MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VOLTA!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author VOLTA!
ignatius
stretta wrote:
Volta is 1.0 w00t
We're just waiting for the manuals to be printed.

yayha.

anyone wanna buy my signal arts desktop sequencer!?!?!?
xpander
slick timing!! 200e due to be finished on monday!

Eel Power FTW!
Analog>Plugins
Good news!!!

Can't wait to use it. I was just reading the other thread about tested interfaces for use with Volta.

I went ahead and bought an 828mk1 as the advertising blurb says that any Motu interface with 1/4 inch jacks will work.

Now I see on that thread that Stretta says that it will be too weak grrrr

I'm hoping to run it over adat from my Eventide H8000FW (I use it as my main soiund card.

Surely if the outputs are a little too weak, could you not buy a cheap 8 channel mixer and use that to amplify the signal to the analog synths?
Kent
If that 8 channel mixer and doesn't roll off even more low-end/DC. If it has DC blocking caps on it then it's a no-go.
Analog>Plugins
Yeah I just tried it, no go :(

I'm really gutted I bought the 828mk1 it's totally usless for the job. I think maybe Motu should refine the 'any Motu that uses 1/4 inch jacks2 to include 'except the 828mk1' lol.

Imanaged to get up to middle C but not much further with that card. Oh well only £150 spent :(

Really hoping they are coming up with a dedicated interface that won't intrude on the soundcard you are already using...oh and a vst version smile
parasitk
I'm not sure I understand why people are buying interfaces for Volta before the plugin is even released. I'm sure once it's officially out there will be a list of compatible devices. If you were going to use it with Max/MSP or something I'd understand, but isn't it jumping the gun a little?
Veqtor
Analog>Plugins wrote:
Yeah I just tried it, no go :(

I'm really gutted I bought the 828mk1 it's totally usless for the job. I think maybe Motu should refine the 'any Motu that uses 1/4 inch jacks2 to include 'except the 828mk1' lol.

Imanaged to get up to middle C but not much further with that card. Oh well only £150 spent :(

Really hoping they are coming up with a dedicated interface that won't intrude on the soundcard you are already using...oh and a vst version smile

You could always use a pair of TL074's to amplify the outputs?
sascha.victoria
Sweet! I can't wait but really? Hard copies!? Its 2009. For the love of God don't put it in one of those standard oversized over packaged Guitar Center blow out boxes with a manual that is bigger then tome of every Shakespeare play. Everyone should be doing their part to save the world. Even software manufactures.

Disclaimer: if the manual is 5 pages and the cd is in a cardboard sleeve, never mind.

End rant.
Analog>Plugins
parasitk wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why people are buying interfaces for Volta before the plugin is even released. I'm sure once it's officially out there will be a list of compatible devices. If you were going to use it with Max/MSP or something I'd understand, but isn't it jumping the gun a little?

I have a little vst instrument that converts audio into cv voltage for analog synths from a Motu interface. I thought I'd give it a go.

As it is I'm hoping that I can run the olta Au plug in inside Kore 2 as Cubase 4 won't run Au's and I'm just not sure if a vsti version of Volta will be coming.

TL074 hmmm how would you best implement them?
stretta
Here is a PDF of interfaces and voltage ranges
xpander
great! looks like both the 896mk1 and 828mk3 will have me covered from the start. along with the 200e, i've got a few minimoogs, a prodigy and a pro one that are all completely relying on a Pro-2000 for CV control.

is it correct that the 896's Stereo Main Output will be able to cover approximately 7 1/2 octaves of control of a Buchla 261e, and the normal outputs will be able to span a little over 6 octaves of a Buchla 261e?
ignatius
looks like the 896 has the best performance as far as voltage range goes.

i wonder what exactly the minimum requirements are and what can be expected from those minimum specs?
tragedybysyntax
well fuck, I have the traveler and it'll only put out 3!!! Can I even use volta?
TWINSTATES
I have got an 828 mk 2, doesn't look like it pumps out that much voltage, will it work? am guessing so but with less range than say the Mk3?

Also, is it just going to a boxed and shipped version available? I sincerely hope not, i'd like a download and no manual, disk or box just as how I have bought almost all of my software in the last few years. It's easier than having to get it shipped from the states to the uk, probably quicker and much better for the environment. PDFS are the ways forward smile
stretta
The 828mkII puts out more voltage than an ultralite, which is what I use, and am perfectly happy with.

Volta will be a retail-packaged product. Contact http://www.musictrack.co.uk/ about availability in your area.
Analog>Plugins
Please please PLEASE tell me you are going to work on a Vst version for use with PC.

A lot of Cubase 4/5 and Nuendo users out there, including myself. I'm going to buy and hopefully run the Au plugin within Native Instruments Kore 2.

That should work on Mac, but I'm hoping you can load it on Kore on Pc.

Looks like I'll be putting the 828mk1 I bought on ebay lol... 2408mk3 here we come!
Analog>Plugins
Oh and any idea on the price in Uk for Volta?
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
… That should work on Mac, but I'm hoping you can load it on Kore on Pc.

No, AUs don't work under Windows.
Analog>Plugins
Looks like I'm stuck with my Hackintosh instalation on my pc until Volta comes up with a vsti solution.

I have a Yamaha CS-30, Pro-1, Odyssey, CS-5 and Oakley modular that need feeding. Midi to v is going to cost $$$ and is not sample accurate timing (more like drunk guy timing).

I'll run Cubase 5 from Hackintosh and see how that goes, I'm also thinking going down the Motu Pcie based card route as I can see with my analog synths running off an 8 output Motu firewire card is not going to be enough lol. Looks like a 24 i/o is in order soon razz
dbch
Kent wrote:
If that 8 channel mixer and doesn't roll off even more low-end/DC. If it has DC blocking caps on it then it's a no-go.

could you pull those caps and replace them with jumpers? it seems that if DC blocking caps are the problem with some of this gear then a soldering iron might be the solution...
david
tragedybysyntax
Hmm.... what's the best way to try and use the audio outs to controll the modular pre-volta? Besides making waves in ableton live like I saw the vid for? Easy ways?
cebec
Maybe try the Nord Modular G2 Demo?

http://www.clavia.se/G2/V1_40/SetupModularG2Demo_V140.zip

or

http://www.clavia.se/G2/V1_40/DemoModularG2_V140.dmg

I attached a patch that has an LFO assigned to Output 3 and a sequencer assigned to Output 4. You can boost or attenuate the output levels, as needed or reassign to different outputs. I used this method with some success when I had a G2. The outputs are not DC-coupled but you can bypass the caps (see electro-music.com forum for more info. on this).
Kent
dbch wrote:
Kent wrote:

could you pull those caps and replace them with jumpers? it seems that if DC blocking caps are the problem with some of this gear then a soldering iron might be the solution...
david

It depends upon the circuit in general. It's a system and sometimes it doesn't behoove one to change one aspect of a system without examining the rest.

In all likelihood, it would work. You could always modify one channel, test it, and roll with that for a while in order to see if any problems develop. If it works for your particular application, then make your decision as to whether you'd like to modify all of the channels.
brandon daniel
In some systems the caps are there to filter out DC inherent in the DAC design. In some they're there because it's standard practice, I guess if you get lucky, it's the latter. If it's the former, it won't be of much use to you unless you feel like offsetting some DC further down the signal path.
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
I'll run Cubase 5 from Hackintosh and see how that goes, I'm also thinking going down the Motu Pcie based card route as I can see with my analog synths running off an 8 output Motu firewire card is not going to be enough lol. Looks like a 24 i/o is in order soon razz

Does Cubase 5 host AUs? I don't think it does. You need Live, Logic, GarageBand, or some other AU host. Digital Performer can host the MAS version of Volta.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 2 of 7