MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VOLTA!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author VOLTA!
TWINSTATES
Where is it?

Its a day late already smile

By my estimate Quarter 1 ended when April 1 began.

It's lovely that stretta is getting to play around with all of these Buchlas and Moogs and whathave you but can we have the plug in now please. I honestly think I might go mad if I have to wait much longer, I have got so much stuff that i want to try doing with it.

Is it ready yet?

Is it ready now?

How about now?

smile
goiks
It would be nice to know a release date so I can fit it into my seemingly endless and underfunded acquisition scheme...
TWINSTATES
I have seen stretta on here, perhaps he can shed some light as to why the thing is ALMOST 3 DAYS LATE NOW!

smile
hogberto
yeah!

where's our Volta!. angry
stretta
Volta is comfortably in beta testing. I'll give you a run down of what we've been up to.

The design of Volta had an admittedly modular-centric focus, especially surrounding calibration. Calibrating monosynths, where the oscillators are integrated and not fully exposed, was fiddly at best.

To address this, we added a few options:
1) copy and paste of calibration profiles
2) generic calibration profiles based on your interface
3) manual (editable) calibration - so you could select a generic calibration or a copied calibration and tweak (via a graphical break point transfer function) to taste.

Hopefully, this will improve the experience of using Volta with a monosynth.

I recently got my hands on an MS-10 so we could test Hz/V. That's working now.

We also added inverted triggering which should work for various synths and added a mode for unipolar output (like the Korg which only wants to see positive voltages)

We also added an integrated (optional) lag processor on MIDI controller functions (aftertouch, mod wheel, etc) so you can smooth out that jagged MIDI without having to patch in a lag processor.

We also expanded the automatic calibration process with multi-point sampling. Our earlier, simpler calibration method worked great with most gear, but completely failed on the old moogs. Now it works - even if the CV response of the oscillator itself is non-linear.

All of the above was not anticipated. Nor were the headaches of some of the limitations of the AU format.

Playing with the Buchla was fun and all, but it has gone back to live with its rightful owner. I will say that the experience improved the operation and usefulness of Volta with _everything_.

That said, the end is in sight. I expect the final 'must do 1.0 feature' will be completed shortly and after that, it is a matter of housekeeping, clean up and addressing whatever remaining bugs come up. Testing has been pretty solid so far, most issues are more along the lines of usability and feature suggestions than bugs-bugs.

That is where were we stand at this moment. I appreciate your patience. We're dying to ship too.
TWINSTATES
Good stuff,

do you have an idea of when this tantalisingly cool piece of software might be coming out?

I have signed up to the email list 3 or 4 times in the hope that I might get some further info (sad I know but I really want to be able to automate my Shipmann and to use my (basic at the moment, just a osc and the schipmann) modular synth I have been building.

Thanks for the update. . .
NV
Sounds phenomenal. Take your time in getting everything in shape - much better to ship out a fully functional product in due time than a half-functional product in a hurry.

By the way, I'm not sure if you already addressed this or not, but can you say if there are any plans for a Volta-specific interface? I'm guessing probably not - just some wishful thinking.
goiks
thanks stretta! your work is much appreciated.
berfmurret
looking forward to it! btw. are you using plain old 1/4" to 1/8" mono cables?
stretta
Quote:
do you have an idea of when this tantalisingly cool piece of software might be coming out?

Nope, not until I have a golden master in my hands. However, I am picking out what kind of beer I'm bringing into the office when we ship. I've settled on dogfishhead 60 minute IPA and I've located the store at which I will buy it. Guinness ftw!

Quote:
can you say if there are any plans for a Volta-specific interface?

No, I can't say. Nor should you infer anything from this statement.
stretta
Quote:
are you using plain old 1/4" to 1/8" mono cables?

I have. I've been using plain old 3.5mm to 1/4" TS to TS cables since Volta first started running. I haven't had any issues.

These aren't the cables you should use, though. You should use 1/4" TRS to TS cables, with the ring 'floating' A normal 1/4" TS cable will short the ring. The audio interface will attempt to keep the signal balanced and with DC voltages, this isn't a great idea.

I haven't had any problems, though. But, the stakes aren't very high for me. If I damage the audio interface, I can go grab another one.

I just bought 32 3.5mm plugs. I'm going to take two of my 8-channel TRS to TRS Hosa snakes (from my ADAT days), cut them in half and solder the 3.5mm plugs on. That'll be a very inexpensive cable solution. I may post a video about this.
bar|none
>These aren't the cables you should use, though. You should use 1/4" TRS to TS cable

d'oh! I just ordered a shit ton of cables. Oh well, good to know. When I send it in for warranty, I didn't do it, ok?
Chuck E. Jesus
[cough]VST[/cough]
ignatzthemouse
I'm bumbendingly excited about it.
Enough to invent new compound superlatives.

I'm sure this has been asked but am i right in thinking this is currently intended as mac only and is there any plan for a pc version?
Am planning a small eurorack system and would love to be able to know if its at all worth leaving out a midi interface and selling my current external soundcard for a more suitable one. (Focusrite Saffire LE at the mo).
ndkent
stretta wrote:
Quote:
are you using plain old 1/4" to 1/8" mono cables?

I have. I've been using plain old 3.5mm to 1/4" TS to TS cables since Volta first started running. I haven't had any issues.

These aren't the cables you should use, though. You should use 1/4" TRS to TS cables, with the ring 'floating' A normal 1/4" TS cable will short the ring. The audio interface will attempt to keep the signal balanced and with DC voltages, this isn't a great idea.

I haven't had any problems, though. But, the stakes aren't very high for me. If I damage the audio interface, I can go grab another one.

I just bought 32 3.5mm plugs. I'm going to take two of my 8-channel TRS to TRS Hosa snakes (from my ADAT days), cut them in half and solder the 3.5mm plugs on. That'll be a very inexpensive cable solution. I may post a video about this.

I've not had a problem finding various short TRS splitter cables. I know Hosa used to make them up until recently. For instance I had no problem finding a lot of TRS to a well marked ring RCA jack and also out to a Tip RCA. So I plug an RCA to 1/8" into the tip if I want to avoid any potential ring issues. Never had a problem working with them.

I also have some female TRS to tip and ring TS plugs, So I'd use a long TRS cable with that.
Waz
Will Volta be usable in protools? or as a standalone?

edited to add second question
stretta
Quote:
Will Volta be usable in protools? or as a standalone?

Version 1.0 of Volta will ship as an AU and MAS plug-in for MacOS. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

...of course, an RTAS version of Volta wouldn't be very useful without a DC coupled interface...
xpander
oh- good to hear it'll be 1.2v/oct compatible... i should be picking my new 200e up from don within the week ( Cthulhu )!

here's my question- will it be able to dish out CV for alternate & user-defined tunings? this would be the bee's knees.
stretta
xpander wrote:
oh- good to hear it'll be 1.2v/oct compatible... i should be picking my new 200e up from don within the week ( Cthulhu )!

Remember, if you want to use an 896 or 896hd (not a 896 mk3)

here's my question- will it be able to dish out CV for alternate & user-defined tunings? this would be the bee's knees.

That was the plan. However, in the interest in shipping soon, this feature did not make it into 1.0. The idea was to simply support the scala format.
ndkent
stretta wrote:
xpander wrote:

Remember, if you want to use an 896 or 896hd (not a 896 mk3)

That was the plan. However, in the interest in shipping soon, this feature did not make it into 1.0. The idea was to simply support the scala format.

I don't think the 1.2v/oct is that hard to generate from a 1v/oct output if you have a CV capable mixer module capable mixer and the feature was not presently available. You'd simply mult your volta voltage, connect to linear mixer with one input at 100% and adjust a second input to 20% with a bit of tweaking. The Volta calibration features should find that transparent as far as I can guess.

What's not at all as easy to do on a Buchla 200e is to generate a trigger up to spec if you need one to trigger something, namely an envelope. Don uses a combined trigger and gate for the 281e (quad function generator) and I doubt you can produce anything easily convertible to one out of volta without additional uncommon or custom hardware (like a proposed but not yet developed Harvestman module). Alternately one could ignore the 281e module and just directly voltage control envelope shapes for an LPG or channel on the System Interface
alt-mode
Umm, Matthew was referring to the alternate tuning support not in 1.0. The 1.2v/oct support is there.

Note: for the Buchla, you need some particular interfaces that can push out bigger voltages. The older MOTU 896HD can do this with some custom cables.

Eric
xpander
ah, great news, all of it- i'm really looking forward to this software.

thankfully i still happen to have my original 896 mk1, when i bought it it was the multitrack firewire interface. oh, how times have changed...

sounds like my 896 will be the right tool to drive the 200e with Volta.

TWINSTATES
every day i hope that it's released.

Every day is a disappointment.

Here's looking at you tomorrow with hope

ha ha
stretta
Volta is 1.0 w00t
We're just waiting for the manuals to be printed.
bar|none
Whoooo hooo!

Yeees!
ignatius
stretta wrote:
Volta is 1.0 w00t
We're just waiting for the manuals to be printed.

yayha.

anyone wanna buy my signal arts desktop sequencer!?!?!?
xpander
slick timing!! 200e due to be finished on monday!

Eel Power FTW!
Analog>Plugins
Good news!!!

Can't wait to use it. I was just reading the other thread about tested interfaces for use with Volta.

I went ahead and bought an 828mk1 as the advertising blurb says that any Motu interface with 1/4 inch jacks will work.

Now I see on that thread that Stretta says that it will be too weak grrrr

I'm hoping to run it over adat from my Eventide H8000FW (I use it as my main soiund card.

Surely if the outputs are a little too weak, could you not buy a cheap 8 channel mixer and use that to amplify the signal to the analog synths?
Kent
If that 8 channel mixer and doesn't roll off even more low-end/DC. If it has DC blocking caps on it then it's a no-go.
Analog>Plugins
Yeah I just tried it, no go :(

I'm really gutted I bought the 828mk1 it's totally usless for the job. I think maybe Motu should refine the 'any Motu that uses 1/4 inch jacks2 to include 'except the 828mk1' lol.

Imanaged to get up to middle C but not much further with that card. Oh well only £150 spent :(

Really hoping they are coming up with a dedicated interface that won't intrude on the soundcard you are already using...oh and a vst version smile
parasitk
I'm not sure I understand why people are buying interfaces for Volta before the plugin is even released. I'm sure once it's officially out there will be a list of compatible devices. If you were going to use it with Max/MSP or something I'd understand, but isn't it jumping the gun a little?
Veqtor
Analog>Plugins wrote:
Yeah I just tried it, no go :(

I'm really gutted I bought the 828mk1 it's totally usless for the job. I think maybe Motu should refine the 'any Motu that uses 1/4 inch jacks2 to include 'except the 828mk1' lol.

Imanaged to get up to middle C but not much further with that card. Oh well only £150 spent :(

Really hoping they are coming up with a dedicated interface that won't intrude on the soundcard you are already using...oh and a vst version smile

You could always use a pair of TL074's to amplify the outputs?
sascha.victoria
Sweet! I can't wait but really? Hard copies!? Its 2009. For the love of God don't put it in one of those standard oversized over packaged Guitar Center blow out boxes with a manual that is bigger then tome of every Shakespeare play. Everyone should be doing their part to save the world. Even software manufactures.

Disclaimer: if the manual is 5 pages and the cd is in a cardboard sleeve, never mind.

End rant.
Analog>Plugins
parasitk wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why people are buying interfaces for Volta before the plugin is even released. I'm sure once it's officially out there will be a list of compatible devices. If you were going to use it with Max/MSP or something I'd understand, but isn't it jumping the gun a little?

I have a little vst instrument that converts audio into cv voltage for analog synths from a Motu interface. I thought I'd give it a go.

As it is I'm hoping that I can run the olta Au plug in inside Kore 2 as Cubase 4 won't run Au's and I'm just not sure if a vsti version of Volta will be coming.

TL074 hmmm how would you best implement them?
stretta
Here is a PDF of interfaces and voltage ranges
xpander
great! looks like both the 896mk1 and 828mk3 will have me covered from the start. along with the 200e, i've got a few minimoogs, a prodigy and a pro one that are all completely relying on a Pro-2000 for CV control.

is it correct that the 896's Stereo Main Output will be able to cover approximately 7 1/2 octaves of control of a Buchla 261e, and the normal outputs will be able to span a little over 6 octaves of a Buchla 261e?
ignatius
looks like the 896 has the best performance as far as voltage range goes.

i wonder what exactly the minimum requirements are and what can be expected from those minimum specs?
tragedybysyntax
well fuck, I have the traveler and it'll only put out 3!!! Can I even use volta?
TWINSTATES
I have got an 828 mk 2, doesn't look like it pumps out that much voltage, will it work? am guessing so but with less range than say the Mk3?

Also, is it just going to a boxed and shipped version available? I sincerely hope not, i'd like a download and no manual, disk or box just as how I have bought almost all of my software in the last few years. It's easier than having to get it shipped from the states to the uk, probably quicker and much better for the environment. PDFS are the ways forward smile
stretta
The 828mkII puts out more voltage than an ultralite, which is what I use, and am perfectly happy with.

Volta will be a retail-packaged product. Contact http://www.musictrack.co.uk/ about availability in your area.
Analog>Plugins
Please please PLEASE tell me you are going to work on a Vst version for use with PC.

A lot of Cubase 4/5 and Nuendo users out there, including myself. I'm going to buy and hopefully run the Au plugin within Native Instruments Kore 2.

That should work on Mac, but I'm hoping you can load it on Kore on Pc.

Looks like I'll be putting the 828mk1 I bought on ebay lol... 2408mk3 here we come!
Analog>Plugins
Oh and any idea on the price in Uk for Volta?
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
… That should work on Mac, but I'm hoping you can load it on Kore on Pc.

No, AUs don't work under Windows.
Analog>Plugins
Looks like I'm stuck with my Hackintosh instalation on my pc until Volta comes up with a vsti solution.

I have a Yamaha CS-30, Pro-1, Odyssey, CS-5 and Oakley modular that need feeding. Midi to v is going to cost $$$ and is not sample accurate timing (more like drunk guy timing).

I'll run Cubase 5 from Hackintosh and see how that goes, I'm also thinking going down the Motu Pcie based card route as I can see with my analog synths running off an 8 output Motu firewire card is not going to be enough lol. Looks like a 24 i/o is in order soon razz
dbch
Kent wrote:
If that 8 channel mixer and doesn't roll off even more low-end/DC. If it has DC blocking caps on it then it's a no-go.

could you pull those caps and replace them with jumpers? it seems that if DC blocking caps are the problem with some of this gear then a soldering iron might be the solution...
david
tragedybysyntax
Hmm.... what's the best way to try and use the audio outs to controll the modular pre-volta? Besides making waves in ableton live like I saw the vid for? Easy ways?
cebec
Maybe try the Nord Modular G2 Demo?

http://www.clavia.se/G2/V1_40/SetupModularG2Demo_V140.zip

or

http://www.clavia.se/G2/V1_40/DemoModularG2_V140.dmg

I attached a patch that has an LFO assigned to Output 3 and a sequencer assigned to Output 4. You can boost or attenuate the output levels, as needed or reassign to different outputs. I used this method with some success when I had a G2. The outputs are not DC-coupled but you can bypass the caps (see electro-music.com forum for more info. on this).
Kent
dbch wrote:
Kent wrote:

could you pull those caps and replace them with jumpers? it seems that if DC blocking caps are the problem with some of this gear then a soldering iron might be the solution...
david

It depends upon the circuit in general. It's a system and sometimes it doesn't behoove one to change one aspect of a system without examining the rest.

In all likelihood, it would work. You could always modify one channel, test it, and roll with that for a while in order to see if any problems develop. If it works for your particular application, then make your decision as to whether you'd like to modify all of the channels.
brandon daniel
In some systems the caps are there to filter out DC inherent in the DAC design. In some they're there because it's standard practice, I guess if you get lucky, it's the latter. If it's the former, it won't be of much use to you unless you feel like offsetting some DC further down the signal path.
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
I'll run Cubase 5 from Hackintosh and see how that goes, I'm also thinking going down the Motu Pcie based card route as I can see with my analog synths running off an 8 output Motu firewire card is not going to be enough lol. Looks like a 24 i/o is in order soon razz

Does Cubase 5 host AUs? I don't think it does. You need Live, Logic, GarageBand, or some other AU host. Digital Performer can host the MAS version of Volta.
TWINSTATES
stretta wrote:
The 828mkII puts out more voltage than an ultralite, which is what I use, and am perfectly happy with.

Volta will be a retail-packaged product. Contact http://www.musictrack.co.uk/ about availability in your area.

They didn't know anything about it smile

Come on lets have a download option as well. I don't need another box, more paper etc. There is no hardware component right? (other than the Motu interface) So why on Earth make the box, ship it to the uk, airfreight?? only for me to get it and then recycle all the packaging straight away.

The Earth is f*cked and every little bit we can all do to help is a positive step.

By the way thanks for the heads up on my 824, glad it's gonna be dandy. . .
Analog>Plugins
1nput0utput wrote:
Analog>Plugins wrote:

Does Cubase 5 host AUs? I don't think it does. You need Live, Logic, GarageBand, or some other AU host. Digital Performer can host the MAS version of Volta.

Cubase 5 can't load Au's but Kore/Kore 2 and other hosting software that run as vsti's can.

+1 on download version, far too much packaginthese days and would save us money on the postage.
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
1nput0utput wrote:
Analog>Plugins wrote:

Cubase 5 can't load Au's but Kore/Kore 2 and other hosting software that run as vsti's can.

AudioUnits plug-ins are not compatible with Windows at all. No applications, including Kore, can host AU plug-ins under Windows.
Analog>Plugins
I know smile This is why (I did mention in earlier post), I will be using Cubase 5 in my Hackintosh until hopefully a vsti version will come along.

I can run Au's using a host within Cubase 5 running on Mac.
stretta
Does the AU to VST wrapper you're using support multiple sidechain inputs and outputs?
Analog>Plugins
It supports as many outputs as you have on your sound card.

Sidechain? In what way does Volta need this to function?
stretta
Quote:
Sidechain? In what way does Volta need this to function?

Volta is a unique plug in. It isn't stereo to stereo, mono to stereo, etc... Volta needs an output for every function you wish to use; up to 24 per instance. Volta needs some method of routing these outputs to the outside world. Hence, sidechains.
Analog>Plugins
I understand that Stretta smile (Been producing/composing professionally for 15 years)... When I here the word Sidechain though I think of sidechains on compressors etc...

Lets say for my Arp I would need 3 channels of Volta which would be using 3 channels of the Motu sound card.

1 for Pitch, 1 for Trigger and 1 for filter control. Volta also needs to be able to read the inputs from the Motu sound card so that it can calibrate the tuning of the synth.

So in the case of the Arp Odyssey I would leave the synth on for 10-15 mins so it stabilises.....connect it to Volta via the Motu soundcard.....set up a simple saw patch and link the output of the Odyssey to the input of the Motu soundcard that Volta will read from. Making sure that the 3 outputs from the soundcard that Volta will use are correctly assigned to the cv /gate inoputs of the Odyssey.

Then I would calibrate the Odyssey, when calibrated I would then set about using the Odyseyy.

Is all the above correct? Or have I missed something about the functioning of Volta?

Using any Au plugin within Native Instruments Kore loaded into Cubase 5 on a Mac gives what ever Au plugin access to what eve sound card outputs you have connected to your Daw, so I'm hoping this will work.

It could all be made a lot easier by making a vst version before someone else does. A lot of people use Pc's do write music, not everyone can afford a mac.
1nput0utput
A sidechain is an auxiliary input or output. In most uses it's an input, such as a compressor sidechain.

As I understand it, the Volta instrument plug-in has up to 24 sidechain outputs per instance. In Digital Performer, the MAS version of the plug-in can route audio directly to the audio interface's various outputs without needing to route it through the DAW's mixer. For AU hosts, some additional routing needs to occur: There must be a signal path through the DAW mixer between the Volta sidechain outputs and the audio interface outputs. Typically this would be accomplished with auxiliary tracks.

When there's an additional layer of abstraction, such as the Kore plug-in hosting the Volta plug-in within Cubase, there's another layer of complexity. Kore must be able to route Volta's sidechain outputs to the DAW mixer where they can then be routed to the interface outputs with auxiliary tracks. Therefore, the critical thing for you to know (and the question that stretta is asking you) is whether Kore is capable of presenting Volta's multiple outputs to the DAW mixing environment.
Analog>Plugins
I am certain that it can, kontakt 3 running inside Kore which is itself running as a vsti under Cubase......is able to assign it's individual outputs directly to my old Audiofire 12's outputs as seperate channels.
stretta
Yes, you've basically got the procedure down. Here is a video about calibrating monosynths with volta. This video will be linked to the Volta web pages which will be live next week.

click me

This file is at a temp location, so let's just keep this link on muffwiggler for now, lest we kill this server.
parasitk
stretta wrote:
Yes, you've basically got the procedure down. Here is a video about calibrating monosynths with volta. This video will be linked to the Volta web pages which will be live next week.

click me

This file is at a temp location, so let's just keep this link on muffwiggler for now, lest we kill this server.

Yum.
ignatius
parasitk wrote:
stretta wrote:

click me

Yum.

double yum.

live next week! hmmm...
tragedybysyntax
So... I had a nice long talk with STG on the phone last night and he was saying to check out "numerology" as it's going to be the shit for volta!!! It got me thinking of all the crazy sequencing i can start doing using the modular locked to my daw........ Jesus I can't wait!!!!!!!!! Now I just have to go buy ableton live 8 and i'm set. I dunno why but DP is breaking ma balls man.... it's just not how i write u know? Live seems so much quicker and on the fly.. if nothing else, quickly time stretch and fit modular improv stuff to current projects etc.... Prolly still keep DP to mix tho. smile
parasitk
Numerology is very very cool. I'm sure it'll be great with Volta.
astroschnautzer
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Now I just have to go buy ableton live 8 and i'm set. I dunno why but DP is breaking ma balls man.... it's just not how i write u know? Live seems so much quicker and on the fly.. if nothing else, quickly time stretch and fit modular improv stuff to current projects etc.... Prolly still keep DP to mix tho. smile
same story, just changed from logic to live 8, this is damn cool!
tragedybysyntax
no kidding? I was suprised that I can still use Mach 5 sampler and all my uad plugs in live as well. It is finally power full enough to use as a main daw to write and mix in from what I hear. I just dl'd the demo so... i'm going to start messing with it this weekend while I finish up another track for the album. Thanks man! smile
astroschnautzer
Best function in live sofar (2 days use) is that you can edit the audio clips on the fly, change individual notes pitch in a loop or correct timing flaws, or automate effect parameters all in the audio file + the eas to use+ akai apc40 (wich I have not got, yet). oh and the easy to use drag and drop samplers, mayby I start to use samplers again, this is fun.
wetterberg
astroschnautzer wrote:
oh and the easy to use drag and drop samplers, mayby I start to use samplers again, this is fun.
definitely, that part is a LOT of fun, especially if you have modular kit to sample from w00t

I can't stress enough how cool Drum Racks are in Live... for all incidental sounds you just drop them onto a grid and start sequencing. Duplicate to another slot, edit it a bit, repeat. Love love love it.
astroschnautzer
Oh, yes! Just found drumrack,this is just brilliant, it works perfect with my microkontrol pads, the micro kontrol was useless with logic, I was about to sell it, now it works as I expected when I bought it .
stretta
Quote:
So... I had a nice long talk with STG on the phone last night and he was saying to check out "numerology" as it's going to be the shit for volta!!!

I've been in touch with five12 since the NAMM show. Numerology does not currently support volta as it does not support sidechain outputs for AUs. Nor does Numerology support ramp automation. However, we are both aware that volta and numerology are really an ideal combination, and I get the sense that these features were things they were going to add anyway. Long story short, they're working on it, we're co-ordinating closely with them.

However, just because you can't host volta directly in Numerology right now doesn't mean you can't use Numerology with Volta. You can host Volta in another app and route MIDI data from Numerology into the host app. I've done this and it works.
parasitk
stretta wrote:
Quote:
So... I had a nice long talk with STG on the phone last night and he was saying to check out "numerology" as it's going to be the shit for volta!!!

I've been in touch with five12 since the NAMM show. Numerology does not currently support volta as it does not support sidechain outputs for AUs. Nor does Numerology support ramp automation. However, we are both aware that volta and numerology are really an ideal combination, and I get the sense that these features were things they were going to add anyway. Long story short, they're working on it, we're co-ordinating closely with them.

However, just because you can't host volta directly in Numerology right now doesn't mean you can't use Numerology with Volta. You can host Volta in another app and route MIDI data from Numerology into the host app. I've done this and it works.

Good to know!
Analog>Plugins
So what is the price on this going to be?

And also what sort of copy protection will it have?

Looking forward to the release.
sascha.victoria
Why isn't there any info on the MOTU site yet? Seems kind of strange to just be waiting on packaging and not have a more detailed info up about the product.
stretta
Quote:
Why isn't there any info on the MOTU site yet? Seems kind of strange to just be waiting on packaging and not have a more detailed info up about the product.

There is a blog for the development of volta. However, you've answered your own question. I stated the web pages are going up this coming week. I've also stated, as you point out, that we're waiting on the manual to be printed. This confluence isn't a co-incidence.

nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners
Analog>Plugins
Analog>Plugins wrote:
So what is the price on this going to be?

And also what sort of copy protection will it have?

Looking forward to the release.

So whats the damage on the wallet going to be? confused
stretta
http://www.motu.com/products/software/volta

Web pages are now live, which marks the official availability of Volta.

LIST price is $249

edit: just realized we released Volta on 4/20.
APPROPRIATE:

Rasta-nana
xpander
sweetwater is preselling for $200:

Sweetwater Volta link
stretta
Quote:

Most excellent.
ignatius
just noticed in the signal flow diagram/info from the motu site that the audio from your synth has to come back into volta to use it? is this the only way to use volta?
panda30y
Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance Dono-Kun Dance

But I'm still stuck w/ my Motu 828 mk1. very frustrating very frustrating
stretta
Quote:
just noticed in the signal flow diagram/info from the motu site that the audio from your synth has to come back into volta to use it? is this the only way to use volta?

No, that is just a convenience intended for the sum return so Volta acts more like a 'regular' virtual instrument for bounce to disc operations, etc..

However, calibration obviously requires input, but this is done though independent sidechains.
ignatius
stretta wrote:
Quote:

No, that is just a convenience intended for the sum return so Volta acts more like a 'regular' virtual instrument for bounce to disc operations, etc..

However, calibration obviously requires input, but this is done though independent sidechains.

smile awesome. love

Some E352 Cloud Terrarium audio samples
xpander
stretta wrote:
Quote:

Most excellent.

i placed my order before i even posted that... i have waaay too many cv-controlled synths to not have volta!
TWINSTATES
Still no uk info. ..

Guess we will have to wait a bit.

Probably for the packages to be airfreighted over https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

[/i]
Analog>Plugins
Stretta please please please tell me you are working on a vst version of this software Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green hyper hyper hyper
Analog>Plugins
Oh....and what copy protection does it use?
Analog>Plugins
I know I'm harping on, but it might be useful to people thinking of buying if they are told which Motu interfaces will work with Volta in the marketing info given out.

The Motu 828mk1 as you say isn't good enough to be used by Volta... but I couldn't see that on the Motu page, unless it's a clever ploy to get people to then go and buy a better interface 8_)

But two things are important to me.

1. Vst version for Pc

2. Copy protection system for the mac version...what is being used.

Cheers dude and good luck with the release.
sydilaxe
Why does it matter what copy protection it uses?!

I don't understand why people have such an issue with paying for software. I mean, Volta costs less or the same as an average analog module and offers so much more. Isn't it worth supporting the companies and individuals who are working hard on developing new tools for our systems?! I don't even own a MOTU interface (I prefer my Metric Halo converters) and Volta will probably encourage me to pick one up to dedicate to Volta.

I have to say kudos to Stretta and everyone else who supported and worked on this endeavor (all very forward thinking individuals).
wetterberg
sydilaxe wrote:
Why does it matter what copy protection it uses?!

I don't understand why people have such an issue with paying for software.
this has nothing to do with it; A number of copy protection schemes are quite invasive and can bog down your systems, and also be a general PITA... PACE and Synchrosoft have caused a lot of problems to some users... who, mind you, pay for the priviledge.

- nothing to do with piracy, sydilaxe.
sydilaxe
Which Mac software packages use PACE and Synchrosoft? Please let me know, so that I can avoid them...
alt-mode
Volta uses iLok by PACE. It has worked for me with no issues.

Eric
ignatius
alt-mode wrote:
Volta uses iLok by PACE.

that's pretty much a deal breaker for me unless they are offering a challenge response authorization and authorization on more than one computer.

also, i don't understand motu.. DP requires no dongle but their plug in does?

also, do they think people who own analog modulars and have more than one new/vintage analog synth aren't gonna cough up $200 for a plug in that's is potentially so awesome?

iLoks are dumb. they break get lost or stolen and then all your auths go with it.
parasitk
It's no different than Mach V (and maybe other MOTU paid plugins), which also uses iLok. No surprise there. I already have an iLok or URS plugs, so this is no big deal for me.
ignatius
parasitk wrote:
It's no different than Mach V (and maybe other MOTU paid plugins), which also uses iLok. No surprise there. I already have an iLok or URS plugs, so this is no big deal for me.

i have one too for the few URS plugs as well but i won't buy anymore plugs that use iLok because i want to use the plugs on my laptop as well as desktop and i don't want to deal w/the iLok sticking off my laptop or getting lost/stolent or broken when traveling or playing live. i use the URS plugs when mixing on my desktop and wish i had them for use on my laptop but there's no way i'm gonna stick that stupid piece of crap plastic in the USB port to get knackered. so it goes..

there are better ways to deal w/copy protection and better ways to treat customers.
parasitk
Actually that's a really good point. Not a biggie for EQ plugins, but I was hoping to gig with Volta on my laptop. Now I realize that's not gonna happen with an iLok – There's no way I'm taking that on tour!

Shit! very frustrating
dkcg
I like iloks better than the old com port sentinel dongles and the old dongles that daisychain into the keyboards (old school microguard), and better than flexLM which pretty much locks it to your ethernet card.

I got a bunch of Cycling74 on my ilok. Great for cross platform usage. MaxMSP on my Mac or PC.
parasitk
I have NO problem with an iLok in the studio. However it would be a nightmare for playing live. I guess I'll have to stick to MIDI-CV converters live. :(
tragedybysyntax
So... I dont understand why this is such a big deal? Why couldent you just have a seperate ilok key just for volta? just keep it in a safe spot... talking 200 bucks.. not 6k in plugins if it just so happen (most likely would not) get stolen. But I agree.... Ilok is the gayest thing next to mr. garrison.
parasitk
tragedybysyntax wrote:
So... I dont understand why this is such a big deal? Why couldent you just have a seperate ilok key just for volta? just keep it in a safe spot... talking 200 bucks.. not 6k in plugins if it just so happen (most likely would not) get stolen. But I agree.... Ilok is the gayest thing next to mr. garrison.

Dunno if you're talking to me, but if you can't see why relying on a tiny plastic usb plug on a tour is worrisome, it's because you've never toured! razz razz But again, yeah in the studio, it's no big deal at all.
xpander
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Ilok is the gayest thing next to mr. garrison.

well, technically he's transgender now, i think. i'd prefer one that looks like terrance or phillip.

i have a synchrosoft key now, i guess i need an ilok now, too. i have a crazy amount of usb connected to my iMac via powered hub.
ignatius
xpander wrote:
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Ilok is the gayest thing next to mr. garrison.

well, technically he's transgender now, i think. i'd prefer one that looks like terrance or phillip.

i have a synchrosoft key now, i guess i need an ilok now, too. i have a crazy amount of usb connected to my iMac via powered hub.

all the more reason why dongles are dumb. Pace can do challenge response but then you only get to use your plugs on one machine so if you want to use a pace plug in and do challenge response auth on two computers (one studio one laptop for live/travel) then you have to buy the plug in twice which is totally unfair and makes more sense to just pirate the damn plug in after you pay for it (which is something i've not done btw i just find a different plug in and buy/use that one). it's not like plugs that use ilok for copy protection don't get pirated.
Illiac
wow, I have to say that's very disappointing.
Analog>Plugins
Syncrosoft is the only copy protection that (since Cubase 4), that does not get cracked. Ilok gets cracked all the time, Urs for example.

I asked about copy protection because my quadcore PC runs Windows XP and also Mac Osx 10.5..... and yes I do have a legit Osx disc (but a broken macbook).

Some mac copy protection locks to your mac hardware id's this would mean that I would not be able to run it. Ilok I can, but it's about as useful as a chocolate teapot for security and adds to the cost of the software.

Will the Ilock be included with the box? Or do you have to buy that key seperate?

I will buy Volta, but would prefer vst so I could use on PC.
olilarkin
does anyone know which hosts support sample accurate midi? i guess DP does.

oli

my plugins: www.olilarkin.co.uk
Kent
Buy it or don't buy it. Rock one of these, or don't.

Analog>Plugins
Oh I'm buying it, don'y worry about that love

Even if I have to work on the mac instead of the pc.

For me the holy grail is running all my analogs in time and in tune with my Daw.

Midi to Cv convertors sounded ok with the Atari ST but modern pc's/mac's do not sound tight over midi, especially when up against sample accurate audio.

All modern Daw's do sample accurate midi when using plugin instruments.....those that say there midi interfaces are sample accurate are well.... not really telling the truth. I ran experiments with audio to midi convertors and although there is a midi delay the delay is constant.

With a midi interface I've seen for example the Midex 8 1-16ms of jitter. It sounds sloppy.

Volta is the way forward to get away from those horrid stale virtual synths that sound nothing like their analog counterparts. So thank you for making this Stretta, if it sounds like I'm putting the product down before I can assure you it's only in the interest of finding out what Volta is totally before I commit to buy.

I did buy a Motu 828mk1 off ebay before Volta was released....stupid I know....and then find out that it is not really good enough for Volta..... I can't find this information in the specifications of Volta on the Motu site.
ignatius
Kent wrote:
Buy it or don't buy it. Rock one of these, or don't.

yeah... i guess that's it until they come up with something better or want to be nicer to customers. meh
perky
i have had an ilok now for like 1 year, been touring and other stuff with it. its crap, but it works, and you can always sign up for the zero downtime, if your the type that throws things away. My dayjob is in a retail store with musical instruments, software and stuff, and i can say that we sell ALOT of software with iloks, maybe cause they cant crack it?
Waz
I'm probably not going to buy Volta now. I'm sure it will have PC support in the future, but I-Loks are terrible! I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. I ran the audio portion of the media department for my university over the summer and I was in charge of 75 (give or take) i-loks. The time I spent setting up and trouble shooting these things was amazing. I feel sorry for the person doing it this summer (it will probably be me again very frustrating ). We own all the licenses for pretty much every waves bundle. I think it would have been easier to still purchase the licenses, but install the cracked versions I found on newsgroups and torrent sites. Also, the i-lok is 40$

If people want to pirate Volta they will, the i-lok doesn't stop it. People are apt to say "Damn DRM is ruining music", but its ruining software as well. very frustrating

Other than that, Volta looks amazing and you guys did really great work on it.
we're not worthy
Kent
Yay! Another iLok flame war!
ignatius
Kent wrote:
Yay! Another iLok flame war!

it's the fly in the ointment.

bottom line is everything gets cracked. how many 'dongle emulators' made w/software have you seen? i've seen dozens and they all work for the people who use them (i don't use cracks. i pay for my software) so it seems the only people who are being effected by iLoks are paying customers who are being essentially punished.

but yeah.. Volta looks amazing. a dream come true.
Analog>Plugins
Ilok will get cracked so it would be better to charge $40 less for the software and have a straight serial number protection.

Syncrosoft is the only plugin other than the Uad-1 (which I class as a dongle with steroids), which as of Cubase 4 is yet to be cracked.

I don't mind Syncrosoft to be honest. It's never failed me yet and makes re installing Cubase 4 easy.

The burning question is will there be a pc version? I will buy Volta now if I do not have to fork out much or anything for the pc version when/if it comes out.

Stretta could you comment on the pc version?

Edit to add: I don't think this will get cracked, if it does I would hope that the modular and analog synth people would buy it. But I don't think it will get cracked, anyhow torrents are a dagerous place to go latley .... good job too, something needed to be done about piracy.
ignatius
Analog>Plugins wrote:

Edit to add: I don't think this will get cracked, if it does I would hope that the modular and analog synth people would buy it. But I don't think it will get cracked.

that's my point.. people w/a bunch of analog synths can't wait to cough up $200 for this plug in.. it's like buying a handful of modules for a bargain. thinking of all you get w/it as far as control and modulation etc it's a steal and generally speaking people who spend $100's on one module aren't going to think much about spending $200 for Volta.. its not like a bunch of laptop jockeys who essentially collect cracked plug ins are going to have any use for volta.
brandon daniel
iLok/Syncrosoft dongles are annoying as all hell, even if only because they lock you to a single functional platform to run it (IE can't simultaneously install on two computers and run both).

As a general rule, I avoid sw that uses them. But I'd make an exception for Volta.

Were I the touring sort, I'd pick up a nicely large project box, hot glue a USB hub inside, plug my dongles into the hub, and screw the whole thing together. Makes for a more sturdy, large (so less likely to get lost) item that would house your fragile little dongles.
felix
brandon daniel wrote:
Were I the touring sort, I'd pick up a nicely large project box, hot glue a USB hub inside, plug my dongles into the hub, and screw the whole thing together. Makes for a more sturdy, large (so less likely to get lost) item that would house your fragile little dongles.

I made one of these "dongle safes" for at work. It's great. Just a simple plastic project box with a hole drilled in the side for the cable from the USB hub to hang out. A little foam padding inside for shock protection and tada.
ignatius
brandon daniel wrote:
house your fragile little dongles.

that just makes me feel like less of a man. lol
brandon daniel
ignatius wrote:
that just makes me feel like less of a man. lol

Well, it *was* phrased to be intentionally-suggestive.
bar|none
Is there anyway to download Volta and just authorize the iLok?

I ordered it but says 2 weeks for delivery of the box.
Analog>Plugins
I'm still waiting for the Motu 2408mk3 I bought specifically for Volta.

I'll be hooking up the Eventide H8000FW to it over adat using the Eventides analog in and outs for audio and the 2408mk3 for Volta.

The a/d and d/a on the H8000FW is amazingly good.

But please Stretta could you put at least 3 people I know who would buy this for Pc..... that you are considering a Vst release?

A lot of people with Pc's out there
stretta
Quote:
But please Stretta could you put at least 3 people I know who would buy this for Pc..... that you are considering a Vst release?

I'm personally open to all options. Let's take this one step at a time.
Analog>Plugins
Excellent stuff Stretta smile

It's so refreshing when the person behind the product communicates with their customers.

I'll buy the version that is out now and try to use the Hackintosh (really hate the way the mouse works on a mac), with Cubase. But will wait hopefully for a vst version.

I'm quite impressed by this Motu 2408mk3 by the way. Going Pcie instead of firewire really makes a difference with latency.
parasitk
Analog>Plugins wrote:
(really hate the way the mouse works on a mac)

What do you mean? I'm curious - maybe a long time Mac user can help. If it's the left-click/right-click thing, most third party mice support and act just about exactly like a Windows mouse. Often you can even tag a controller key (such as ctrl or option) to the click. Hope that helps.
bar|none
Get an apple mighty mouse. Right click has been supported for a long time now.
ignatius
bar|none wrote:
Get an apple mighty mouse. Right click has been supported for a long time now.

right click has been supported for a million years. you just have to buy a mouse w/a right click button.

i think the apple mighty mouse is a total POS. i hated it instantly and replaced it w/a logitech.
bar|none
>i think the apple mighty mouse is a total POS
different strokes for different folks then
parasitk
I use a Logitech trackball. Stole it from my last job where it was used on a PC.
ignatius
bar|none wrote:
>i think the apple mighty mouse is a total POS
different strokes for different folks then

yeah totally. i have friends who love it but i'm a putz i guess and half the time i right click on it my finger is in just wrong place and i get the widgets popping up instead of a right click.. i need a separate dedicated space so i know just where my right finger is.
perky
i have always used Logitechs to my macs since 2000
stretta
Analog>Plugins wrote:
I'll buy the version that is out now and try to use the Hackintosh (really hate the way the mouse works on a mac), with Cubase. But will wait hopefully for a vst version.

Keep in mind Volta does not work with Cubase. Maybe there is an AU wrapper for Cubase that'll work, but I don't personally know of one and it certainly hasn't been tested.
Analog>Plugins
We've had this discussion before Stretta lol.... I will be using Kore 2 as a host for AU plugins. Kore 2 can access the individual outputs and inputs of your soundcard. I could use Live 8 over rewire hooked up to Cubase 5 as well, with Live hosting Volta.

But really what me and half of europe want is a Pc Vst version....go on....you know you want to razz

As for the mac mouse thing........

It's all about the acceleration. I'm so used to the windows mouse movements that when I go over to the mac instalation it's like moving a mouse through mud.

When you move your mouse it moveds fine, then as you slow down your movement the mouse pointer screeches to a halt and moves at 1 pixel a minuite very frustrating drives me fricking crazy. Loads of people really hacked off with this simple annoying thing.

Apparently it was fine in tiger, you had an option to tune the mouse acceleration, not so in leopard. I know it's a small thing but man it makes hard work using a mac when you are used to windows.

It's like tying your shoe laces when your hands are numb from cold.
parasitk
Analog>Plugins wrote:
Apparently it was fine in tiger, you had an option to tune the mouse acceleration, not so in leopard. I know it's a small thing but man it makes hard work using a mac when you are used to windows.

Ah, I have Tiger and the acceleration is great. I've used 10.5 though and haven't noticed any difference, so perhaps the setting is in a new place that you've missed? No idea, just guessing. I know they moved a ton of shit around in 10.5.
bar|none
The Leopard acceleration is called "Tracking" in mouse preferences.

It is exponential, meaning you move slow and it moves slowly and acccurately, you move faster and it moves exponentially faster.
bar|none
So am I right that we can't get Volta till around May 5th? Seems that it is released yet not available.

Too bad we can't simply download it since it's protected by iLok anyway. Then just simply authorize the iLok through our vendor.
stretta
Quote:
So am I right that we can't get Volta till around May 5th? Seems that it is released yet not available.

That sounds about right. We'll have manuals on Monday. The warehouse will start building packages and sending out to retailers shortly thereafter. Allow some transit time, and poof, you're at May 5th.

Incidentally, I'll be demonstrating Volta at AHNE on May 2nd. Fellow analog enthusiasts are encouraged to come out, ask questions, punch me in the gut, etc...

Quote:
Too bad we can't simply download it since it's protected by iLok anyway. Then just simply authorize the iLok through our vendor.

Waiting sucks. I'm a gear nut. I understand and empathize.
bar|none
Thanks Stretta.

I need to learn patience. I have plenty of toys to keep me busy for the next few weeks anyway.

I look forward to it though.
bar|none
Just shipped from sweetwater today!

Oooh I can't wait. Getting it for the weekend.
3vcos
So about DC offset...
is there a way to compensate for DC offset from my audio device from within Volta? I guess a DC offset adjustment feature in Volta? Anything like that?
I've already looked into modding my interface and it shouldn't be a problem...
bar|none
Are you talking about calibration of CV for pitch control of an oscillator. Volta calibrates that automatically.
3vcos
[quote="bar|none"]Are you talking about calibration of CV for pitch control of an oscillator. Volta calibrates that automatically.[/quote]

Nope. I'm talkin' DC offset. Anyone?
1nput0utput
3vcos wrote:
bar|none wrote:
Are you talking about calibration of CV for pitch control of an oscillator. Volta calibrates that automatically.

Nope. I'm talkin' DC offset. Anyone?

The marketing material doesn't say anything about that kind of feature and no one has mentioned it before. The calibration for pitch CV should compensate for DC offset because the plug-in analyzes the audio output of the oscillator according to various control voltages. However, I don't think calibration applies to other Volta generators like the LFOs or AU ramps so it won't help you with those.

If you're going to be modifying an interface anyway, shouldn't it be possible to fix the offset with further modification?
3vcos
making it dc coupled is very easy. revoming the offset is a bit more complicated.
3vcos
we'll see if the tuning feature fully compensates for this. that said any envelopes, lfos etc will have the problem.
xpander
just got an email from sweetwater than volta has shipped out to me -> Cthulhu
alt-mode
3vcos wrote:
we'll see if the tuning feature fully compensates for this. that said any envelopes, lfos etc will have the problem.

Hmm, I don't have any problem with gates or envelopes using Volta. My understanding is that Volta uses positive and negative voltages for pitch to get a wider range but uses positive only voltages for EGs and gates. I can't remember at the moment if LFOs are positive only.

Why would there be a DC offset on your outgoing interface? DC offset is more of a problem when recording than playing back, no?

Eric
stretta
3vcos wrote:
I can't remember at the moment if LFOs are positive only.

Currently, LFOs and ramps are bi-polar. I have it down as a feature request to provide a unipolar mode, which would be useful for various reasons, including for devices that only want to see positive voltage ranges like the Buchla 200e.
Bath House
I've never dealt with ilok before - is this something that comes in the box with Volta, or do I need to buy one separately?
smitty
Edited to : Included in the box with Volta.
Bath House
smitty wrote:
You need to get one of these : http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLok/

Oh, that's terrible! Is this the type of thing you can find on newegg for $8? It seems bizarre to pay $40 for something to merely hold licenses.
bar|none
I just got Volta today. The iLok was included in the box.

As much as I hate iLoks, that fact that they included it was pretty sweet, even though I already owned one from purchasing another plug that needed it but had to shell out the $50 to get it.

I was able to easily transfer the Volta license to my main iLok, so I guess I could sell the included one now if I wanted to.
Bath House
bar|none wrote:
I just got Volta today. The iLok was included in the box.

As much as I hate iLoks, that fact that they included it was pretty sweet, even though I already owned one from purchasing another plug that needed it but had to shell out the $50 to get it.

I was able to easily transfer the Volta license to my main iLok, so I guess I could sell the included one now if I wanted to.

Much better.
1nput0utput
bar|none wrote:

Don't forget to remove it from your ilok.com account before you do.
bar|none
Unfortunately, had a little stomach flu yesterday which prevented me playing with Volta. Hopefully I can manage it tonight. I did read the docs though and I am very excited. It really seems to do exactly what I want.
Ken MacBeth
- fantastic! I'm slow! I've just been reading about Volta!!- bye bye midi to CV converters then?! Like I say- I'm slow!! hihi
bar|none
Ok, I've got some experience with Volta.

Conclusion....I freakin Love, Love Love it!

For example, I was trying to dial in this patch and I was able to pitch one oscillator down -11 cents, the other up 2 octaves + 11 cents, Then add Legato and Portmento with a click of a button. Then trigger an LFO synced to the beat.

This is sick. You can still do everything with just modules but this makes my rack so much more flexible and useful for my needs.

Great work guys.

Using AutoSampler to make an EXS Sample bank from a sound now. This is new to me but I want to start doing it a lot more to capture patches I liked, even if samples are not the real expression range of analog.

This is not helping sell my Kenton is it? Doh!
parasitk
Ken MacBeth wrote:
- fantastic! I'm slow! I've just been reading about Volta!!- bye bye midi to CV converters then?! Like I say- I'm slow!! hihi

Yes! No more MIDI with its poopy resolution and timing slop!

bar|none wrote:
Ok, I've got some experience with Volta.

Conclusion....I freakin Love, Love Love it!

Awesome, I can't wait to have some cash to pick this up. hyper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 7