MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gate Lengths on Pressure Points + Brains combo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Gate Lengths on Pressure Points + Brains combo
Count Edlington
Does anyone know what the length of the gate is when Pressure Points is paired with brains?

For example: When brains steps through Points, is it a set gate length or does it change depending on the length between each step?

I would like to be able to use long adsr curves with a slow stepping PP+Brains combo and just want to know if it will work or not....
Navs
PP's gates are high for the duration that each stage is selected.

However, when used with Brains, you lose the common gate out.

A workaround is to mult the clock signal. This allows you to have different gate lengths for each step if, for example, your LFO has PWM. The time between PP stages will remain the same using this method.

If you want different timings between steps, VC your clock with one PP row.
de_raaf
isn't possible to get gates out from the first (above) tunned cv out?
Count Edlington
So I would need to use the individual gate outs for triggering of envelopes?
Navs
de_raaf, yes, you can use any CV row to generate an on/ off gate i.e. ccw = 0v/ off, cw= 5/8v on.

Count Edlington, depends on what you want to do. If you want one long on-period with changing pitches, trigger an AD EG with gate one. If you want to re-trigger the EG with each step/ new note, use the clock source. Is this what you're after?
Count Edlington
Navs wrote:
de_raaf, yes, you can use any CV row to generate an on/ off gate i.e. ccw = 0v/ off, cw= 5/8v on.

Count Edlington, depends on what you want to do. If you want one long on-period with changing pitches, trigger an AD EG with gate one. If you want to re-trigger the EG with each step/ new note, use the clock source. Is this what you're after?

Yes that's what I'm after its just my gate source is just a trigger and so its not long enough to trigger long envelopes so I was hoping the gates on the pressure points would be sufficient for this. Do you know of any actual gate sequencers?
mikecameron
there was a thread around here a month or so ago about combining PP+Brains with Maths to generate different gate lengths per step.. perhaps a variation of that patch. Now that I think about it.. with a maths, you could use the one-bit memory patch and use gate one from PP as ON, and another later gate as OFF.
WaveRider
Count Edlington wrote:

Yes that's what I'm after its just my gate source is just a trigger and so its not long enough to trigger long envelopes so I was hoping the gates on the pressure points would be sufficient for this. Do you know of any actual gate sequencers?

man, I was doing the same yesterday, I concluded I needed a gate combiner to do this..... I had the clock but it was just a trigger, PP gave me the nice long gates I wanted, but I could not route the 4 gates to 1 enveloppe.
mikecameron
Looks like a job for the Short Bus! This could actually be fun with the 2 different busses and switches...
makenoise
mikecameron wrote:
Looks like a job for the Short Bus! This could actually be fun with the 2 different busses and switches...

No other modules are needed to combine the gates from the Make Noise modules. René, BRAINS, Pressure Points Gate Outs are all able to be stacked at a clock or gate input without using external mixer, gate combiner and etc...
Johnisfaster
Navs wrote:

A workaround is to mult the clock signal. This allows you to have different gate lengths for each step if, for example, your LFO has PWM. The time between PP stages will remain the same using this method.

Doesnt T gate out become the common gate out?
makenoise
Johnisfaster wrote:
Navs wrote:

Doesnt T gate out become the common gate out?

For Touch Gates yes, but for gates initiated by a Clock you would just mult said clock.

T
WaveRider
makenoise wrote:

For Touch Gates yes, but for gates initiated by a Clock you would just mult said clock.

T

well it depends on the pulse length of the clock, if you mult it... but PP holds the gate as long as the stage is held, so if you clock it with triggers, you don't have access to the long gates PP is doing
Count Edlington
I don't see why there isn't a sequencer with programmable gate lengths, that would be very handy for us ADSR folks....
negativspace
The uStep is a gate sequencer and has settable gate lengths, but not per-step so maybe not exactly what you're looking for.
makenoise
WaveRider wrote:
makenoise wrote:

T

well it depends on the pulse length of the clock, if you mult it... but PP holds the gate as long as the stage is held, so if you clock it with triggers, you don't have access to the long gates PP is doing

You do, since you could just stack the longer gates from the individual stages you want to use, to the input of your envelope generator. Use stack cables or mult. Program your synth with patch cables.

T
WaveRider
makenoise wrote:
Use stack cables or mult.
T

Good idea I'll use that, the gates never overlap anyway
mikecameron
makenoise wrote:
mikecameron wrote:

No other modules are needed to combine the gates from the Make Noise modules. René, BRAINS, Pressure Points Gate Outs are all able to be stacked at a clock or gate input without using external mixer, gate combiner and etc...

Right, not necessary to use another module to combine them, but using the short bus would make it "playable" without yanking on cables. I patched this up and it was actually quite fun having multi-step gates that are switchable on the fly between 2 EGs and off. Might not have been exactly what the original post was looking for, but I hadn't thought about doing this until now.
Navs
makenoise wrote:
Program your synth with patch cables.

thumbs up hihi

Post of the Forum!
Count Edlington
makenoise wrote:
WaveRider wrote:
makenoise wrote:

T

You do, since you could just stack the longer gates from the individual stages you want to use, to the input of your envelope generator. Use stack cables or mult. Program your synth with patch cables.

T

Yeah thats a cool idea, I have a quad ADSR so each stage could use a different envelope which would be very cool plus each stage could also use different wave form combinations, etc.
Count Edlington
negativspace wrote:
The uStep is a gate sequencer and has settable gate lengths, but not per-step so maybe not exactly what you're looking for.

Yeah thats cool but I would like a more fully featured sequencer like that with more outs.
revoltcrews
makenoise wrote:
mikecameron wrote:

No other modules are needed to combine the gates from the Make Noise modules. Ren�, BRAINS, Pressure Points Gate Outs are all able to be stacked at a clock or gate input without using external mixer, gate combiner and etc...

just got the brains/points combo. and i have a shortbus v2.
curious tho, so, i can stack the 4 pp gate outs directly into maths channel 1,
and then use EOR out to my Linix cv in ?
pfaffenberg
Stacking all four gate outs (if running brains w/ only a sing PP) is the equivalent to your incoming clock.. But, yes, in general Tony is stating that you can stack the gate outs, as opposed to having to use a mixer is all.
revoltcrews
pfaffenberg wrote:
Stacking all four gate outs (if running brains w/ only a sing PP) is the equivalent to your incoming clock.. But, yes, in general Tony is stating that you can stack the gate outs, as opposed to having to use a mixer is all.

right, so i've tried a couple routes and have had no success in stringing the 4 gate outs of pp together.
-stacked into Maths ch1, nothing really happens except one long gate
-sent 4 gates to inputs 1-4 on short bus, sent those out from OutPut A of said ShortBus to Linix CV in, nothing happens except one long gate

i did however have success in simply using the Quad Clock Distributor as both Clock to Brains, and Clock to Maths, to sync. which is fine, cuz then the Gates of PP are freed up.
VortexRanger
revoltcrews wrote:

-stacked into Maths ch1, nothing really happens except one long gate
-sent 4 gates to inputs 1-4 on short bus, sent those out from OutPut A of said ShortBus to Linix CV in, nothing happens except one long gate

i did however have success in simply using the Quad Clock Distributor as both Clock to Brains, and Clock to Maths, to sync. which is fine, cuz then the Gates of PP are freed up.

When Pressure Points is connected to Brains, exactly one gate output is high at all times (the gate output for whichever stage is active). This is so you can patch a particular gate out to the Brains inputs to create different behaviors, for example patch one gate to Direction to bounce between two steps until a different plate is touched or the sequence is reset. Patch to Reset to create a different length sequence immediately.

Mixing or ORing all the gates will result in constant gate high because there will be no low point between stages. Multing the clock, as you have done, is the way to get a gate at every stage.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2