MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VOLTA!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author VOLTA!
TWINSTATES
Where is it?

Its a day late already smile

By my estimate Quarter 1 ended when April 1 began.

It's lovely that stretta is getting to play around with all of these Buchlas and Moogs and whathave you but can we have the plug in now please. I honestly think I might go mad if I have to wait much longer, I have got so much stuff that i want to try doing with it.

Is it ready yet?

Is it ready now?

How about now?

smile
goiks
It would be nice to know a release date so I can fit it into my seemingly endless and underfunded acquisition scheme...
TWINSTATES
I have seen stretta on here, perhaps he can shed some light as to why the thing is ALMOST 3 DAYS LATE NOW!

smile
hogberto
yeah!

where's our Volta!. angry
stretta
Volta is comfortably in beta testing. I'll give you a run down of what we've been up to.

The design of Volta had an admittedly modular-centric focus, especially surrounding calibration. Calibrating monosynths, where the oscillators are integrated and not fully exposed, was fiddly at best.

To address this, we added a few options:
1) copy and paste of calibration profiles
2) generic calibration profiles based on your interface
3) manual (editable) calibration - so you could select a generic calibration or a copied calibration and tweak (via a graphical break point transfer function) to taste.

Hopefully, this will improve the experience of using Volta with a monosynth.

I recently got my hands on an MS-10 so we could test Hz/V. That's working now.

We also added inverted triggering which should work for various synths and added a mode for unipolar output (like the Korg which only wants to see positive voltages)

We also added an integrated (optional) lag processor on MIDI controller functions (aftertouch, mod wheel, etc) so you can smooth out that jagged MIDI without having to patch in a lag processor.

We also expanded the automatic calibration process with multi-point sampling. Our earlier, simpler calibration method worked great with most gear, but completely failed on the old moogs. Now it works - even if the CV response of the oscillator itself is non-linear.

All of the above was not anticipated. Nor were the headaches of some of the limitations of the AU format.

Playing with the Buchla was fun and all, but it has gone back to live with its rightful owner. I will say that the experience improved the operation and usefulness of Volta with _everything_.

That said, the end is in sight. I expect the final 'must do 1.0 feature' will be completed shortly and after that, it is a matter of housekeeping, clean up and addressing whatever remaining bugs come up. Testing has been pretty solid so far, most issues are more along the lines of usability and feature suggestions than bugs-bugs.

That is where were we stand at this moment. I appreciate your patience. We're dying to ship too.
TWINSTATES
Good stuff,

do you have an idea of when this tantalisingly cool piece of software might be coming out?

I have signed up to the email list 3 or 4 times in the hope that I might get some further info (sad I know but I really want to be able to automate my Shipmann and to use my (basic at the moment, just a osc and the schipmann) modular synth I have been building.

Thanks for the update. . .
NV
Sounds phenomenal. Take your time in getting everything in shape - much better to ship out a fully functional product in due time than a half-functional product in a hurry.

By the way, I'm not sure if you already addressed this or not, but can you say if there are any plans for a Volta-specific interface? I'm guessing probably not - just some wishful thinking.
goiks
thanks stretta! your work is much appreciated.
berfmurret
looking forward to it! btw. are you using plain old 1/4" to 1/8" mono cables?
stretta
Quote:
do you have an idea of when this tantalisingly cool piece of software might be coming out?

Nope, not until I have a golden master in my hands. However, I am picking out what kind of beer I'm bringing into the office when we ship. I've settled on dogfishhead 60 minute IPA and I've located the store at which I will buy it. Guinness ftw!

Quote:
can you say if there are any plans for a Volta-specific interface?

No, I can't say. Nor should you infer anything from this statement.
stretta
Quote:
are you using plain old 1/4" to 1/8" mono cables?

I have. I've been using plain old 3.5mm to 1/4" TS to TS cables since Volta first started running. I haven't had any issues.

These aren't the cables you should use, though. You should use 1/4" TRS to TS cables, with the ring 'floating' A normal 1/4" TS cable will short the ring. The audio interface will attempt to keep the signal balanced and with DC voltages, this isn't a great idea.

I haven't had any problems, though. But, the stakes aren't very high for me. If I damage the audio interface, I can go grab another one.

I just bought 32 3.5mm plugs. I'm going to take two of my 8-channel TRS to TRS Hosa snakes (from my ADAT days), cut them in half and solder the 3.5mm plugs on. That'll be a very inexpensive cable solution. I may post a video about this.
bar|none
>These aren't the cables you should use, though. You should use 1/4" TRS to TS cable

d'oh! I just ordered a shit ton of cables. Oh well, good to know. When I send it in for warranty, I didn't do it, ok?
Chuck E. Jesus
[cough]VST[/cough]
ignatzthemouse
I'm bumbendingly excited about it.
Enough to invent new compound superlatives.

I'm sure this has been asked but am i right in thinking this is currently intended as mac only and is there any plan for a pc version?
Am planning a small eurorack system and would love to be able to know if its at all worth leaving out a midi interface and selling my current external soundcard for a more suitable one. (Focusrite Saffire LE at the mo).
ndkent
stretta wrote:
Quote:
are you using plain old 1/4" to 1/8" mono cables?

I have. I've been using plain old 3.5mm to 1/4" TS to TS cables since Volta first started running. I haven't had any issues.

These aren't the cables you should use, though. You should use 1/4" TRS to TS cables, with the ring 'floating' A normal 1/4" TS cable will short the ring. The audio interface will attempt to keep the signal balanced and with DC voltages, this isn't a great idea.

I haven't had any problems, though. But, the stakes aren't very high for me. If I damage the audio interface, I can go grab another one.

I just bought 32 3.5mm plugs. I'm going to take two of my 8-channel TRS to TRS Hosa snakes (from my ADAT days), cut them in half and solder the 3.5mm plugs on. That'll be a very inexpensive cable solution. I may post a video about this.

I've not had a problem finding various short TRS splitter cables. I know Hosa used to make them up until recently. For instance I had no problem finding a lot of TRS to a well marked ring RCA jack and also out to a Tip RCA. So I plug an RCA to 1/8" into the tip if I want to avoid any potential ring issues. Never had a problem working with them.

I also have some female TRS to tip and ring TS plugs, So I'd use a long TRS cable with that.
Waz
Will Volta be usable in protools? or as a standalone?

edited to add second question
stretta
Quote:
Will Volta be usable in protools? or as a standalone?

Version 1.0 of Volta will ship as an AU and MAS plug-in for MacOS. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

...of course, an RTAS version of Volta wouldn't be very useful without a DC coupled interface...
xpander
oh- good to hear it'll be 1.2v/oct compatible... i should be picking my new 200e up from don within the week ( Cthulhu )!

here's my question- will it be able to dish out CV for alternate & user-defined tunings? this would be the bee's knees.
stretta
xpander wrote:
oh- good to hear it'll be 1.2v/oct compatible... i should be picking my new 200e up from don within the week ( Cthulhu )!

Remember, if you want to use an 896 or 896hd (not a 896 mk3)

here's my question- will it be able to dish out CV for alternate & user-defined tunings? this would be the bee's knees.

That was the plan. However, in the interest in shipping soon, this feature did not make it into 1.0. The idea was to simply support the scala format.
ndkent
stretta wrote:
xpander wrote:

Remember, if you want to use an 896 or 896hd (not a 896 mk3)

That was the plan. However, in the interest in shipping soon, this feature did not make it into 1.0. The idea was to simply support the scala format.

I don't think the 1.2v/oct is that hard to generate from a 1v/oct output if you have a CV capable mixer module capable mixer and the feature was not presently available. You'd simply mult your volta voltage, connect to linear mixer with one input at 100% and adjust a second input to 20% with a bit of tweaking. The Volta calibration features should find that transparent as far as I can guess.

What's not at all as easy to do on a Buchla 200e is to generate a trigger up to spec if you need one to trigger something, namely an envelope. Don uses a combined trigger and gate for the 281e (quad function generator) and I doubt you can produce anything easily convertible to one out of volta without additional uncommon or custom hardware (like a proposed but not yet developed Harvestman module). Alternately one could ignore the 281e module and just directly voltage control envelope shapes for an LPG or channel on the System Interface
alt-mode
Umm, Matthew was referring to the alternate tuning support not in 1.0. The 1.2v/oct support is there.

Note: for the Buchla, you need some particular interfaces that can push out bigger voltages. The older MOTU 896HD can do this with some custom cables.

Eric
xpander
ah, great news, all of it- i'm really looking forward to this software.

thankfully i still happen to have my original 896 mk1, when i bought it it was the multitrack firewire interface. oh, how times have changed...

sounds like my 896 will be the right tool to drive the 200e with Volta.

TWINSTATES
every day i hope that it's released.

Every day is a disappointment.

Here's looking at you tomorrow with hope

ha ha
stretta
Volta is 1.0 w00t
We're just waiting for the manuals to be printed.
bar|none
Whoooo hooo!

Yeees!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7