cool btw.
flight
Sounds good to me. smile

Thanks, but I like the stuff you all do better though!
REwire
Tried out your suggestions flight with one Plague Bearer and a white noise input snipped tight. Manual tweaking of input level and high and low. All into one channel of the QMMG for more ring:

http://www.rewiremusic.com/Audio/Demos/REwire_-_Plague_Bearer.mp3

Love this thing more than before!

Dan
bar|none
Are you shitting me? That is sick! @flight, when are you getting those panels? Can you just throw the grinder on some scrap metal, build it and send it?

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
flight
Damn, that was good. Ya see? This is why I think my samples suck! I gotta make some gear to hook 'em up to.

@ bar|none: Well, the euro PB and Choices panels should be here early next week, the fracs (which are coming from a different vendor) will be about a week longer. angry

<edit>I just checked, AH has a couple left. (I sent my last few in last week).
DGTom
REwire wrote:

SlayerBadger!

I love that quack sound the PB does!
flight
Heh, me too. I played around with it once and got it quasi-close to a real duck quack (an electronic duck on overdrive, that is).
deastman
REwire wrote:
Tried out your suggestions flight with one Plague Bearer and a white noise input snipped tight. Manual tweaking of input level and high and low. All into one channel of the QMMG for more ring:

Love this thing more than before!

Dan
Wow! That sounds great. I'd try that myself right now if I wasn't on my way to bed. Maybe throw in a little sequencer control of the CV's... hyper
parasitk
Great clip. I love the sound of this module. I can't wait to get a second (new revision)! SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1