MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer DIY #1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer DIY #1
Waz
I received my doepfer kit in the mail today. Upon reading the instructions it says a 2.5 amp power supply wallwart is needed. I bought a 3amp PSU from a model train company. The Digitrax PS315;

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_ps_ps315.php

Can I still use it with the higher amperage?

Thanks,
-Waz
Suburban Bather
I have the same PSU. You'll be just fine. In a synth gear whore nerdy way, I love how that PSU says Digitrax on it and its powering some of my modules Eel Power FTW!
chinard
the higher amperage just means the transformer will take more load.
The DIY#1 power supply itself will only use up 2.5 of that 3 amp so you should be good.
Hi5
I am in a similar situation and have a 19V 4A wall transformer. Do you think these specs are too much for the DIY kit#1 power supply?
I know the regulator can handle up to 30V but my concern is giving it almost double the current.

thanks,
b.
chinard
i think you are confusing voltage and amperage.

I am terrible at explaining this but just try to think of it like water.
voltage=pressure (PSI) and amperage=flow volume(gallons per second)
In the case of your 4A transformer, the DIY1 will only use up to 2.5A leaving 1.5A of overhead.
If you were to use a transformer rated lower than 2.5A then you would start running out of pressure as you exceeded that amperage.

ok its not a perfect analogy but its my best attempt
Hi5
I know the difference between the two but wanted to see if anyone knew how well the diy kit would handle the extra current(good analogy though!). The regulator on the board can handle up to 30V but with the extra current going through the unit will probably get a bit hotter. The heatsink is huge though and I found on the doepfer list an older post where dieter mentioned a new suitable transformer for US users of the diy kit and it was a 4A one from jameco. so, looks like things should work out fine.

thanks,
b.
jjclark
The current "going through the unit" has nothing to do with the rated current of the power supply. It depends on the load you have connected to the supply. If you are driving say 30 doepfer modules with a draw of 30mA each, then the load current will be 900mA, and not 2.5A or 4.0A or whatever the rating is on your supply.

The power dissipation of the voltage regulator depends on the load current (900mA in this case) and the drop between the wallwart voltage (19V here) and the regulator output voltage (12V). In this case the regulator would be dissipating 0.9x7=6.3Watts. Some of this power might be dissipated by resistors or transistors, depending on the circuit design.

In any event, the fact that you are using a 4A supply versus a 2.5A supply makes no difference whatsoever to the power dissipated by the regulator.

The main advantage of using a 4A wallwart is that it will run cooler than the 2.5A wallwart for a load more than 1.5A or so. The disadvantage is that it is heavier, might give off a louder hum, and be more expensive.
Waz
chinard wrote:
i think you are confusing voltage and amperage.

I am terrible at explaining this but just try to think of it like water.
voltage=pressure (PSI) and amperage=flow volume(gallons per second)
In the case of your 4A transformer, the DIY1 will only use up to 2.5A leaving 1.5A of overhead.
If you were to use a transformer rated lower than 2.5A then you would start running out of pressure as you exceeded that amperage.

ok its not a perfect analogy but its my best attempt

Good analogy!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1