MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VOLTA!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author VOLTA!
TWINSTATES
stretta wrote:
The 828mkII puts out more voltage than an ultralite, which is what I use, and am perfectly happy with.

Volta will be a retail-packaged product. Contact http://www.musictrack.co.uk/ about availability in your area.

They didn't know anything about it smile

Come on lets have a download option as well. I don't need another box, more paper etc. There is no hardware component right? (other than the Motu interface) So why on Earth make the box, ship it to the uk, airfreight?? only for me to get it and then recycle all the packaging straight away.

The Earth is f*cked and every little bit we can all do to help is a positive step.

By the way thanks for the heads up on my 824, glad it's gonna be dandy. . .
Analog>Plugins
1nput0utput wrote:
Analog>Plugins wrote:
I'll run Cubase 5 from Hackintosh and see how that goes, I'm also thinking going down the Motu Pcie based card route as I can see with my analog synths running off an 8 output Motu firewire card is not going to be enough lol. Looks like a 24 i/o is in order soon razz

Does Cubase 5 host AUs? I don't think it does. You need Live, Logic, GarageBand, or some other AU host. Digital Performer can host the MAS version of Volta.

Cubase 5 can't load Au's but Kore/Kore 2 and other hosting software that run as vsti's can.

+1 on download version, far too much packaginthese days and would save us money on the postage.
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
1nput0utput wrote:
Analog>Plugins wrote:
I'll run Cubase 5 from Hackintosh and see how that goes, I'm also thinking going down the Motu Pcie based card route as I can see with my analog synths running off an 8 output Motu firewire card is not going to be enough lol. Looks like a 24 i/o is in order soon razz

Does Cubase 5 host AUs? I don't think it does. You need Live, Logic, GarageBand, or some other AU host. Digital Performer can host the MAS version of Volta.

Cubase 5 can't load Au's but Kore/Kore 2 and other hosting software that run as vsti's can.

AudioUnits plug-ins are not compatible with Windows at all. No applications, including Kore, can host AU plug-ins under Windows.
Analog>Plugins
I know smile This is why (I did mention in earlier post), I will be using Cubase 5 in my Hackintosh until hopefully a vsti version will come along.

I can run Au's using a host within Cubase 5 running on Mac.
stretta
Does the AU to VST wrapper you're using support multiple sidechain inputs and outputs?
Analog>Plugins
It supports as many outputs as you have on your sound card.

Sidechain? In what way does Volta need this to function?
stretta
Quote:
Sidechain? In what way does Volta need this to function?

Volta is a unique plug in. It isn't stereo to stereo, mono to stereo, etc... Volta needs an output for every function you wish to use; up to 24 per instance. Volta needs some method of routing these outputs to the outside world. Hence, sidechains.
Analog>Plugins
I understand that Stretta smile (Been producing/composing professionally for 15 years)... When I here the word Sidechain though I think of sidechains on compressors etc...

Lets say for my Arp I would need 3 channels of Volta which would be using 3 channels of the Motu sound card.

1 for Pitch, 1 for Trigger and 1 for filter control. Volta also needs to be able to read the inputs from the Motu sound card so that it can calibrate the tuning of the synth.

So in the case of the Arp Odyssey I would leave the synth on for 10-15 mins so it stabilises.....connect it to Volta via the Motu soundcard.....set up a simple saw patch and link the output of the Odyssey to the input of the Motu soundcard that Volta will read from. Making sure that the 3 outputs from the soundcard that Volta will use are correctly assigned to the cv /gate inoputs of the Odyssey.

Then I would calibrate the Odyssey, when calibrated I would then set about using the Odyseyy.

Is all the above correct? Or have I missed something about the functioning of Volta?

Using any Au plugin within Native Instruments Kore loaded into Cubase 5 on a Mac gives what ever Au plugin access to what eve sound card outputs you have connected to your Daw, so I'm hoping this will work.

It could all be made a lot easier by making a vst version before someone else does. A lot of people use Pc's do write music, not everyone can afford a mac.
1nput0utput
A sidechain is an auxiliary input or output. In most uses it's an input, such as a compressor sidechain.

As I understand it, the Volta instrument plug-in has up to 24 sidechain outputs per instance. In Digital Performer, the MAS version of the plug-in can route audio directly to the audio interface's various outputs without needing to route it through the DAW's mixer. For AU hosts, some additional routing needs to occur: There must be a signal path through the DAW mixer between the Volta sidechain outputs and the audio interface outputs. Typically this would be accomplished with auxiliary tracks.

When there's an additional layer of abstraction, such as the Kore plug-in hosting the Volta plug-in within Cubase, there's another layer of complexity. Kore must be able to route Volta's sidechain outputs to the DAW mixer where they can then be routed to the interface outputs with auxiliary tracks. Therefore, the critical thing for you to know (and the question that stretta is asking you) is whether Kore is capable of presenting Volta's multiple outputs to the DAW mixing environment.
Analog>Plugins
I am certain that it can, kontakt 3 running inside Kore which is itself running as a vsti under Cubase......is able to assign it's individual outputs directly to my old Audiofire 12's outputs as seperate channels.
stretta
Yes, you've basically got the procedure down. Here is a video about calibrating monosynths with volta. This video will be linked to the Volta web pages which will be live next week.

click me

This file is at a temp location, so let's just keep this link on muffwiggler for now, lest we kill this server.
parasitk
stretta wrote:
Yes, you've basically got the procedure down. Here is a video about calibrating monosynths with volta. This video will be linked to the Volta web pages which will be live next week.

click me

This file is at a temp location, so let's just keep this link on muffwiggler for now, lest we kill this server.

Yum.
ignatius
parasitk wrote:
stretta wrote:

click me

Yum.

double yum.

live next week! hmmm...
tragedybysyntax
So... I had a nice long talk with STG on the phone last night and he was saying to check out "numerology" as it's going to be the shit for volta!!! It got me thinking of all the crazy sequencing i can start doing using the modular locked to my daw........ Jesus I can't wait!!!!!!!!! Now I just have to go buy ableton live 8 and i'm set. I dunno why but DP is breaking ma balls man.... it's just not how i write u know? Live seems so much quicker and on the fly.. if nothing else, quickly time stretch and fit modular improv stuff to current projects etc.... Prolly still keep DP to mix tho. smile
parasitk
Numerology is very very cool. I'm sure it'll be great with Volta.
astroschnautzer
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Now I just have to go buy ableton live 8 and i'm set. I dunno why but DP is breaking ma balls man.... it's just not how i write u know? Live seems so much quicker and on the fly.. if nothing else, quickly time stretch and fit modular improv stuff to current projects etc.... Prolly still keep DP to mix tho. smile
same story, just changed from logic to live 8, this is damn cool!
tragedybysyntax
no kidding? I was suprised that I can still use Mach 5 sampler and all my uad plugs in live as well. It is finally power full enough to use as a main daw to write and mix in from what I hear. I just dl'd the demo so... i'm going to start messing with it this weekend while I finish up another track for the album. Thanks man! smile
astroschnautzer
Best function in live sofar (2 days use) is that you can edit the audio clips on the fly, change individual notes pitch in a loop or correct timing flaws, or automate effect parameters all in the audio file + the eas to use+ akai apc40 (wich I have not got, yet). oh and the easy to use drag and drop samplers, mayby I start to use samplers again, this is fun.
wetterberg
astroschnautzer wrote:
oh and the easy to use drag and drop samplers, mayby I start to use samplers again, this is fun.
definitely, that part is a LOT of fun, especially if you have modular kit to sample from w00t

I can't stress enough how cool Drum Racks are in Live... for all incidental sounds you just drop them onto a grid and start sequencing. Duplicate to another slot, edit it a bit, repeat. Love love love it.
astroschnautzer
Oh, yes! Just found drumrack,this is just brilliant, it works perfect with my microkontrol pads, the micro kontrol was useless with logic, I was about to sell it, now it works as I expected when I bought it .
stretta
Quote:
So... I had a nice long talk with STG on the phone last night and he was saying to check out "numerology" as it's going to be the shit for volta!!!

I've been in touch with five12 since the NAMM show. Numerology does not currently support volta as it does not support sidechain outputs for AUs. Nor does Numerology support ramp automation. However, we are both aware that volta and numerology are really an ideal combination, and I get the sense that these features were things they were going to add anyway. Long story short, they're working on it, we're co-ordinating closely with them.

However, just because you can't host volta directly in Numerology right now doesn't mean you can't use Numerology with Volta. You can host Volta in another app and route MIDI data from Numerology into the host app. I've done this and it works.
parasitk
stretta wrote:
Quote:
So... I had a nice long talk with STG on the phone last night and he was saying to check out "numerology" as it's going to be the shit for volta!!!

I've been in touch with five12 since the NAMM show. Numerology does not currently support volta as it does not support sidechain outputs for AUs. Nor does Numerology support ramp automation. However, we are both aware that volta and numerology are really an ideal combination, and I get the sense that these features were things they were going to add anyway. Long story short, they're working on it, we're co-ordinating closely with them.

However, just because you can't host volta directly in Numerology right now doesn't mean you can't use Numerology with Volta. You can host Volta in another app and route MIDI data from Numerology into the host app. I've done this and it works.

Good to know!
Analog>Plugins
So what is the price on this going to be?

And also what sort of copy protection will it have?

Looking forward to the release.
sascha.victoria
Why isn't there any info on the MOTU site yet? Seems kind of strange to just be waiting on packaging and not have a more detailed info up about the product.
stretta
Quote:
Why isn't there any info on the MOTU site yet? Seems kind of strange to just be waiting on packaging and not have a more detailed info up about the product.

There is a blog for the development of volta. However, you've answered your own question. I stated the web pages are going up this coming week. I've also stated, as you point out, that we're waiting on the manual to be printed. This confluence isn't a co-incidence.

nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 3 of 7