MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VOLTA!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author VOLTA!
xpander
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Ilok is the gayest thing next to mr. garrison.

well, technically he's transgender now, i think. i'd prefer one that looks like terrance or phillip.

i have a synchrosoft key now, i guess i need an ilok now, too. i have a crazy amount of usb connected to my iMac via powered hub.
ignatius
xpander wrote:
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Ilok is the gayest thing next to mr. garrison.

well, technically he's transgender now, i think. i'd prefer one that looks like terrance or phillip.

i have a synchrosoft key now, i guess i need an ilok now, too. i have a crazy amount of usb connected to my iMac via powered hub.

all the more reason why dongles are dumb. Pace can do challenge response but then you only get to use your plugs on one machine so if you want to use a pace plug in and do challenge response auth on two computers (one studio one laptop for live/travel) then you have to buy the plug in twice which is totally unfair and makes more sense to just pirate the damn plug in after you pay for it (which is something i've not done btw i just find a different plug in and buy/use that one). it's not like plugs that use ilok for copy protection don't get pirated.
Illiac
wow, I have to say that's very disappointing.
Analog>Plugins
Syncrosoft is the only copy protection that (since Cubase 4), that does not get cracked. Ilok gets cracked all the time, Urs for example.

I asked about copy protection because my quadcore PC runs Windows XP and also Mac Osx 10.5..... and yes I do have a legit Osx disc (but a broken macbook).

Some mac copy protection locks to your mac hardware id's this would mean that I would not be able to run it. Ilok I can, but it's about as useful as a chocolate teapot for security and adds to the cost of the software.

Will the Ilock be included with the box? Or do you have to buy that key seperate?

I will buy Volta, but would prefer vst so I could use on PC.
olilarkin
does anyone know which hosts support sample accurate midi? i guess DP does.

oli

my plugins: www.olilarkin.co.uk
Kent
Buy it or don't buy it. Rock one of these, or don't.

Analog>Plugins
Oh I'm buying it, don'y worry about that love

Even if I have to work on the mac instead of the pc.

For me the holy grail is running all my analogs in time and in tune with my Daw.

Midi to Cv convertors sounded ok with the Atari ST but modern pc's/mac's do not sound tight over midi, especially when up against sample accurate audio.

All modern Daw's do sample accurate midi when using plugin instruments.....those that say there midi interfaces are sample accurate are well.... not really telling the truth. I ran experiments with audio to midi convertors and although there is a midi delay the delay is constant.

With a midi interface I've seen for example the Midex 8 1-16ms of jitter. It sounds sloppy.

Volta is the way forward to get away from those horrid stale virtual synths that sound nothing like their analog counterparts. So thank you for making this Stretta, if it sounds like I'm putting the product down before I can assure you it's only in the interest of finding out what Volta is totally before I commit to buy.

I did buy a Motu 828mk1 off ebay before Volta was released....stupid I know....and then find out that it is not really good enough for Volta..... I can't find this information in the specifications of Volta on the Motu site.
ignatius
Kent wrote:
Buy it or don't buy it. Rock one of these, or don't.

yeah... i guess that's it until they come up with something better or want to be nicer to customers. meh
perky
i have had an ilok now for like 1 year, been touring and other stuff with it. its crap, but it works, and you can always sign up for the zero downtime, if your the type that throws things away. My dayjob is in a retail store with musical instruments, software and stuff, and i can say that we sell ALOT of software with iloks, maybe cause they cant crack it?
Waz
I'm probably not going to buy Volta now. I'm sure it will have PC support in the future, but I-Loks are terrible! I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. I ran the audio portion of the media department for my university over the summer and I was in charge of 75 (give or take) i-loks. The time I spent setting up and trouble shooting these things was amazing. I feel sorry for the person doing it this summer (it will probably be me again very frustrating ). We own all the licenses for pretty much every waves bundle. I think it would have been easier to still purchase the licenses, but install the cracked versions I found on newsgroups and torrent sites. Also, the i-lok is 40$

If people want to pirate Volta they will, the i-lok doesn't stop it. People are apt to say "Damn DRM is ruining music", but its ruining software as well. very frustrating

Other than that, Volta looks amazing and you guys did really great work on it.
we're not worthy
Kent
Yay! Another iLok flame war!
ignatius
Kent wrote:
Yay! Another iLok flame war!

it's the fly in the ointment.

bottom line is everything gets cracked. how many 'dongle emulators' made w/software have you seen? i've seen dozens and they all work for the people who use them (i don't use cracks. i pay for my software) so it seems the only people who are being effected by iLoks are paying customers who are being essentially punished.

but yeah.. Volta looks amazing. a dream come true.
Analog>Plugins
Ilok will get cracked so it would be better to charge $40 less for the software and have a straight serial number protection.

Syncrosoft is the only plugin other than the Uad-1 (which I class as a dongle with steroids), which as of Cubase 4 is yet to be cracked.

I don't mind Syncrosoft to be honest. It's never failed me yet and makes re installing Cubase 4 easy.

The burning question is will there be a pc version? I will buy Volta now if I do not have to fork out much or anything for the pc version when/if it comes out.

Stretta could you comment on the pc version?

Edit to add: I don't think this will get cracked, if it does I would hope that the modular and analog synth people would buy it. But I don't think it will get cracked, anyhow torrents are a dagerous place to go latley .... good job too, something needed to be done about piracy.
ignatius
Analog>Plugins wrote:

Edit to add: I don't think this will get cracked, if it does I would hope that the modular and analog synth people would buy it. But I don't think it will get cracked.

that's my point.. people w/a bunch of analog synths can't wait to cough up $200 for this plug in.. it's like buying a handful of modules for a bargain. thinking of all you get w/it as far as control and modulation etc it's a steal and generally speaking people who spend $100's on one module aren't going to think much about spending $200 for Volta.. its not like a bunch of laptop jockeys who essentially collect cracked plug ins are going to have any use for volta.
brandon daniel
iLok/Syncrosoft dongles are annoying as all hell, even if only because they lock you to a single functional platform to run it (IE can't simultaneously install on two computers and run both).

As a general rule, I avoid sw that uses them. But I'd make an exception for Volta.

Were I the touring sort, I'd pick up a nicely large project box, hot glue a USB hub inside, plug my dongles into the hub, and screw the whole thing together. Makes for a more sturdy, large (so less likely to get lost) item that would house your fragile little dongles.
felix
brandon daniel wrote:
Were I the touring sort, I'd pick up a nicely large project box, hot glue a USB hub inside, plug my dongles into the hub, and screw the whole thing together. Makes for a more sturdy, large (so less likely to get lost) item that would house your fragile little dongles.

I made one of these "dongle safes" for at work. It's great. Just a simple plastic project box with a hole drilled in the side for the cable from the USB hub to hang out. A little foam padding inside for shock protection and tada.
ignatius
brandon daniel wrote:
house your fragile little dongles.

that just makes me feel like less of a man. lol
brandon daniel
ignatius wrote:
that just makes me feel like less of a man. lol

Well, it *was* phrased to be intentionally-suggestive.
bar|none
Is there anyway to download Volta and just authorize the iLok?

I ordered it but says 2 weeks for delivery of the box.
Analog>Plugins
I'm still waiting for the Motu 2408mk3 I bought specifically for Volta.

I'll be hooking up the Eventide H8000FW to it over adat using the Eventides analog in and outs for audio and the 2408mk3 for Volta.

The a/d and d/a on the H8000FW is amazingly good.

But please Stretta could you put at least 3 people I know who would buy this for Pc..... that you are considering a Vst release?

A lot of people with Pc's out there
stretta
Quote:
But please Stretta could you put at least 3 people I know who would buy this for Pc..... that you are considering a Vst release?

I'm personally open to all options. Let's take this one step at a time.
Analog>Plugins
Excellent stuff Stretta smile

It's so refreshing when the person behind the product communicates with their customers.

I'll buy the version that is out now and try to use the Hackintosh (really hate the way the mouse works on a mac), with Cubase. But will wait hopefully for a vst version.

I'm quite impressed by this Motu 2408mk3 by the way. Going Pcie instead of firewire really makes a difference with latency.
parasitk
Analog>Plugins wrote:
(really hate the way the mouse works on a mac)

What do you mean? I'm curious - maybe a long time Mac user can help. If it's the left-click/right-click thing, most third party mice support and act just about exactly like a Windows mouse. Often you can even tag a controller key (such as ctrl or option) to the click. Hope that helps.
bar|none
Get an apple mighty mouse. Right click has been supported for a long time now.
ignatius
bar|none wrote:
Get an apple mighty mouse. Right click has been supported for a long time now.

right click has been supported for a million years. you just have to buy a mouse w/a right click button.

i think the apple mighty mouse is a total POS. i hated it instantly and replaced it w/a logitech.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 5 of 7