MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ensoniq Fizmo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Ensoniq Fizmo
Zenn
Man.. I've been offered an Ensoniq Fizmo Tabletop... I've been looking for this synth for about 5 years now. But I was just saving up for my second 9U of euro... what shall I do?
zapp550
Buy it, from what I recall reading those are pretty rare. If the price is right and you don't mesh with it i'm sure someone here would buy it off you.
mattysal
+1

its pretty sweet and you will for sure be able to sell it if you need it

enjoy it Mr. Green
bwhittington
The only tabletop version I've seen is this conversion that I believe Mr. STG did:

Cool, but not an official release. If this is your beast, I might go for it if it is priced like a Fizmo keyboard. If it is priced like 9U of Euro, I'd take a pass. If if you mean a rack version, I think you should pass but give me the seller's contact info so I can buy it. lol

Cheers,
Brian
dougt
Yeah I bought that Fizmo from STG (since passed on to Cary).
zapp550
I've got mixed feelings on that fizmo tabletop, I like it at first then I get a sad feeling hmmm..... I almost did this to a microkorg when my wife and I got married and discovered we had two.. but i'd be hard pressed no to find multiples available on my local craigslist. Are the keys really bad on them?
Just me
If you mean a Fizmo RACK version. They are VERY rare and Very Cool! They are not a cut up keyboard version like in the pictures above.
If you don't want it, pass the info on to here and watch us act like sharks after a bucket of chum!
If it is a keyboard version and you pass on it, do the same. We will snatch it up so fast your head will spin.
(You should take that as a hint to BUY IT NOW!.) Unless they want a grand for it or something stupid.

And @Zapp550; The keyboards are really good on them. Poly afterpressure and all that jazz.
mome rath
dougt wrote:
Yeah I bought that Fizmo from STG (since passed on the Cary).

actually, you bought that from me

zapp550
Just me wrote:
If you mean a Fizmo RACK version. They are VERY rare and Very Cool! They are not a cut up keyboard version like in the pictures above.
If you don't want it, pass the info on to here and watch us act like sharks after a bucket of chum!
If it is a keyboard version and you pass on it, do the same. We will snatch it up so fast your head will spin.
(You should take that as a hint to BUY IT NOW!.) Unless they want a grand for it or something stupid.

And @Zapp550; The keyboards are really good on them. Poly afterpressure and all that jazz.

Then I do feel sadness sad banana

I'll just pretend the rest of the board went gangrenous and difficult decisions had to be made MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Zenn
Man that cut-up fizmo keys breaks my hart.

I bought it. it's one of these:

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo nanners
essex sound lab
Congrats!

As everybody else has said it will be remarkably easy to sell if it ends up not being your cup of java.

Out of curiosity, does it have the red lens over the display as shown in the above stock photo? Mine doesn't, despite being otherwise EX-. Nor does one other that I'm aware of. I've always wondered what the story is with those going missing.
Zenn
essex sound lab wrote:
Congrats!
Out of curiosity, does it have the red lens over the display as shown in the above stock photo? Mine doesn't, despite being otherwise EX-. Nor does one other that I'm aware of. I've always wondered what the story is with those going missing.

Yep it does. Probably crappy glue. Ensoniq is weird on their build quality... I have an ESQ1 which weights about 20Kg...full metal casing etc but screws keep falling out... I fried another ESQ1 trying to change the battery (heavy lesson). My DP4 is also build like a tank, but when I bought it all the ground wires on inputs were broken hmmm..... And as for the Fizmo... If you don't replace the volatge regulator it will eventually commit suicide.
Just me
Don't know if the rack units suffered from the voltage regulator issue. You will want Sound Diver 3.0 to really edit it.
essex sound lab
Zenn wrote:

Yep it does. Probably crappy glue.

Hadn't occurred to me that it might actually be languishing somewhere inside the casing.

Just me wrote:
Don't know if the rack units suffered from the voltage regulator issue.

My understanding at the time that I bought mine was that they don't. My recollection is that the rack units came toward the end of the production run, after the issue had been resolved by Ensoniq. A quick Google this morning couldn't confirm that though. Hmmmm. Time to go spelunking in the Yahoo group archives. I'd hate to wake up to a dead Fizmo Rack someday.
bwhittington
Zenn wrote:
Man that cut-up fizmo keys breaks my hart.

I bought it. it's one of these:

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo nanners

One of 100. Nicely done.

Now hit me up if you ever need to sell. hihi

Cheers,
Brian
essex sound lab
bwhittington wrote:

One of 100.

That number is somewhat contested. But surely the number is low.

Quote:
Nicely done.

Particularly if it was picked up at a halfway decent price!

It's peanut butter jelly time!
supersuper
I had a fizmo rack and keys. Sold the rack on ebay as they were commanding crazy prices for a while. used the cash the fund a kyma system and didn't look back.

Sold the keys to someone close with first right of refusal should they wish to part with it.

It is a super cool synth but i suspect that my real attraction is that it was one of the first synths i ever had and will always be part of the adventure for me as a result.

Of course all the love aside there are some problems:

There is a big learning curve to get good controlled results. You could get a lot more out of kyma or max for the amount of time you will invest.

incomplete interface with some hidden controls. The fact that sound diver, the only software editor, is dead and buried for all but those with a logic xs key only makes it worse.

If someone came out with an ipad controller for the fizmo parameters i would be all over it. Also i would love for creative to bring back ensoniq and produce softsynths like they have with all the old emu libraries.

Anyway sorry for the rant hyper grats on getting a rack; free space is the greatest gift of all.
Zenn
supersuper wrote:

incomplete interface with some hidden controls.

Well that's Emu/Ensoniq/Robert Yannes all over... from the SID, the ESQ1 hack where you can use random parts of memory as waveform, up until their most obvious unsellable synth ever. I love it. and YES they should be getting back in the sound-creating-business!

now we're on the topic of Ensoniq in general... did anybody ever play that ASR-X groovebox they made?
suitandtieguy
for the record, i'm not responsible for the FIZZMObomination. i just owned it.

that was done by someone else. frustratingly enough, they did it because the velocity sensor on the keyboard failed, and they were one of those people that thinks velocity is important, so they just hacked it up. i bought it from them after that event.
mome rath
suitandtieguy wrote:
for the record, i'm not responsible for the FIZZMObomination. i just owned it.

that was done by someone else. frustratingly enough, they did it because the velocity sensor on the keyboard failed, and they were one of those people that thinks velocity is important, so they just hacked it up. i bought it from them after that event.

and then the pitch bend went funny and everything was detuned down by a step or so seriously, i just don't get it
mckenic
You would have to break my cold dead fingers to get my rack Fiz off me! Even then I'd haunt you!

Since I got into modular Ive not played much with it - AFAIK it didnt have the regulator issue but some racks were said to behave funky with pitchbend info seriously, i just don't get it I usually just hold keys for hours and listen to evolving sound - love wavetable synths & love the Fiz...

Now - dont sell it but have LOTS of fun with it!
scozbor
The red LCD screen comes off mine every time I pick it up. Been meaning to glue it back down for about 2yrs now lol
aumgn
Zenn wrote:
Man.. I've been offered an Ensoniq Fizmo Tabletop... I've been looking for this synth for about 5 years now. But I was just saving up for my second 9U of euro... what shall I do?

that is the question
Zenn
Well, the purple monster is in! The interface is all like hmmm..... but the sounds are all like hyper

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
Just me
I can't believe the one with only a stock photo and from a 1 sale seller just sold for 1,300USD!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320749106791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid= p3984.m1423.l2649
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3